2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

We could see smaller beam wing than Austria for sure and this might cover both weaker diffuser and new "rear" wing.

Trying out a 4th rear wing design of the season can only be a new low-mid-load wing between Spa 23 and current mid-load wing used since launch. This does not make sense in Silverstone, might be a trial for a new Spa spec. Last year McLaren ran what evolved into their mid-high-load wing in Barcelona, downforce is needed in the old airfield
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 18:34
SoulPancake13 wrote:
01 Jul 2024, 16:16
Sure, but maybe something is just rubbing me the wrong way. The way Vasseur explains it makes it seem like a small issue easily fixed... if this is the case then I will be more than pleased but from what I can tell it seems they have no clue where to start to fix it.
Let's not overreact to every little thing, there's really no need. :) SF23 was in a far worse condition at this time last year and it finished 2nd in the race thanks to Leclerc's track position basically. Verstappen had 25s advantage and pitted to go for a fastest lap just because he could last year, this year Sainz was 18s behind when Verstappen and Norris came together.

In Suzuka Max had 21s advantage over Ferrari (Sainz) and 24s in China (Leclerc), even with these clear bouncing issues there is progress since 5-6 races ago. The current feeling of big slump comes from decent results in Miami, Imola and Monaco and a big step from Mercedes, coupled with some bad work in the garage and bad luck in 2 of the last 3 races.

They are pushing aero to the limit and they can likely find 2-3 tenths without bouncing and 1-2 tenths more with drivers' confidence if they find the right solution.
Yes, "Let's not overreact to every little thing" and in general.
They need a hard work to find the solution for the bouncing, that is to say time and as I said, if they manage to do that in 2-3 races I'll be very happy, since it is a quite complicated problem.
So, if they find 3-5 tenths it'll be excellent and according to analises they will, if I remember right CL (in Spain) easy lost about 0,5 sec in the driven parts and fast curves caused by the compromised set-up to cure the bouncing.

jambuka
jambuka

They will cure bouncing. The cured it before. I believe in the 80-20 principle. They should get the remaining 20% of the upgrade.

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
02 Jul 2024, 22:13
Yes, "Let's not overreact to every little thing" and in general.
They need a hard work to find the solution for the bouncing, that is to say time and as I said, if they manage to do that in 2-3 races I'll be very happy, since it is a quite complicated problem.
So, if they find 3-5 tenths it'll be excellent and according to analises they will, if I remember right CL (in Spain) easy lost about 0,5 sec in the driven parts and fast curves caused by the compromised set-up to cure the bouncing.
Nothing is given in terms of performance when they solve those issues, it depends on how they solve them etc. But if they do it in a good way that doesn't cost them any performance, there's a decent chance they get 3-4 tenths for sure, while 2 tenths are the bare minimum in my view.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

KimiRai
KimiRai

According to formu1a.uno "Aston Martin expects a response from Newey in the next few days , more precisely within this week. It is clear that the technical future of Ferrari will depend on this response"

Cardile accepted the offer but the departure is not announced yet due to contract reasons.

https://formu1a.uno/it/aston-martin-att ... -arrivare/

Space-heat
Space-heat

KimiRai wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 13:59
According to formu1a.uno "Aston Martin expects a response from Newey in the next few days , more precisely within this week. It is clear that the technical future of Ferrari will depend on this response"

Aston taking Cardille and Newey would be funny. I wonder does Cardille go where ever Newey doesn't. The Formula Uno people were saying they think part of the reason Cardille leaving was Newey incoming...Ill try to find the twitter reply and link.

edit: It was Mariano Froldi (https://x.com/FUnoAT) - https://x.com/MarianoFroldi/status/1808089028794732647
I am not sure how reliable they are, so the above may be wrong.

Venturiation
Venturiation

KimiRai wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 13:59

Cardile accepted the offer but the departure is not announced yet due to contract reasons.

Is cardile still working on the upgrades?

yooogurt

Space-heat wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 14:10
Aston taking Cardille and Newey would be funny. I wonder does Cardille go where ever Newey doesn't. The Formula Uno people were saying they think part of the reason Cardille leaving was Newey incoming...Ill try to find the twitter reply and link.
And they take Andy Cowell as well.
But "Cardile's farewell is not related to persistent rumors of Ferrari's important interest in Adrian Newey"
https://formu1a.uno/it/clamoroso-ferrar ... on-martin/
FORZA FERRARI!

ScuderiaLeo

Formu1a.uno did another livestream. You can find the VOD on their Twitch. Here are the main points they discussed.

- Ferrari know doing 2 big packages together was a risk, but they're still optimistic about the changes brought by the recent one [Barcelona]. Because of this, no major part upgrades for Silverstone.
- On the other hand, some at Maranello feel like they are not being risky enough when it comes to the front of the car. Ferrari understand they need to go all out on the aggressive front end and the current design isn't enough compared to what the other teams are doing.
- The suspension design of the SF-24 is simply too conservative and is clearly part of the issue. It will be drastically changed for 2025. This was not a decision made by Cardile. Serra will mainly focus on the 2026 car, but will be there to give advice on next year's.
- Both drivers are dedicated to running any comparisons necessary at Silverstone to understand the package. In the paddock and in the factory, there's an understanding that the problem is large at the moment. Expect a lot of mechanical (set up) adjustments.
- By comparisons they mean, for example, they will be trying some new/different outlap techniques this weekend to solve the tire heating problem.
- Nothing about Newey.

wowgr8
wowgr8

Feels like we've been hearing about the front end/front suspension nonstop since 2019

ScuderiaLeo

wowgr8 wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 00:01
Feels like we've been hearing about the front end/front suspension nonstop since 2019
Because we have :D

Seems like they're expecting Serra to bring big many ideas, the impression was that Ferrari is putting a lot of faith in him. It surely can't get worse than this, so I'm hopeful. They just need to listen to his ideas and not be so conservative about big change.

KimiRai
KimiRai

According to Diego Catalano (unsure of his validity as a source, but posting anyways):

"the problem is the disharmony that has been created between the mechanical and aerodynamic parts."

"Simply put – we are pragmatic people and will avoid sweet-talking you with high-flown, provincial terms – the load generated by the new aerodynamic design is not supported by adequate suspension systems."

"Maranello is paying for a not very aggressive policy on the mechanical front which, in fact, is limiting the action of the aerodynamics . It is everyone's mistake, however, because a car is the result of a symbiotic work between design areas and here, it now seems evident, something has not gone right."

"Starting from Friday, several comparative tests are expected between the cars of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz and when this happens, after three races from the introduction of the innovations that have not proved to be life-saving, it is never a good sign."

https://www.formulacritica.it/ferrari-s ... agna/news/

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 00:31
It surely can't get worse than this, so I'm hopeful.
We are still fighting at the front in terms of general laptime competitiveness. Of course things can be worse than this. It is very possible to actually be MUCH worse than this. Being disappointed with lack of progress compared to others is understandable, but it's good to have some perspective here with regards to where Ferrari are at now.

Nothing about 2026 is guaranteed at all. We could be anywhere from dominant to fighting for 8th in the constructor's. It's going to be a fairly big reset. And personally, a lot of the good feelings I was having about our technical situation have diminished somewhat lately.

As for Ferrari getting the bouncing sorted out, the sim is obviously not helping in this regard. Which isn't surprising as advanced as they are nowadays, they dont actually have super sophisticated aero modeling going on, and especially a complicated combination of aerodynamics and suspension dynamics is too much for any sim to accurately simulate. So it's gonna have to be done at the track, and is probably a good reason to disregard practice results moreso than usual, cuz this really is a paramount issue.

I'm not super hopeful. Mercedes spent way too long trying to chase on-paper downforce gains until learning that consistent and usable downforce is simply the way to go. And I worry about how incredibly fine tuned the setup could need to be to solve this issue and whether or not such a narrow setup will have other drawbacks. If it's even solvable at all...

EDIT: Also, whatever happened to the supposed 20% of the upgrade that was to come this weekend?

trinidefender
trinidefender

While technically Haas news I figured it would also be of interest to Ferrari fans. Oliver Bearman racing for Haas in 2025 to the surprise of no one.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... /10631054/

Space-heat
Space-heat

KimiRai wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 07:44
According to Diego Catalano (unsure of his validity as a source, but posting anyways):

"the problem is the disharmony that has been created between the mechanical and aerodynamic parts."

"Simply put – we are pragmatic people and will avoid sweet-talking you with high-flown, provincial terms – the load generated by the new aerodynamic design is not supported by adequate suspension systems."

"Maranello is paying for a not very aggressive policy on the mechanical front which, in fact, is limiting the action of the aerodynamics . It is everyone's mistake, however, because a car is the result of a symbiotic work between design areas and here, it now seems evident, something has not gone right."

"Starting from Friday, several comparative tests are expected between the cars of Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz and when this happens, after three races from the introduction of the innovations that have not proved to be life-saving, it is never a good sign."

https://www.formulacritica.it/ferrari-s ... agna/news/
It is disappointing that after being supposedly suspension-limited in 23' that is was not fixed for this year.

Only hope is the Merc had a similar bouncing issue earlier this year - (https://formu1a.uno/it/mercedes-la-w15- ... -bouncing/) and seem to have remedied it but atm they are still losing fast corners relative to RBR and Mcl (Austria).

This is from a recent GP Austria/Barcelona - Image

This bump creating extra space where the suspension is, was not there in Japan Image

So I'm going to put my head in the sand and hope they can fix this...