Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
briant1
briant1

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

Can anybody think of why Williams has chosen to place the additional heat outlets at the top of the engine cover, either side of the fin? As far as I'm concerned that should not be a very hot part of the car (as opposed to the back of the sidepods where other have created openings), so hot air would have to be routed there? Plus isn't the most important objective in that area to create a clean air flow which then attaches optimally to the rear wing? This surely wont be helped be creating turbulences through hot air outlets?

(see also: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... /1090.html)

Seamus
Seamus

I remember VJM03. Of course, if my eyes don't deceive me again.. ( :

and Williams of course

Sevach
Sevach

In the FW16 that wasn't a heat outlet, it was a limitation the rules put on airboxes.

Huntresa
Huntresa

Sevach wrote:In the FW16 that wasn't a heat outlet, it was a limitation the rules put on airboxes.
But it msut have become an airoutlet tho ?

Sevach
Sevach

Huntresa wrote:
Sevach wrote:In the FW16 that wasn't a heat outlet, it was a limitation the rules put on airboxes.
What do you mean? Now it's an air outlet sure, in the 94 season it was something done to reduce power, every car had that and as soon as the reg was dropped they all closed it off.

LookBackTime
LookBackTime

Pastor/Williams Hungaroring podcast:

http://www.williamsf1.com/Team/Media/Po ... Maldonado/

Huntresa
Huntresa

Sevach wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
What do you mean? Now it's an air outlet sure, in the 94 season it was something done to reduce power, every car had that and as soon as the reg was dropped they all closed it off.
What i meant was that since they had to have that hole it become an air outlet, as it let out air :P

Sevach
Sevach

As much as a car without an airbox at the roll hoop let's air out.

In the 95 season one new team, Forti, designed their car without and airbox just the roll hoop, it raced that way the first couple of races.

stefan_
stefan_

Belgium 2013 - Thursday (22.08.2013)

via AMuS
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

JDC123
JDC123

relatively large rear wing on the williams shows they are clearly struggling with rear downforce from the coanda exhaust still

roadie

I guess running a dragier rear wing might hurt a lot in qualifying with only two places to get the DRS open and so much time at full throttle at Spa and Monza...

Sevach
Sevach

We can't be sure that's the wing they will run in the end.

FW17

that is the same wing they had in canada

stefan_
stefan_

This is the RW they'll use at Spa.

via Tobias Grüner
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Seamus
Seamus

RW from Canada i think