COTA Austin - construction and infrastructure

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the prospect of a USGP 2012 at Austin Texas

Good thinking. Place has good infra structure and nice climate in winter.
47%
Not good as it has no motor sport tradition in the US.
9%
I will wait to see how it will shape up.
36%
I don't care.
9%

Total votes: 269

donskar
donskar

Re: 2012 US GP to be held in Austin

mx_tifosi wrote:Well this is quite a bummer, 2012 will be a very important year for me and it now seems like F1 won't be a part of it. I'll just have to wait until 2013, but as long as I get to see/hear the V8's I'm fine.
F1 should NOT be a primary force in ANYONE'S life. It is a business whose sole goal is to amximize profit for its owners. It can provide a great deal of entertainment and intellectual stimulation, but that is secondary to the primary goal of Bernie and his masters -- $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

Jeffsvilleusa wrote:Looks like Bernie didn't go for their contract, but he is holding out for his own. Why don't they sign already!
Behind the scene there have obviously been two options for some time.

Plan A was to boot out Hellmund and negotiate a better deal with Bernie. That was stupid in the first place because Bernie picks his contract options and his business partners. He always fulfils his contractual obligations and if he is asked to accommodate a business partners problem he will usually find a way to limit his damages or even increase profit due to changes requested by the other side.

Plan B apparently was to make peace with Hellmund at close to zero cost and use his favourable contract terms. That option has been shot down by Bernie who went public with the mess around the Korean GP time. Bernie has made some very nice comments about Hellmund in the last weeks and that signals that he is pissed off by Epstein's tactic of cutting cost by playing hardball with Hellmund.

What we have seen in the past three months may have been an attempt to alternate between Pan A and Plan B in negotiation rounds. If that was the strategy I find it extremely ill conceived.

Bernie's single reason for being in business is the exercising of power. If you want a better deal from him there is only one way. You present a situation where he can only minimize his damages by making a concession and you do it without the public knowing what is going on. Unfortunately Bernie almost never gets trapped in such a position because he usually has two or three rows of ducks lined up in reserve. He simply switches strategy and leaves the smart ass holding the bag.

It is difficult to predict what Epstein will do. He can take Bernie's terms and suffer a huge profit hit or he folds and looses his investment. Whatever he does he will look like a fool. He probably deserves it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

FW17

I sense that Tevo did not want to pay COTA for the use of the facility and thought he could behave like Bernie and be unreasonable because he had the contrast.

Glad the Texans kicked that little snake

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WilliamsF1 wrote:I sense that Tevo did not want to pay COTA for the use of the facility and thought he could behave like Bernie and be unreasonable because he had the contrast.

I'm pretty sure your sense needs calibration.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

WhiteBlue

hairy_scotsman wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:I sense that Tevo did not want to pay COTA for the use of the facility and thought he could behave like Bernie and be unreasonable because he had the contrast.

And the recognition of facts as well. Tavo founded the business of bringing F1 to Austin. He got the company the F1 contract and the guaranty of the METF money. That was his input as a share holder while all other parties brought in money, PR resources and other contracts like MotoGP. We do not know how the shares were distributed at different times between the contractual partners. We only know that Hellmund finally got into a position were his work was compensated by a salary in 2010.

Hellmund's role wasn't one of a financial director. He was putting the required elements of the show together to make an F1 race possible and he would probably have kept the role of running and promoting that race if the relationships between him and Epstein had not gone sour. That was a perfectly sensible plan and would not have required Hellmund to pay any money to CotA. The opposite is the reality in F1 racing. The promoter and through him the circuit owner and his investors pay the promoter and eventually FOM the F1 sanctioning fee. They try to cover those expenses by sponsorship, public subsidies, entry ticket fees and additional activities that can be attracted to the facility by the promotion of the F1 race.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Pup
Pup

Well, if we're going to talk facts, then lets get them on the table.

1. Bernie says that Tavo wasn't meeting his contract obligations prior to COTA ever being involved. He hasn't been specific about what those obligations were.

2. According to Bernie, COTA was willing to meet Tavo's obligations, but obviously they had to buy out Tavo's contract to do so. (i.e., they're not just going to pay his debts and let him keep the contract.)

3. Somewhere prior to or during that negotiation, the date for paying Bernie's advance fee came and went. Tavo had apparently negotiated a fixed payment date with Bernie; but the state money he was counting on wasn't paid because when the GP was moved on the calendar, the state moved their corresponding date for advancing the money. The state was to pay 1 year in advance of the race (TX law doesn't allow anything earlier). It may be that this date change is the crux of the whole affair, and is what Bernie was referring to above.

4. So, even while negotiating to sell his contract, Tavo needed to either renegotiate his payment date with Bernie, find another source for the money, or default.

5. Whether or not this negotiation was happening, Bernie went on record stating that the future of the GP was in doubt.

6. As a result of that uncertainty and the politics surrounding race, combined with the announcement of the NJ race, Texas said that they were no longer willing to pay any money in advance. (They are still willing to pay, just not in advance.)

7. One day after TX axed the advance payment, Bernie tells the press that Tavo was 6-months in default and as a result the contract had been cancelled. Tavo also goes to the press and makes as yet unsubstantiated claims about COTA being underfunded and behind schedule. He also says that he "doesn't know" if Bernie is now asking for more money than he was before.

Now, draw what conclusions you will; but to me this looks a lot like Bernie taking advantage of a technicality of the contract in order to renegotiate a higher fee. I think it's a fair question to ask why Bernie wasn't willing to allow a delayed payment of his fee. I think it's fair to question Tavo's claims, especially when Bernie himself implied that it was Tavo who was the problem. I think it's fair to question the coincidence of all this coming to a boil right after the NJ race was announced. And I think it's fair to question both Bernie and Tavo's good faith in the affair, considering their relationship and considering the current accusations Bernie is facing about doing side deals with individuals he's supposed to be negotiating with.

Frankly, I guess the problem is that Bernie didn't anticipate that his comments to the press would cause TX to get cold feet and back out of their advance payments. That put a completely unexpected wrench in the works, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that COTA is using that to actually negotiate a lower fee rather than the higher one that I think Bernie was hoping for.

references:
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... taint.html
http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/ne ... ml&BID=669
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... ula_austin
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/f1- ... 77383.html
http://www.politifact.com/texas/stateme ... -formula-/
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... in_f1.html
Last edited by Pup on 01 Dec 2011, 22:52, edited 5 times in total.

volarchico
volarchico

All of this seems extremely complex and better off left to the lawyer type and not the technical people (such as myself). So can someone (you lawyer types who understand contracts and political maneuverings) throw me a bone and keep it simple: will the Austin GP happen next year or not? If we don't know yet, when will we know? Thanks!

WhiteBlue

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2723 ... r-slim-jr/

Bernie as usual has his second row of ducks nicely lined up. A GP in Canada, the USA, Mexico and Brazil covers the Americas perfectly. He will not have any pressure from FOTA and FiA if he pushes that option. It is a perfect tool to further pressurize Epstein. A classical win/win for the old rascal and potentially Hellmund. What if Bernie told his old pal that he can promote the Mexican GP if the Austin scheme fell through?

cossie
cossie

The little troll doesn't give a crap about anyone unless he gets his $$$$, but lets see how his little bribery problems turn out

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

WhiteBlue wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

And the recognition of facts as well. Tavo founded the business of bringing F1 to Austin. He got the company the F1 contract and the guaranty of the METF money. That was his input as a share holder while all other parties brought in money, PR resources and other contracts like MotoGP. We do not know how the shares were distributed at different times between the contractual partners. We only know that Hellmund finally got into a position were his work was compensated by a salary in 2010.

Hellmund's role wasn't one of a financial director. He was putting the required elements of the show together to make an F1 race possible and he would probably have kept the role of running and promoting that race if the relationships between him and Epstein had not gone sour. That was a perfectly sensible plan and would not have required Hellmund to pay any money to CotA. The opposite is the reality in F1 racing. The promoter and through him the circuit owner and his investors pay the promoter and eventually FOM the F1 sanctioning fee. They try to cover those expenses by sponsorship, public subsidies, entry ticket fees and additional activities that can be attracted to the facility by the promotion of the F1 race.
Good posting, but just so you know, the MotoGP rights sit with Hellmund as well.

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

Pup wrote:2. According to Bernie, COTA was willing to meet Tavo's obligations, but obviously they had to buy out Tavo's contract to do so. (i.e., they're not just going to pay his debts and let him keep the contract.)
I don't recall Bernie ever saying COTA was willing to meet Tavo's obligations (maybe you can point me to that). He did say they wanted to work a deal with Bernie for the rights, and that he had told them to work that out with Tavo, who at that time held the rights.

All of this mess, including the pulling of the advance payment and all that goes with it --- the potential loss of MotoGP, the loss of the "friends & family fare", AND the new future payment security being demanded by Bernie --- could have been averted by COTA had they simply paid the fee under the previous deal set up by Tavo.

If they had the money and were willing to pay up as you say, then why did they not just do so while Tavo still held the race rights? If they had, they'd be preparing to receive their METF reimbursement.

Instead, they withheld payment, which forced Bernie to void Tavo's contract.

Why?
Now, draw what conclusions you will; but to me this looks a lot like Bernie taking advantage of a technicality of the contract in order to renegotiate a higher fee.
So then why didn't they pay at the lower sanctioning fee granted to Tavo. The contract was voided due to non-payment by the investors plain & simple, despite repeated warnings and deadline extensions over several months. That's not a technicality.
I think it's fair to question Tavo's claims, especially when Bernie himself implied that it was Tavo who was the problem.
Seems to me that Bernie's biggest problem with Tavo lay in his choice of investors who would supposedly back him, and his willingness to trust so quickly.

Ecclestone: "I was disappointed insofar as he had what he thought were partners that could finance the business and wouldn't let him down. Really, they let him down, and they're trying to steal from him, get him out of [the project] and do the whole thing themselves."
I think it's fair to question the coincidence of all this coming to a boil right after the NJ race was announced.

The NJ race has been in the works for years, longer than Austin, and people have known about it. It wasn't a surprise to any involved parties.
And I think it's fair to question both Bernie and Tavo's good faith in the affair, considering their relationship and considering the current accusations Bernie is facing about doing side deals with individuals he's supposed to be negotiating with.
Is it not fair to question Epstein's good faith here? Everything I've heard yet, both on and off the record, corroborates Ecclestone's claim that Epstein cut Hellmund out of the deal and that he's been nickel & diming the project for a year or more.
Frankly, I guess the problem is that Bernie didn't anticipate that his comments to the press would cause TX to get cold feet and back out of their advance payments. That put a completely unexpected wrench in the works, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that COTA is using that to actually negotiate a lower fee rather than the higher one that I think Bernie was hoping for.
You're making a big assumption here that flies in the face of the reasoning the Comptroller gave for pulling the advance payment. Her major concern was the investors and she stated that right off the bat. She specifically named Bobby Epstein repeatedly. Her next concern was construction slowdowns. She even went as far as to say it isn't a Tavo problem, but instead it's an investor problem.

strad

The NJ race has been in the works for years, longer than Austin, and people have known about it
It had been discussed for years but NO ONE had lifted a finger til Austin was announced and they saw the possibility.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Pup
Pup

hairy_scotsman wrote:I don't recall Bernie ever saying COTA was willing to meet Tavo's obligations (maybe you can point me to that).
Explaining how the situation has spiralled, Ecclestone said: "We had an agreement with Full Throttle Productions [Tavo].

"Everything was signed and sealed, but we kept putting things off like the dates, various letters of credit and things that should have been sent, but nothing ever happened.

"Then these other people (COTA) came on the scene, saying that they wanted to do things, but that they had problems with Tavo.

"They said they had the circuit, and that they wanted an agreement with me. I told them they had to sort out the contract with Tavo, which they said they would.
It seems apparent that the deal was set up like this: Tavo was awarded the rights to the race in return for a $25M annual fee, to be paid in June of each year. The money was to come from the Texas events fund. There's no indication at all that COTA was ever to be responsible for Bernie's fee - that was Tavo's deal, and it was the sole asset that he brought to the table.

Let me repeat that, in bold, since it seems to be the origin of the argument against COTA:

There's no indication at all that COTA was ever to be responsible for Bernie's fee - that was Tavo's deal, and it was the sole asset that he brought to the table.

COTA were not Tavo's backers. They were his clients - huge difference. COTA and Full Throttle are two separate entities. Full Throttle owns the rights and is responsible for paying for them, and I've seen nothing to suggest that McCombs or Epstein have any investment in Full Throttle.

COTA's job was to provide the venue. Certainly we can assume that they would pay Tavo a fee to hold the GP, but unfortunately we don't know anything of what that fee was to be, or how and when it was to be paid. Perhaps it has already been paid? From Tavo's comments, it seems that the fee was being paid in installments. But really we don't know. If you're suggesting that Tavo was counting on this fee to pay Bernie, then I think you're overestimating the fee by a tremendous margin. And there's no indication that COTA was in arrears on their payment. Tavo said at one point that he hadn't been paid in a few months, but that could well have been because Bernie had already cancelled his contract, and there was nothing to pay for.

If we take Bernie at his word, we can surmise that the contract required a bond of sorts to be put in place to guarantee his fee, and that Tavo was having difficulty providing it. We're guessing here, of course, but it seems logical, since Tavo's only backing was the state's events fund and we've learned that promises from the Texas comptroller concerning that fund apparently aren't all that binding. So someone had to come in and provide the backing in order to get a bond, and the obvious someone was COTA. (I say COTA because Bernie did. Other sources say that it's either Epstein himself or his investment company Prophet who are going to be the investor.)

So, we could bicker over what Bernie means by "they had problems with Tavo" - perhaps he picks his nose in front of visitors, or perhaps they just had problems with him maintaining ownership of the rights after they paid the fee for him. But it's really irrelevant. The point is that without the state's money, Tavo couldn't pay Bernie's fee, and if COTA was going to step in and pay for the rights to the race, they wanted ownerships of those rights. Entirely reasonable. And of course, if they owned the rights, then what is Tavo doing there? So I don't buy the whole 'they wanted to cut Tavo out of the deal' line of thought. Tavo's raison d'etre was to provide the rights, and if he didn't have the rights, he simply had no reason to be involved. This is America, specifically Texas, and when the sum in question is $25million, hardball will be played. Tavo is a whiffle ball sort of fella.

OK, so you ask why didn't they just pay the fee that Tavo had agreed to? Well, I'd think that much is obvious, but it seems that they just couldn't come to terms with Tavo. They had to buy him out, and apparently they were negotiating to do so up until the moment Bernie cancelled Tavo's contract. Any guess as to why they couldn't agree is just wild speculation, but whatever the reason, obviously Tavo thought the contract was worth more than COTA did. Regardless, they'd be the biggest fools in the universe if they handed Bernie a check for $25 million without first securing the rights. Portraying this as COTA "withholding payment" is, well...

And as for COTA, or Epstein, not having the money? Epstein (Prophet) could write a $25 million check to Bernie each and every day for the next year and still be solvent. Red McCombs could do the same. Take a look at COTA's executive team and compare the background of everyone compared to Tavo. Then tell me that they don't know what they're doing.
The NJ race has been in the works for years, longer than Austin, and people have known about it. It wasn't a surprise to any involved parties.
Apparently it was to the Republic of Texas. Susan Combs explicitly named it as one of the reasons she decided not to advance the money.

My point, though, wasn't that it was a surprise, but rather that having that event in his pocket puts Bernie in a better bargaining position with Austin. In other words, it was in Bernie's interest that Tavo's contract be canceled.
She even went as far as to say it isn't a Tavo problem, but instead it's an investor problem.
Because Tavo isn't involved any more. He's out, and has been since Bernie cancelled his contract.
Is it not fair to question Epstein's good faith here?
In what regard? You think he wanted Bernie to cancel Tavo's contract? You think Epstein thought that he could negotiate a better deal with Bernie after New Jersey than before? This man?

Pup
Pup

strad wrote:
The NJ race has been in the works for years, longer than Austin, and people have known about it
It had been discussed for years but NO ONE had lifted a finger til Austin was announced and they saw the possibility.
Exactly. Just like the Jersey race puts Bernie in a better bargaining position with Austin, the Austin race put Bernie in a better bargaining position with Jersey. Once Bernie signed with Austin, the Jersey promoters wised up and realized that they had to pay Bernie's price if they wanted the race.

And the same now is true with Austin. Convenient turn of events for Bernie, to be sure.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Yea, the later disagreements between Tavo/Epstein, and their attempts to buy each other out are interesting, and unfortunately I don't have any info about this. But I keep coming back to some basic info and analysis regarding the original deal.

At the time of the initial press conference (2009?) Tavo controlled both the contract and the Texas promise to pay Bernie. The only way the original deal/contract could have fallen apart was if Bernie did not get paid the $25 million a year in advance. The only way this could happen is if Tavo did not want it to happen. For some reason, legitimate or otherwise, Tavo prevented the original deal from going through.

I am skeptical of Tavo's innocent shrugs when he is asked what happened.