Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
hollus

Re: Canadian GP 2010 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

Mclaren's strategy worked because they were the fastest car this weekend in race conditions, IMO. Had they mirrored Red bull's strategy they would likely have won anyways. They were slightly faster than Alonso's ferrari and needed one less pit stop that the Red Bulls. It was their race to lose, and they kept it together. They left it to the others to look for alternative ways to get ahead. Nicely done.

BTW, how is it possible that there were no SC at all!
Rivals, not enemies.

Aryoh
Aryoh

Re: Mercedes GP MGP W01

MSH is a much better driver than Nico, all he need is a better car. Start in Canada is the old Schumy, full of agression and edge.

komninosm
komninosm

richard_leeds wrote:What we saw reinforced the principle that pitting earlier gives an overall reward, the opposite of the last few years.
Well that's partly because of the no refuel rule. Refueling meant that coming out of the pits you were heavier and had a few bad laps in store. So you got passed by late stoppers.

Paul Oz

komninosm wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:What we saw reinforced the principle that pitting earlier gives an overall reward, the opposite of the last few years.
Well that's partly because of the no refuel rule. Refueling meant that coming out of the pits you were heavier and had a few bad laps in store. So you got passed by late stoppers.
And of course those staying out for a couple of laps longer were on fumes and shortly about to change boots, so could give it everything.

WhiteBlue

99cent wrote:As for the incident, i myself was skeptical at first...but after reviewing the video, i think mass was being a little too over ambition. There was no way he was going to pass Schumacher on the outside of that corner.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRmt8g5zbI0[/youtube]
Thx, 99cent for that video. I thought that Schumacher had squeezed Massa when I saw it live, but looking at the video it turns out it was Massa going for a gap that wasn't there. I also fail to see waiving on the straight. When they came up to the chicane Michael basically took the racing line that he was entitled to. How Massa thought he would go through that chicane side by side is a miracle to me.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Pedro wrote:Pit-stop summary:

Source: F1news.cz
http://f1news.cz/novinky/34973-ferrari- ... 4-vteriny/
Thanks Pedro, so MS did 12 and 19 lap stints on the hard tyres and 37(!) laps on softs :wtf: One has to be no super intelligent Ross Brawn to see that the last stint wouldn't work, another stop and the times that Kubica drove on softs at the end was the solution.

komninosm
komninosm

WhiteBlue wrote:Thx, 99cent for that video. I thought that Schumacher had squeezed Massa when I saw it live, but looking at the video it turns out it was Massa going for a gap that wasn't there. I also fail to see waiving on the straight. When they came up to the chicane Michael basically took the racing line that he was entitled to. How Massa thought he would go through that chicane side by side is a miracle to me.
Do you have telemetry to see if Massa breaks late or Schumacher breaks early?

dumrick
dumrick

After the first bridge, already in the final part of the straight, Michael moves left to block the inside. He should have stayed there, instead of doing the German Braking Flick.

lotus7
lotus7

Aryoh wrote:MSH is a much better driver than Nico, all he need is a better car. Start in Canada is the old Schumy, full of agression and edge.
Huh?
If he is a better driver than Nico, why is Nico outperforming him ? And won't Nico also do better in a "better" car ?

raceman

^^ =D>

right said there.

WhiteBlue

komninosm wrote:
WhiteBlue wrote:Thx, 99cent for that video. I thought that Schumacher had squeezed Massa when I saw it live, but looking at the video it turns out it was Massa going for a gap that wasn't there. I also fail to see waiving on the straight. When they came up to the chicane Michael basically took the racing line that he was entitled to. How Massa thought he would go through that chicane side by side is a miracle to me.
Do you have telemetry to see if Massa breaks late or Schumacher breaks early?
I fail to see the how that is relevant to the question. The gap is too small before Massa decides to go round the outside. Michael did not close the gap while Massa was alongside but before he even entered it. That is the point that matters IMO. A fairly robust defense but acceptable.

dumrick wrote:After the first bridge, already in the final part of the straight, Michael moves left to block the inside. He should have stayed there, instead of doing the German Braking Flick.
The chicane is a right hander. How can you move left to cover the inside? The way I see it Michael stayed in the middle/right side along the straight to cover the inside line. He only moved left for the racing line when they came close to the braking point.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

alberto222mx

lotus7 wrote:
Aryoh wrote:MSH is a much better driver than Nico, all he need is a better car. Start in Canada is the old Schumy, full of agression and edge.
Huh?
If he is a better driver than Nico, why is Nico outperforming him ? And won't Nico also do better in a "better" car ?
I've not seen Nico outperforming MS since China. Nico finished in the points in Monaco and MS don´t because the unfair penalty and yesterday after a few laps MS wast 7th and Nico around the 15th if I remember right. With a good strategy like Nico had, and witouth incidents he could have ended 6th or maybe 5th.
The gap between them have been closed clearly.
"Why doesn´t someone tell Pedro it´s raining" - Chris Amon, 1000km Brands Hatch, 1970

WhiteBlue

I've done a lap time analysis of Red Bull and McLaren to see where the tyre strategy went wrong for Red Bull. It looks fairly obvious.

You can see that both prime and option tyres were capable of runing 1:20,000 times after the first pitstop. The used tyres of both specs were never capable of doing that speed for more than one lap.

McLaren lost performance from lap four onward and switched both drivers to new primes from lap six.

Red Bull simply switched their drivers too late to new tyres. Webber came close to the 1:20 for one lap and ran solidly in the 1:21.7 until he hit degradation on lap 10 and they switched him in lap 13. Vettel was doing slightly better and was able to do 1:21.0 when he also bottomed out in lap 10. He had to do even one more lap on the used primes to have his tyres changed in lap 14.

Red Bull let their drivers miss between 1.0-1.7 s per lap for seven laps. So this was a 7 - 13 s handicap the drivers did incur due to a gamble that went wrong. Red Bull should have known that both specs of tyres in new condition would have been faster. The team screwed up.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

That is one fault with Red Bull, the strategists are slow to react and make the correct call(s) in time. We also saw it at Australia, where Button did his change to dry tires, and everybody else followed the next lap, with the exception of Red Bull.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

WhiteBlue

You are right DK, Red Bull was too much focussed on analyzing their own times to realize that McLaren ran away with new tyres. I guess they also missed out on doing the home work properly or they would have known that new primes or options would have been faster in any case.