Ferrari F2012

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ten_marco
ten_marco

Re: Ferrari F2012

smhasan7 wrote:Experts - Pls answer my daft question that I've longed to ask for quite some time now.

What's worked so good or worked as expected with the Ferrari nose this year that they haven't made any design change unlike Mclaren, we've seen RBR fiddling with it and most recently Williams, think that was Singapore. It was rumoured that we were working on a different nose but ever since the debut back in Jan, the nose of the car has remained exactly the same, wonder what's so spot on with it?

Nothing. The Ferrari is too conservative to make this kind of change. This aerodynamic and technical department is at most able to copy something, make no never, unthinkable. How Alono dialysis, is a miracle we are leading the world. It may be just me, but have not seen any update on any part of the car. All we talked weeks ago did not come: exhaust, floor, front wing .... nothing! One more race to pray and rely on the breach of other competitors.
[-o<

fynrd1
fynrd1

smhasan7 wrote:Experts - Pls answer my daft question that I've longed to ask for quite some time now.

What's worked so good or worked as expected with the Ferrari nose this year that they haven't made any design change unlike Mclaren, we've seen RBR fiddling with it and most recently Williams, think that was Singapore. It was rumoured that we were working on a different nose but ever since the debut back in Jan, the nose of the car has remained exactly the same, wonder what's so spot on with it?
The nose is ok, but there is still work on the frontwing. At magny cours ther experimented with other pylons, but i didnt saw it back in singapore. But why fix it if it aint broken? Other areas on the car need more focus, because there are still problems (relative performance loss).

bhall
bhall

ten_marco wrote:

Nothing. The Ferrari is too conservative to make this kind of change. This aerodynamic and technical department is at most able to copy something, make no never, unthinkable. How Alono dialysis, is a miracle we are leading the world. It may be just me, but have not seen any update on any part of the car. All we talked weeks ago did not come: exhaust, floor, front wing .... nothing! One more race to pray and rely on the breach of other competitors.
[-o<
Easy now. The F2012's nose was introduced as the most aggressive of all teams by far; its height is still unmatched, because it's as high as the regulations will allow, which limits what the team can do with it. The reason McLaren made a major adjustment to the nose of the MP4-27 is because it was far too conservative.

The team is on the third iteration of its exhaust solution, a "copy" of the original McLaren solution that's so good McLaren turned around and copied Ferrari's copy.

The problem now, it seems, is that the decision to adopt vertical radiators for the sake of a tighter packaging of the "Coke bottle" is, ironically, causing problems with getting enough air flow to the "Coke bottle," which is vital for rear wing and diffuser efficiency. Simply put, the side pods are just a bit too wide at the "shoulders." If that can be solved, you should see the car pick up the pace somewhat.

But, pretty much every team has gone as far as their designs and the rules will allow this year. This is the natural result of a restrictive formula.

That said, Ferrari's turnaround from Australia, where it sat as the 7th or 8th fastest car on the grid, has been nothing short of astounding.

amouzouris

bhallg2k wrote: ....
very nicely explained and i dont think anyone will have anything to add!
Last edited by Richard on 04 Oct 2012, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed loooooonnnng quote

alogoc
alogoc

old wing or?
THE F2012!
THE CAR THAN WON 2012 WORLD F1 CHAMPIONSHIP WHIT A TILTED ENGINE!

alogoc
alogoc

on the side car picture of exhaust and floor is that a new vane on the floor?

EDIT:it was there before! :cry:
THE F2012!

Kiril Varbanov

alogoc wrote:old wing or?
Yes, old wing, raced in UK, with slightly bigger main flap, no other visible changes, at least looking at the pictures for now, except for the vertical gills that extend the rear wing end plates, which appear to be very tiny - something that hasn't quite worked for them in Singapore.

alogoc
alogoc

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
Yes, old wing, raced in UK, with slightly bigger main flap, no other visible changes, at least looking at the pictures for now, except for the vertical gills that extend the rear wing end plates, which appear to be very tiny - something that hasn't quite worked for them in Singapore.
this are Singapore(non working) vertical gills! on top picture are different!
THE F2012!

superdread
superdread

Kiril Varbanov wrote:
It's the new wing in some aspects: the endplate louvers are straight an numerous and it has the rounded trailing edge cutouts.

The gills at the bottom are somewhat similar to the old ones. The leading edge profile (dips at the endplates) is similar to the old one (new one only had an upwards dip in the middle).

There are some unknowns (legs of some sorts in the view) but most likely Ferrari brought a completely changed wing to Singapore, where some parts worked and some didn't. This wing is the new one with the non-working things replaced by old solutions.

Forza

Japan - FP1

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

I hope these updates work. If Alonso loses the WDC this year it will be the second time that this team has lost him the title in 3 years which is simply not good enough.

amouzouris

Here are the photos from today in Suzuka!

New Front Wing:

Rear Wing tested in Singapore without the gurney flap and with the old vertical gills:

Here you can see it being tested with the gurney flap:

Alonso testing a new rear wing with just two gills on the endplates:

Other shots:

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

have they seen any improvement with these updates?

banibhusan

JimClarkFan wrote:have they seen any improvement with these updates?
May be, may be not. Only qualifying will reveal the true picture. They might have made a small gain, but by how much they have closed the gap to McLaren/RBR is impossible to find out.

ten_marco
ten_marco

Gentlemen. My impression or the new rear wing worked better than the old wing? I had a feeling that the car was out of control PF1, PF2 but walked straight and Alonso was fastest with hard tires using the new rear wing. Is that right?
:shock: