2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:33
I am hoping they can sort it out this year so they can start strong next year as it was unnaceptable not having this car at the start instead of now.
It has been the fundamental problem for the past few years, so I would think it requires a fundamental solution.. so probably something next year, they could maybe have a band-aid package solution, but I hope it's something they can fix in the new tunnel.

This package has really fixed a lot of other issues this car had, to do it all within season whilst prepping 2024 is asking to much.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Basically, that could have been better, but, it could also have been worse. Missed opportunity with the early rain, but not just them saying to hold it out.

Darth-Piekus

Hoping that wont be the case anymore. With the new Wing Tunnel, new Simulator and new Facilities and a good team behind it will be unacceptable not to push for a championship winning car in the next two years. These mistakes also with the strategy have to stop.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Hello bad luck, our old friend...

Darth-Piekus

Mcklaren it wasnt just bad luck. We pretty much costed the podium ourselves at the start. I will agree for the rest of the race though.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Meh 😒 a day of what could have been….That first lap decision not to split strategy was pretty costly.
Good to see PIA doing some very nice overtaking today. He almost looked more comfortable than NOR out there.

From where we started the season the turn around has been electric. Amazing how quickly you just want more and more. A couple of car traits that need sorting but the solid base is there!

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:33
Long medium speed corners still this cars Achilles heel. Hopefully next year they can sort that out
Medium?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Seerix
Seerix

The only bad luck was PIA pitstop just before SC and all the damage was already done then.
I was hoping for top5 for both cars today. Merc seemed maybe a tad faster, both Merc car were behind McLarens after the first rain and almost ended up ahead.

Darth-Piekus

There is no point trying to get 4th or stay 5th. It wont change much. It's best if they fix every weakness this year with the next patch of updates and start with a solid car next year to take the fight to Red Bull.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I wrote in vain that with the expectation of rain, it’s not a fact that it will turn out. But even without rain, I generally came to the conclusion that the car was not the second fastest on the race track. Yes, there is a team error - Late called to the pits. But even without this, I did not see a high racing pace. So let it be for me personally the minimization of losses. It's still better, as both McLaren's cars were off the points for most of the race.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Darth-Piekus wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 17:50
There is no point trying to get 4th or stay 5th. It wont change much. It's best if they fix every weakness this year with the next patch of updates and start with a solid car next year to take the fight to Red Bull.
What they have produced to get the car to its level, has been phenomenal. Beyond what anyone expected this year. But realistically there is not a hope in hell they will fix every weakness this year.

Let's enjoy the most competitive car we've had in years rather than focusing on what isn't good.

Ben1980
Ben1980

LionsHeart wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:00
I wrote in vain that with the expectation of rain, it’s not a fact that it will turn out. But even without rain, I generally came to the conclusion that the car was not the second fastest on the race track. Yes, there is a team error - Late called to the pits. But even without this, I did not see a high racing pace. So let it be for me personally the minimization of losses. It's still better, as both McLaren's cars were off the points for most of the race.

The car was second best I'd say, alongside the Mercs.

organic

Ben1980 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:02
LionsHeart wrote:

AMR seemed quicker in my opinion. Alonso was very quick in the dry period of the race. I'm aware McLaren and Merc were stuck behind others, but Alonso was able to scythe through the pack on lap 1 easily, and then again when he had a slow stop and was behind Sainz. Only ever got stuck behind someone for a couple of corners, and also was setting fastest laps which were on the same pace as RB were running at times. I'm not saying AMR are definitely ahead, I'd just be wary of their pace

CjC
CjC

LionsHeart wrote:
Don’t think we saw a high race pace because they were stuck behind drivers who’s team made the correct decision to fit intermediate tyres. Mclaren put themselves on the back foot almost immediately
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:03
Ben1980 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 18:02
LionsHeart wrote:

AMR seemed quicker in my opinion. Alonso was very quick in the dry period of the race. I'm aware McLaren and Merc were stuck behind others, but Alonso was able to scythe through the pack on lap 1 easily, and then again when he had a slow stop and was behind Sainz. Only ever got stuck behind someone for a couple of corners, and also was setting fastest laps which were on the same pace as RB were running at times. I'm not saying AMR are definitely ahead, I'd just be wary of their pace
It’s so hard to tell how fast Aston Martin are when you have Alonso and Stroll as the driver pairing but that’s a discussion for the AMR thread.
Just a fan's point of view