2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

MattLightBlue wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 16:41
It is not a bad thing that Vasseur takes the position ad interim imo. I have a feeling that td is lacking a long term plan and ambition, not brainpower. It could be a chance to raise the bar and set an example.
I don't think the team lacks brainpower - you don't get the end of last season development + the winter development we had without some smart engineers. It just seems like they took a big risk with the Spain floor, thinking it could propel them to the WCC fight and it backfired. Vasseur did say he wanted the engineers to feel free to take those risks. Sainz seems optimistic about future development. I think one big package will come after summer break that addresses the flaws of the Spain package.

RacePaceDemon

SoulPancake13 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 17:00
MattLightBlue wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 16:41
It is not a bad thing that Vasseur takes the position ad interim imo. I have a feeling that td is lacking a long term plan and ambition, not brainpower. It could be a chance to raise the bar and set an example.
I don't think the team lacks brainpower - you don't get the end of last season development + the winter development we had without some smart engineers. It just seems like they took a big risk with the Spain floor, thinking it could propel them to the WCC fight and it backfired. Vasseur did say he wanted the engineers to feel free to take those risks. Sainz seems optimistic about future development. I think one big package will come after summer break that addresses the flaws of the Spain package.
The lowering of the tunnels felt like a cheap and desperate way to try and increase downforce on the car. It backfired with the porpoising. The problem is even if they do bring a package that fixes it, they're one step behind now.
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

ScuderiaLeo

SoulPancake13 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 17:00
I don't think SF's engineers are dumb or anything. My wife is an engineer and she has coworkers who are incredibly academically smart but propose dumb ideas all the time. The root of the issue is probably something like the team became fixated on making certain ideas work. Tunnel vision or sunk cost fallacy. The cost cap also makes it difficult, if it didn't exist then I'm sure the SF-24 would be a very different car after what they learned last year. I like the cost cap overall but it really handicaps teams who make one mistake because they have to spend 1-2 years catching up.

TBH I don't care if they bring another package this year. If they bring one they'll still be behind the other top teams who will inevitably make their own improvements after the break. And like you said above, 2025 will not be the focus of the new staff Vasseur has brought in.

Not related, but for once, Sainz was more optimistic about the future development than Leclerc :D That's very rare!
Last edited by ScuderiaLeo on 08 Jul 2024, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

codetower

I would take Sainz's optimism with a pinch of salt though. At this point, I'm not sure how much is being shared with him (they don't want him taking any of their development details to another team), and then again, he's optimistic for what? For the team and Lec/Ham to be successful? He might be just playing the PR game.

And no, SF's engineers are not lacking "brain power". Like Mercedes with their zero-pod experiment, one wrong call and you could end up chasing the correction for years. I feel SF is in that phase now. They changed the tub, the chassis, changed the side-pods, the floor and are now going through their growing pains.

But for now with Cardile leaving, I believe they will be stuck in a holding pattern. While it would be great to see someone step up and find a solution, We shouldn't expect this person to take charge and lead the team in a new direction. Serra is coming in October, and there’s also an ever slight chance that Newey could join us, both bringing their own approach and likely "new' direction. So Cardile’s departure will likely have an impact—not because we’re losing a strong talent, but because it may significantly slow down progress. Over the summer and the next few months, our focus will likely be on making all the upgrades that we’ve invested so much, to make them actually work.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

codetower wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 18:23
I would take Sainz's optimism with a pinch of salt though. At this point, I'm not sure how much is being shared with him (they don't want him taking any of their development details to another team), and then again, he's optimistic for what? For the team and Lec/Ham to be successful? He might be just playing the PR game.
On the other hand: why should Sainz give PR answers about anything now that he is leaving? Of course they won't share things about 2025, but for the rest of the season he is still a Ferrari driver.

codetower

SoulPancake13 wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 19:35
codetower wrote:
On the other hand: why should Sainz give PR answers about anything now that he is leaving? Of course they won't share things about 2025, but for the rest of the season he is still a Ferrari driver.
I meant HIS pr, not the teams. He still (shockingly) doesn't have a seat for next year so he is still selling himself. And positioning himself as an involved, aware, astute driver only helps his value.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

codetower wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 20:25
SoulPancake13 wrote:
codetower wrote:
I meant HIS pr, not the teams. He still (shockingly) doesn't have a seat for next year so he is still selling himself. And positioning himself as an involved, aware, astute driver only helps his value.
Sainz was the first one to be overly negative about the Spain upgrade - I think at this point the teams know what kind of driver they will get with Carlos, some honesty in the media won't change that. Sainz himself is holding out trying to get Toto to offer him that Mercedes seat imo. I see your point tho, both are very possible

Andres125sx

codetower wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 20:25
SoulPancake13 wrote:
codetower wrote:
Carlos has always been an involved, aware and astute driver, he changed nothing for current situation, he has always been like that. No PR strategy, no mind games, he´s same Carlos he´s always been

But I agree if he didn´t decide the team yet, he probably is awaiting for Mercedes, just in case they finally prefer an experienced driver better than a very young rookie

Andres125sx

dia6olo wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 12:21
Regarding the current state of play, I feel that for various reasons, the last 2/3 race weekends have been very messy by Ferrari which I feel is making things look far worse than what they are.
Actually, those 2/3 races have been very messy by Leclerc, not Ferrari.

Sainz did a podium past GP, and didn´t went below 6th. The podium was lucky because of Norris-Max incident, but he´d have been 5th anycase. I agree that´s a bit below his average results in the season, but just a bit. It´s Charles who dropped significantly in past 3 GPs from a 4th as poorest result in the season, to 5th as best result in past 3 GPs

Charles struggles a lot more when the car doesn´t perform as expected. To me it´s similar to Verstappen-Perez, their car suffered a drop in perfomance (compared to rivals) in past GPs, some drivers make the most of it anycase and still score huge points, some don´t

yooogurt

According to Turrini, Lawrence Stroll also made an offer to the head of aerodynamics Diego Tondi. The offer was rejected.
FORZA FERRARI!

yooogurt

The new technical guide won't be Serra, but "Mr. X," who we won't see until after the summer break.
Serra will lead the chassis development department, reporting directly to new TD "Mr. X"(c) Nugnes
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10633304/
Last edited by yooogurt on 09 Jul 2024, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
FORZA FERRARI!

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

one article I saw mentioned how Fred and Enrico didn't see eye to eye on hiring serra sheesh always some politics is't it.

RacePaceDemon

yooogurt wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 12:39
The new technical guide won't be Serra, but "Mr. X," who we won't see until after the summer break.
Serra will lead the chassis development department, reporting directly to new TD "Mr. X"(c) Nugnes
Mr x being a genius with a sketch book [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

yooogurt wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 12:39
I don't know why, but I am already preparing myself for an unexpected name, to then give him time and by 2026 realise it wasn't enough.

yooogurt

But it's still Nugnes, so it's not necessarily true.
FORZA FERRARI!