2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sphere3758
Sphere3758

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Ferrari has first round of bouncing corrections planned for Spa

RacePaceDemon

Sphere3758 wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 12:52

https://twitter.com/GiulyDuchessa/statu ... 6789726234
The only way to solve it will be to raise the ride height this year as suspension corrections can't be done until next year most likely. We've seen the same script with Mercedes in 2022. "Oh once we solve the bouncing we'll find a second in lap time!". The truth is the lowering on the floor tunnels was a desperate way to increase load and Ferrari got hit with the reality that physics makes no exceptions.

I do hope the upgrades work but they are now one step behind and have a probably lost a month or two in development. And they'd better hope it's sorted for next year as full focus will be on 2026 from January.

And as a Hamilton fan I really really hope they work [-o< :D
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

yooogurt

LetHimTrough wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 12:45
I don't know why, but I am already preparing myself for an unexpected name, to then give him time and by 2026 realise it wasn't enough.
:D
FORZA FERRARI!

codetower

yooogurt wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 13:07
LetHimTrough wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 12:45
I don't know why, but I am already preparing myself for an unexpected name, to then give him time and by 2026 realise it wasn't enough.
:D
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... n_(14).jpg
Haha! I'm fairly certain It'll be a name that does NOT rhyme with Bluey, but definitely not Binotto (Although I'm not going to lie, I do miss some of those exciting races from the 2022 season). I'm expecting Mr X to be someone else from either Mercedes or possibly RB.

yooogurt

Elliot half of year are free btw
FORZA FERRARI!

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

yooogurt wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 13:30
Elliot half of year are free btw
Lewis will blow an aneurysm if Elliott joins.

MattLightBlue
MattLightBlue

RacePaceDemon wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 13:05
Sphere3758 wrote:

The only way to solve it will be to raise the ride height this year as suspension corrections can't be done until next year most likely. We've seen the same script with Mercedes in 2022. "Oh once we solve the bouncing we'll find a second in lap time!". The truth is the lowering on the floor tunnels was a desperate way to increase load and Ferrari got hit with the reality that physics makes no exceptions.

I do hope the upgrades work but they are now one step behind and have a probably lost a month or two in development. And they'd better hope it's sorted for next year as full focus will be on 2026 from January.

I really don’t understand why everyone is treating Ferrari like newbies. They know how to design a suspension, and they know how to solve an issue, they already adjusted the bouncing more times than other teams (remember TD39). I think this is an aero instability only issue, they need a new floor to tune the car balance and I consider them perfectly suited for the task in a matter of weeks.
It is more critical imo the future direction for development, I have the impression they did the tunnels lowering as a forced measure.

RacePaceDemon

MattLightBlue wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 13:41
RacePaceDemon wrote:
Sphere3758 wrote:

I really don’t understand why everyone is treating Ferrari like newbies. They know how to design a suspension, and they know how to solve an issue, they already adjusted the bouncing more times than other teams (remember TD39). I think this is an aero instability only issue, they need a new floor to tune the car balance and I consider them perfectly suited for the task in a matter of weeks.
It is more critical imo the future direction for development, I have the impression they did the tunnels lowering as a forced measure.
I didn't say they're newbies. Just an amateurs observation of what's happened. And let's be fair here, Enrico Cardile called suspension in this era "overrated" and it seems the suspension this year can't handle the increased load from the upgrade. I'm sure they'll solve it but I'm just mentioning it has cost them precious time in a development war that will punish those lagging behind severely.

Source on Enrico Cardile's suspension comments: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... oho+Social
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

MattLightBlue
MattLightBlue

RacePaceDemon wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 13:58
MattLightBlue wrote:
RacePaceDemon wrote:

I didn't say they're newbies. Just an amateurs observation of what's happened. And let's be fair here, Enrico Cardile called suspension in this era "overrated" and it seems the suspension this year can't handle the increased load from the upgrade. I'm sure they'll solve it but I'm just mentioning it has cost them precious time in a development war that will punish those lagging behind severely.

Source on Enrico Cardile's suspension comments: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... oho+Social
I am not an expert in suspension design, I think however that Cardile is right in his statements: RB like suspension configuration could be a slight advantage from aero prospective, but I have never heard anyone saying it results in more rigidity.

RacePaceDemon

MattLightBlue wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 14:03
RacePaceDemon wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 13:58
MattLightBlue wrote:

I am not an expert in suspension design, I think however that Cardile is right in his statements: RB like suspension configuration could be a slight advantage from aero prospective, but I have never heard anyone saying it results in more rigidity.
Note: I am not a suspension expert and this is all opinions of a non engineer amateur.

Having a good suspension system means you have a good aero advantage from the actual suspension but better platform control. My opinion is that the Ferrari can't handle the increased load on the car because the suspension is not designed to its best potential. The red bull has way more load as the suspension can support it (with the caveat that it struggles with kerb riding). Ferrari has softer suspension which works at street tracks but provides no benefits and drawbacks on traditional tracks.

The best compromise is McLaren's solution, it seems to have a softer suspension but still acceptable high speed performance.

I feel Enrico Cardile has bit himself in the backside a bit with his comments and either left due to this, was going to leave anyway or was let go by Freddy V.

ScuderiaLeo

yooogurt wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 12:50
But it's still Nugnes, so it's not necessarily true.
He's been accurate more so than not in the past month. He was the one to report that Sainz was going back to the Imola spec, while Formu1a.uno said the opposite. Come race weekend it turned out Nugnes was right.

Though this is quite big news for no other organizations to have leaked as well. Unless this is a very recent development/decision?

yooogurt

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 15:00

He's been accurate more so than not in the past month. He was the one to report that Sainz was going back to the Imola spec, while Formu1a.uno said the opposite. Come race weekend it turned out Nugnes was right.

Though this is quite big news for no other organizations to have leaked as well. Unless this is a recent development/decision?
He also said Ferrari would be changing the diffuser, but that didnt happen.

From the same article.
"But all eyes are already on designing a Ferrari for Lewis Hamilton. It is not named after the Project 677 acronym, but after the Silverstone winner, who is due to drive it next year."

Well, thats a false for sure.
FORZA FERRARI!

ScuderiaLeo

yooogurt wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 15:07
He also said Ferrari would be changing the diffuser, but that didnt happen.

From the same article.
"But all eyes are already on designing a Ferrari for Lewis Hamilton. It is not named after the Project 677 acronym, but after the Silverstone winner, who is due to drive it next year."

Well, thats a false for sure.
Yeah I'm not saying he's the most reliable guy in the world, but both him and Formu1a.uno have had their moments recently. Formu1a.uno was insistent Ferrari would use the new spec and not do any spec comparisons at all. I feel like things are changing very quickly in Maranello at the moment, where plans they make on Wednesday are often discarded by Friday.

Space-heat
Space-heat

RacePaceDemon wrote:
Sphere3758 wrote:

Merc fixed their bouncing from preseason with a front suspension modification - https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... /10633022/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This is a very good article: https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/09/how ... nailed-it/

Some twitter "recountings" carefully clipped the radio transcripts of Leclerc to present one picture, but the full transcripts gives a different one.