Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes-AMG F1 W10 EQ Power+

Just_a_fan wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 21:36
ClarkBT11 wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 19:38

Reducing the side pod inlet will improve areo efficiency, reducing drag.
Not necessarily. Making the opening smaller means more air has to be directed around the sidepod. Turning air adds drag.

Changing the entry opening means changing many other bits.
Oh please... :roll:

This is something so mundane I don't know what is the big deal??

Just watch the side pods get reduced in size if not in starting 4 races then for the European leg.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

A redesign of the whole sidepod is not the same as "the opening will be reduced". The latter would require some other work, which is not a problem but is not as simple as "make the opening smaller".

Of course, none of this will happen unless the teams know the PU won't be damaged by higher temperatures.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

A very appropriately timed video from Scarbs talking about the various changes front to rear between test 1 and test 2. Nothing we don't already know but he does describe the intent as a whole getting the air around the front tires and into the rear end.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

ringo

Watching the lap between the ferrari and the mercedes it seems as if the mercedes has low speed over-steer and less traction on corner exit. The Ferrari seems more driveable and has the superior traction. What surprised me though, is i feel the mercedes ERS seems to be back on top.
For Sure!!

zibby43
zibby43

ringo wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 04:32
Watching the lap between the ferrari and the mercedes it seems as if the mercedes has low speed over-steer and less traction on corner exit. The Ferrari seems more driveable and has the superior traction. What surprised me though, is i feel the mercedes ERS seems to be back on top.
Outside of that single lap you referenced (haven't watched it yet myself), track-side observers from the second week of testing claimed that the Mercedes looked very good in slow-speed corners and medium-speed corners. However, it looked very unstable and unpredictable in high-speed corners.

The Ferrari looked good everywhere and was particularly stable under heavy braking.

SiLo

Having watched a comparison video between the two someone made with timings, Lewis destroyed Vettel in the last sector. Whilst the Merc looked a little unstable in the slower corners it was carrying so much more speed.
Felipe Baby!

w1Y
w1Y

From my untrained eye it looks like lewis may have had lower fuel but lets be honest. The tyres and different times of the day are also probably big influences.

Be interested to know previous year correlation to testing tyre management (whats been observed) and when we get to races

siskue2005

ringo wrote:
i saw a completely opposite picture
The merc made up 0.4 tenths in the last sector to the ferrari...shows how good their slow speed and traction out of them is. Link below
https://streamable.com/mml18

cramr
cramr

siskue2005 wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 13:09
ringo wrote:
The merc made up 0.4 tenths in the last sector to the ferrari...shows how good their slow speed and traction out of them is. Link below
That's assuming both where on the limit for the entire lap. What if Vet lifted off a bit at the end to "hide" full potencial? or Ham at the start of the lap?
It's testing guys, everyone is hiding the real cards

dfegan358
dfegan358

ringo wrote:
What makes you feel Mercedes ERS is on top? I don’t disagree with you.

It’s something I would love to know more about how each manufactures ers works and the relative performance and characteristics of each.

paddyf1
paddyf1

cramr wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 16:19
siskue2005 wrote:
07 Mar 2019, 13:09
ringo wrote:
That's assuming both where on the limit for the entire lap. What if Vet lifted off a bit at the end to "hide" full potencial? or Ham at the start of the lap?
It's testing guys, everyone is hiding the real cards
Vettel ran wide at i think turn 12 that cost him a couple of tenths.

humble sabot

Surprised Scarbs didn't mention the reprofiling of the tip of the nosecone.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

zibby43
zibby43

These photos really do an excellent job of illustrating how incredibly narrow Merc's sidepods are this year. I think the more traditional shape throws some folks off when evaluating the size.

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 9833030657

https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 9290520576

ScrewCaptain27

AMuS
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

krizalid1001
krizalid1001