2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
RacePaceDemon

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
09 Jul 2024, 22:29
https://x.com/FerrariF1FRA/status/1810768512098460147

Translation:
"Ferrari: news roundup from @formu1a__uno via Twitch live:

- Vasseur did nothing to try to retain Enrico Cardile after the latter received an offer from Aston Martin. Ferrari has done nothing to retain Cardile, it's just the timing that leaves something to be desired.
- In recent weeks, Enrico Cardile had already been sidelined. For example, the desire to change the suspension for the long term didn't come from Cardile but from other people. And let's not forget that Loïc Serra, who is "gardening", is likely to be slipping in some information already.
- It's likely that an important name will be arriving soon, as the editors of @formu1a__uno editorial team is working on it. But for the moment, we don't have any more information.
- Since Vasseur arrived at Ferrari, there's been a lot of movement inside Maranello. Vasseur wants to draw on outside experience. There's never been so much movement, both in and out.
- Some mechanical corrections to the SF-24 are planned for Spa-Francorchamps. Interior elements such as new anti-roll bars, for example. Similar to Mercedes.
- Ferrari is expected to re-use the Barcelona package at Budapest. The track should be less prone to bouncing problems."

Interesting. So Cardile was likely already looking at the exit anyway. I wonder if Freddy V saw him as a weak link or realised the launch SF24 was good due to innovation by other engineers and not Cardile. Was Cardile holding the team back? I don't believe it personally and am not happy to see him go to rivals as his experience is always important.

I wonder who this secret TD is. Newey? Well he might be going to Aston and if he came to Ferrari I would've thought he'd be more an advisor than hands on. Mike Elliot? Lewis wouldn't be happy and is he still highly rated after the w13 and w14 projects. He's still a talented aerodynamicist and I would want him all day long. Could it be someone out of the sport returning full time? Rory Byrne? Unlikely. Aldo Costa coming back??

I would love James Allison to come but after his Ferrari past that won't happen :(

Good to see mechanical changes coming to the car. W15 received some of these and it transformed it, let's hope the same applies here.

Interesting times ahead...
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

yooogurt

How about Paddy Lowe?
FORZA FERRARI!

catent
catent

Mike Elliot and Aldo Costa both make a lot of sense, given their respective histories working alongside Serra; perhaps both could be joining (in different roles, of course).

I guess the question becomes, would one rather have Newey (from afar), Serra, and some combination of Vasseur/Newey hires? Or would one rather have Serra, Costa, potentially Elliot, all of whom will be fully present and engaged with the team, with Vasseur being the clear leader?

dialtone
dialtone

According to this article basically Vasseur joined Ferrari with the thought: “keeping the same leaders that worked here for 20 years isn’t going to change things, we need new people all around in leadership”.

It’s not a bad thought and frankly the only thing you can really do. Given the 499P it’s clear Ferrari has great engineers in there. It’s a risky road but at least it’s a different approach.

Too bad for Newey, would have been legendary.

Lewis would be looped in any new TD choice, if Elliot comes back it would be because Lewis was ok with it as well.

Well hopefully the new front suspension tweaks can make a difference or it’s pain for the rest of the season.

jambuka
jambuka

Could it be Dan fallows ? Maybe they did a swap with Cardille.

KimiRai
KimiRai

jambuka wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 03:26
Could it be Dan fallows ? Maybe they did a swap with Cardille.
It's possible, perhaps Fallows isn't in best terms with Newey after he left Red Bull? If they are making way for Newey that is... Ferrari also tried to sign Fallows years ago but he chose Aston instead.
The issue with this theory is that it's the exact same Business F1 has reported :D Not sure if you can trust them...
Last edited by KimiRai on 10 Jul 2024, 07:32, edited 4 times in total.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

why should ferrari go for dan fallows who has less success in aston than Cardile??

Xyz22
Xyz22

Cardile didn't replace Fallows in Aston Martin, at least according to the official statements.

yooogurt

TD should arrive after the summer break. And Fallows will have one gardening with half a year minimum.
It has to be someone free and off the teams.
FORZA FERRARI!

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

If Ferrari is trying to get Newey, I wouldn't be surprised it is someone relatively unknown from "Newey's umbrella", in a way or indicate that Newey will come later or trying to entice him to have the CTO role.

K1Plus
K1Plus

yooogurt wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 12:01
TD should arrive after the summer break. And Fallows will have one gardening with half a year minimum.
It has to be someone free and off the teams.
Mike Elliott is free. So is Sbinner Time, wondering if he'd accept going back to TD?

yooogurt

K1Plus wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 18:44
Mike Elliott is free. So is Sbinner Time, wondering if he'd accept going back to TD?
I think putting Binotto back on TD wouldnt be a bad idea. He good as technical.
FORZA FERRARI!

wickedz50
wickedz50

yooogurt wrote:
10 Jul 2024, 19:24
K1Plus wrote:
Will Binotto be able to work under FV's leadership? Binotto had problems earlier when MA was the team principal. The problem does not get solved here so easily. A good TD will need support from every areas, its like a symphony and its a team effort. One person cannot bring the change overnite. I hope FV has build that platform in the last 2 years to bring in the TD who can then get the final orchestra play the way it is melodious. It needs lot of dedication, discipline and commitment. Also immense patience is needed to bring the change where failures are stepping stones for success and not getting fired. When they have this culture then I am sure they will be back.

codetower

wickedz50 wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 14:01
yooogurt wrote:
K1Plus wrote:
Will Binotto be able to work under FV's leadership? Binotto had problems earlier when MA was the team principal. The problem does not get solved here so easily. A good TD will need support from every areas, its like a symphony and its a team effort. One person cannot bring the change overnite. I hope FV has build that platform in the last 2 years to bring in the TD who can then get the final orchestra play the way it is melodious. It needs lot of dedication, discipline and commitment. Also immense patience is needed to bring the change where failures are stepping stones for success and not getting fired. When they have this culture then I am sure they will be back.
I never disliked Binotto. I disliked his results. Bringing him back as a TD will never happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. I don't think he was the comfortable as the TP to be honest so if he ever would come back, I think he'd be fine working under Fred as long as there is mutual respect.

If there is one positive thing I would say about Binotto, he wasn't afraid to test the grey areas. Sure, it didn't always work, but he was pushing. Look at McLaren with the flexwing, RB with the flexing rear wings a couple of years ago, Mercedes with DAS, their front wing design, etc. I think in this sport if you aren't testing the limits, you wont get ahead.

RacePaceDemon

codetower wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 15:07
wickedz50 wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 14:01
yooogurt wrote:

I never disliked Binotto. I disliked his results. Bringing him back as a TD will never happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. I don't think he was the comfortable as the TP to be honest so if he ever would come back, I think he'd be fine working under Fred as long as there is mutual respect.

If there is one positive thing I would say about Binotto, he wasn't afraid to test the grey areas. Sure, it didn't always work, but he was pushing. Look at McLaren with the flexwing, RB with the flexing rear wings a couple of years ago, Mercedes with DAS, their front wing design, etc. I think in this sport if you aren't testing the limits, you wont get ahead.
In 2019 he was responsible for the use of an illegal engine and when busted, Ferrari were no where for 2 years.

In 2022, the Ferrari was a good car, for a while. But reliability, strategic blunders and zero accountability meant they won only a few races.

After the summer break, the clown claimed they could win all the remaining races, they won none. He also claimed that all development resources were put to next years car. Even after they would likely need to change concept after TD39.

After the season in 2022 Binotto was fired.

In 2023, after much hype from the press. The SF23 which Binotto and his team were responsible for was 1 second off in race pace.

Does this sound like the sort of individual you want running a technical team?
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"