2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:33
Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:30
LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:24

And yesterday you told me that if Lando had driven his first sector faster... but the main loss occurs in the third, where Lando loses more than two tenths compared to Max. There is no talk of thousandths.

I hope there will be telemetry, or maybe it already exists. I need to search and compare fast laps.

Maybe McLaren decided to reduce the wear on the tyres, I have no idea why the car has such a speed deficit. But it feels like we have lost some top speed.
I didn't tell you anything. I just speculated that if he were to get a sprint pole, he would have had to do it in the first sector. The only place he was slower than Oscar.

Completely unrelated with what happened today. As I said, McLaren found nothing over yesterday and Max is ahead by a landslide.
There was nothing to assume. Red Bull is faster and it was already evident yesterday.
The big losses start in the second sector, but even more in the third. Lando was 0.17 seconds behind in the first two sectors, and 0.25 seconds in the third. Turns 9 and 10 are just awful.
The gaps weren't that big yesterday. I didn't say he should have had pole, I said his only chance at it would have been with a godly S1.

I don't know why you're bringing it up for no reason.

mwillems

• Red Bull massively faster at the start of the lap (WHITE)
  • Red Bull faster along the straights as well as having a higher peak speed (WHITE)
  • Max now at least equal to us or better in most corners (RED)
  • Absolutely smashing us in the high speed, nearly 10kph faster for a large period of time (BLUE)

Last edited by mwillems on 29 Jun 2024, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:36
LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:33
Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:30

I didn't tell you anything. I just speculated that if he were to get a sprint pole, he would have had to do it in the first sector. The only place he was slower than Oscar.

Completely unrelated with what happened today. As I said, McLaren found nothing over yesterday and Max is ahead by a landslide.
There was nothing to assume. Red Bull is faster and it was already evident yesterday.
The big losses start in the second sector, but even more in the third. Lando was 0.17 seconds behind in the first two sectors, and 0.25 seconds in the third. Turns 9 and 10 are just awful.
The gaps weren't that big yesterday. I didn't say he should have had pole, I said his only chance at it would have been with a godly S1.

I don't know why you're bringing it up for no reason.
I don't raise it. So yesterday I didn't quite understand you correctly. Be that as it may, the losses are very big and the reasons may be hidden in the new front wing. Maybe that's the reason? I don't understand how they lose so much. The strong points are gone.

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
  • Red Bull faster along the straights as well as having a higher peak speed (WHITE)
  • Absolutely smashing us in the high speed, nearly 10kph faster for a large period of time (BLUE)

https://i.postimg.cc/QttVRbSN/Austria-Qual.jpg
Almost 2 tenths in 2 corners is bonkers. And it's not just over McLaren. Pretty much the entire field was losing a lot of time to Max in the final sector.

The RedBull is crazy fast in high speed corners. I guess yesterday it was just poorly optimized by them.
Last edited by Emag on 29 Jun 2024, 18:43, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

They've gained almost no time from Sprint Qualy to Full Qualy on a track that is much more evolved. I can only assume they have messed the setup or against all odds they have set it up for the race.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:

It would be bad if the updated front wing is to blame. I think in a week they will check both specifications and compare all the advantages and disadvantages, if any.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:42
mwillems wrote:

Almost 2 tenths in 2 corners is bonkers. And it's not just over McLaren. Pretty much the entire field was losing a lot of time to Max in the final sector.

The RedBull is crazy fast in high speed corners. I guess yesterday it was just poorly optimized by them.
I don't think so, if you compare SQ3 times to Q3 times, we've stood still. How does that make sense on a track that has just been rubbered in with a sprint race?

I suppose it could be temperatures and perhaps Zak was wrong to suggest that the car is agnostic with temps now.

-Bandit

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:43
mwillems wrote:

It would be bad if the updated front wing is to blame. I think in a week they will check both specifications and compare all the advantages and disadvantages, if any.
I wouldn't think it is this. it worked fine for Sprint race and Qualy and the team suggested it worked as expected. Unless they made a setup change that isn't compatible with the wing, but that feels like clutching at straws.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:44
Emag wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I don't think so, if you compare SQ3 times to Q3 times, we've stood still. How does that make sense on a track that has just been rubbered in with a sprint race?

I suppose it could be temperatures and perhaps Zak was wrong to suggest that the car is agnostic with temps now.
The same can be said for sprint race. High temperatures could have a negative impact on grip.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:47
mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 18:44
Emag wrote:

The same can be said for sprint race. High temperatures could have a negative impact on grip.
Look at sprint Qualy to full Qualy, almost everyone gained a good chunk of time, except for us. So perhaps we just nailed the setup earlier and the sprint flattered us? Could be that, or a poor setup, or a race setup. But I think the prospects of winning look bleak. I'm sure we'll get something from the team to talk about it.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

This all shows, how impressive the team have been to get as close as they have, and also how good the RBR car and team is.

But, we are still the closest challengers.

Emag
Emag

If you go for race pace, you would normally give up some time on corners which stress the tires too much and try to make up for it elsewhere.

It's what RedBull apparently tried to do with their setup change, but they went almost 4 tenths quicker than yesterday here.

We will see how it turns out tomorrow, but I dont think it will be better than the spirt.

I just hope they still have a little bit of margin over everyone else so that Oscar can claw back some positions.

organic

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 19:00

I just hope they still have a little bit of margin over everyone else so that Oscar can claw back some positions.
Is there still a possibility that Oscar's penalty can be overturned? Last I heard Stella was querying it. To me it was very marginal

Emag
Emag

organic wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 19:02
Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 19:00

Is there still a possibility that Oscar's penalty can be overturned? Last I heard Stella was querying it. To me it was very marginal
I don't think so. If the white line defines the track borders he was visibly off it.

chrisc90

McLaren have protested the qualifying results.