Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Raptor22
Raptor22

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

beelsebob wrote:
gridwalker wrote:Beelsebob, the important word (which I should perhaps have put in bold) is significant : we would be looking at thrust being produced which is proportional to the expansion ratio and total mass of air that is expanding.

How much air will be drawn through the radiator and how much will it expand? I don't know the maths, but I floated the idea past a contact at British Aerospace last night and they found it more than slightly amusing.
As you can see from earlier in the thread, this effect can generate reasonably significant amounts of thrust – enough to increase plane top speeds by a good chunk... There does seem to be some debate over whether it will have a significant effect at low speeds though. I'm not certain, and haven't claimed to be certain, but it sure is an interesting avenue of discussion.
The temperatures required to produce significant thrust from air expansion alone are simply ludicrous, and are such that they could never be reached in a formula one car.
Again – there are planes that do this simply with the radiators from their engines, not even using the temperature of the exhaust manifold.

Imentioned the North American P-51 earlier in the thread but we need tobe careful jumping to the word thrust.
Venting Hot and spent cooling air via divergent nozzle does not really create significant thrust but its does create a flwo path that reduces the drag of the radiator. I believe that is more significant.
Also, on a airplane the only force opposing motion is drag.
In a F1 car there is Drag + Friction + Rolling resisance which is a much bigger numberto overcome if you understand that a F1 car is designed to maximise two of those to achieve the best downforce and grip....

Air air accelerated by the effect will be used for another process and not the production of thrust

shelly
shelly

I was skimming autosport forum and they say mp4-27 shows clear signs of burnings on the floor, which should prove they have managed to redirect exhausts near the rear wheels. Has anyone seen those signs?
twitter: @armchair_aero

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Owen.C93 wrote: Anyway I guess this is the burnt floor. Right click view etc
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

shelly
shelly

Thanks and sorry for not having scrolled up in this thread.
twitter: @armchair_aero

Raptor22
Raptor22

I can't see any significant burn marks on the floor.
those marks could just be due to exhaust gas deposits (oil, unburnt fuel, bits of piston..)

gridwalker
gridwalker

Those "burn marks" could be many things, but it is interesting that they have formed approximately in-line with the exhaust slot exit ... it does give some credence to the theory.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

KingHamilton
KingHamilton

Bit concerned again at the amount of lap`s rival`s are doing, even the midfield team`s are racking up the lap`s while jenson`s been chilling in the garage! let`s hope this doesn`t continue and that McLaren quickly find a solution for overheating floor! Time`s Im not worried about at this minute, track time and finding reliability will be key to any team`s aspiriation`s of winning the championship.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Could McLaren be blowing the diffuser with the octo exhaust but instead of using the exhaust they are using the heated air from the radiators and sidepod intakes.
A couple of people on here have already said that the hole at the back of the engine cover has been completely blocked off.
Just a thought...feel free to shoot it down or explain the rules around why this would be illegal.

sAx
sAx

KingHamilton wrote:Bit concerned again at the amount of lap`s rival`s are doing, even the midfield team`s are racking up the lap`s while jenson`s been chilling in the garage! ...
For sure 24 laps at this point doesn't suggest they are into reliable running yet.

sAx
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

JohnsonsEvilTwin

According to McLaren:
Lots of parts to go through today, dont judge us just yet...called testing for a reason!
More could have been done.
David Purley

beelsebob
beelsebob

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:According to McLaren:
Lots of parts to go through today, dont judge us just yet...called testing for a reason!
At a guess, working through different exhaust channel shapes until they find the one that sends it down into the diffuser, *just* right.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

I havent seen anything changed to the exhausts just yet but you could be right there Bee
More could have been done.
David Purley

Shakeman

People reading the Autosport live feed would be forgiven for thinking it was qualifying.

If you want to be able to maximise the development of the car throughout the season then a good datum and good data are necessary. I wouldn't be surprised to see pitot arrays and gallons of flow viz in the coming days too in an effort to validate simulations etc etc.

Keep the faith.

Raptor22
Raptor22

sAx wrote:
KingHamilton wrote:Bit concerned again at the amount of lap`s rival`s are doing, even the midfield team`s are racking up the lap`s while jenson`s been chilling in the garage! ...
For sure 24 laps at this point doesn't suggest they are into reliable running yet.

sAx

reliability is not the focus of their presense at this test

horse

Raptor22 wrote:reliability is not the focus of their presense at this test
Well, it sort of is, right? Even if they are testing alternative conceptual exhausts, they do need to know they are reliable otherwise they won't be useful.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu