2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I didn't even want to mention that the white line they drew to illustrate the alignment was against the outer edge of the track and not the outer edge of the painted white line 😂
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

https://formu1a.uno/en/mclaren-protests ... ty-doubts/

MCLAREN NOT CONVINCED THAT PIASTRI EXCEEDED TRACK LIMITS
Stella says McLaren believes the evidence does not prove that Piastri was off track.

He also recalled a clarification that arose at last year’s US GP, which stated that the evidence used has to be consistent and applicable to all cars.

“We have sought clarification,” said Stella. “In particular, we wanted to look at the evidence whereby the car was beyond the track limits, beyond any reasonable doubt. I cannot say that the beyond the reasonable doubt is satisfied.

“There’s a couple of principles. One is that the system used needs to have adequate resolution, and the second one is that the methodology used for one car needs to be applicable to all cars.

“Like if you use an helicopter view for a car, you need to use the helicopter view and it needs to be available for all cars.

“We are normally very supportive of FIA. We always recognise that everyone is trying their best. But in this case, we couldn’t agree that the car is beyond the track limit, beyond any reasonable doubt, and satisfying the two conditions I said before. So the discussion is still ongoing.”

Stella stressed that McLaren will accept any penalty where there is no doubt: “We had a case last year in Qatar when Lando was spotted beyond the track limits by the helicopter view and as clear resolution and accuracy, the car is outside, no point, thank you very much, and we move forward.

“But in this case, it’s just everything blurred, and affected by the shadow. There’s quite a lot to come here, compete, put together qualifying laps, and when the penalty is so severe, like having the lap deleted, then we need to make sure that the penalty enforced is enforced beyond any reasonable doubt.”

-Bandit

Seerix
Seerix

venkyhere wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 20:00
Luscion wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 19:21
What got his lap time deleted

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GRQHIUEWAAE ... me=900x900
I dont know why people in this thread are doubting or why the protest fiasco by Mclaren is happening, if the excuse is "image is not conclusive". There might be other reasons why McLaren is protesting.

Because clearly, any human with IQ around 100 or any basic AI bot with image processing ability, should be able to spot that track limit is clearly breached.

https://i.imgur.com/ym80L0I.png
I think Oscar was out of track limits tbh, but do you realize your white line is wrong on this mspaint masterpiece? :D
The wheel has to be on the blue line, hence the border of track limits is on the other side of the white line than what you have 'created'.

organic

Hmmm

mwillems

Am I reading this right? It's not admissible because they didn't fill the paperwork out correctly?

it failed because it was addressed to the wrong person, didn't quote the regulation and didn't specify against whom it was lodged.

It didn't even get to the idea of discussing whether the footage was suitable.

-Bandit

Marc.W

mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 21:52

Am I reading this right? It's not admissible because they didn't fill the paperwork out correctly?

it failed because it was addressed to the wrong person, didn't quote the regulation and didn't specify against whom it was lodged.

It didn't even get to the idea of discussing whether the footage was suitable.
My reading of it is that yes, the paperwork wasn't filed correctly, but it also says "A decision of the Stewards is not open to protest"

chrisc90

Amateur mistakes.

CjC
CjC

Wow, just wow.
Humiliating for Mclaren to balls that up so badly.
Basically due to an administration error the FIA have pied it off.

Humiliating for the FIA too, especially after last week when they confirmed it was ok to use your 200mph+ vehicle as a weapon of intent to damage or injure another.

Bravo FIA, Bravo.
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 22:06
Amateur mistakes.
Yea the lawyers at Mercedes and Red Bull will be LOLing themselves crazy.

It goes to show how much McLaren has to learn when it comes to championship warfare

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 22:11
Wow, just wow.

Humiliating for the FIA too, especially after last week when they confirmed it was ok to use your 200mph+ vehicle as a weapon of intent to damage or injure another.

Bravo FIA, Bravo.
This time they (FIA) didn't do anything wrong. McLaren wanted to file a protest basically shooting into the dark and hoping to catch something to demand more proof from the FIA.

It was a desperate attempt anyway, they have sensors for these types of things and it gets flagged automatically. Can't remember the last time there was a false flag for track limits in modern era.

It does look bad on McLaren though for trying to get something out of nothing and not even following the procedure right.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

I will say this about it: Oscar should have driven Turn 6 cleaner, that's all. Let him do his job better. Some drivers have already had their time reset for going outside the white line at Turn 6.

If the automation works, then human errors should be reduced. But in the future, I would still like to see less than one and a half meters between the white line and the gravel. Then it would be a real natural obstacle.

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 22:17
CjC wrote:
Wow, just wow.

Bravo FIA, Bravo.
This time they (FIA) didn't do anything wrong. McLaren wanted to file a protest basically shooting into the dark and hoping to catch something to demand more proof from the FIA.

It was a desperate attempt anyway, they have sensors for these types of things and it gets flagged automatically. Can't remember the last time there was a false flag for track limits in modern era.

It does look bad on McLaren though for trying to get something out of nothing and not even following the procedure right.
No the FIA didn’t but to pie it off for such a *hit thing is frustrating.
I will add I’m not aggrieved that it’s gone against McLaren.
It’s just lesson taught to McLaren and any of the other teams who took note that they’ll need to allocate some of their racing budget to a solicitor to wade through the FIAs bureaucracy.
Because that’s why we’ll all get up tomorrow and tune in the afternoon to watch that.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:
Wow, just wow.

Bravo FIA, Bravo.

They don't have sensors for track limits, I'm sure.

But it was definitely a balls up of a protest.

Still, too many times policing track limits has come up. If they insist on doing it, they should invest in the proper technology to do it properly. There's now way that the footage they have shown is useable.

Even at COTA last year they didn't police track limits at one of the turns because they didn't have a camera with a clear enough view of the Apex, even though Perez onboard clearly showed him going off the track repeatedly. The FIA even issued a clarification to back up why they didn't police turn 6, because you have to have a view of the apex line(In this case) and of all the wheels being demonstrably over it.
This camera angle is on the wrong side of the car, you can't even see the line against the car for the most part.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
29 Jun 2024, 22:46
Emag wrote:
CjC wrote:
Wow, just wow.

Bravo FIA, Bravo.

They don't have sensors for track limits, I'm sure.
It’s so ridiculous it should be laughable.
Multi billion dollar sport and there isn’t a fixed camera absolutely bang on, looking down the line recording footage.
I’ll use speed cameras and parking fines as an example…. You don’t receive a fine in the post with a letter saying that Mr/ Mrs so and so you have been fined X amount so parking longer than you have paid for- please take out word for it.
There is a picture of the car and the reg to prove you are worthy of the fine.

Mclaren have received no such images to prove Oscar was at fault

bauc

F@ckinnng FIA, joke decision against PIA...... this is ridiculous.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg