Lotus E20 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Lotus E20 Renault

Left is AUS and MAL spec. They lowered the pipes (right) engine cover is the same (apart from the central air outlet) take the beam wing and the Renault stickers as reference

madly
madly

Carlo's
Carlo's

Upgrades didn't work and they took them away before Quali or even third practice. Shame...

Blackout

All updates ?
Some photos prove that atleast KR was still using new FW and RW in FP3

Crucial_Xtreme
Crucial_Xtreme

I'm somewhat surprised with the new RW extending out over the diffuser, Lotus hasn't added extensions like most other teams.

Blackout

Most noticeable chinese updates (all photos taken in FP - Both drivers only used the new RW in race)

AnthonyG

So Kimi had updates, Grosjean didn't?
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Donuts

Carlo's wrote:Upgrades didn't work and they took them away before Quali or even third practice. Shame...
Not true, read full statement by James Allison on Lotus F1 Homepage. Beacuse of the weather condisions during practice they could'nt asses the new parts so they went back to the old configuration for the race. They are testing the same parts again in Bahrain, plus some more parts which include a new pushrod suspension.
Last edited by Donuts on 18 Apr 2012, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

zoro_f1

bad result in china with their new updates.
Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

shelly
shelly

@Crucial: I think Lotus does not sport rear endplate extension because they have a more aggressive tranversal angle of the flow at the sides of the diffuser and this prevents them to put extensions with enough chord at the suitable angle while fitting in the legality box for the endplate (which prescribes a maximum width).

Notice in the picture the distinctive features of lotus floor fences: a very small outer channel and a significant angle to the symmetry plane in top view
twitter: @armchair_aero

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Blackout wrote:Most noticeable chinese updates (all photos taken in FP - Both drivers only used the new RW in race)

The edge of the diffuser looks the same, just different angle I think.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Blackout

Nope the edges are different in shape and size. And previous diffuser has 3 channels on each side of the central large channel + the narrow outer channels, while the new diffuser has a channel less and larger outer channels ;)

MarkedOne8
MarkedOne8

James Allison, Lotus technical director
“We go to Bahrain knowing that we’re going to have more consistent temperatures with the tyres! That will allow us to assess the upgrade package with a more level set of conditions. We’ll get as much of it on as we can prove is good. There are a couple of new bits coming for the car, such as a new pushrod. We will benefit from more time with the bits we took to China but ultimately didn’t use for the race.

“We’re racing back on the original configuration as last used in 2009. It’ll be the first proper test of our braking systems for the year. We don’t anticipate any problems, but it will be on where we need to pay a little bit more attention to wear and temperature. It’s also a circuit where we need some good traction - Turn 1, Turn 10 especially as it’s very slow speed. We have identified this as an area where the E20 needs some work so it will be interesting to see how we perform.”
He says it would be new pushrod, not pullrod.Anyway, I think Lotus will be much stronger on this circuit.New parts plus more suitable weather and track conditions.
Fernando Alonso is the best pay-to-drive driver in F1 with the biggest amount of money behind him.
http://f1bias.com/2012/04/05/truth-abou ... nder-2008/

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Blackout wrote:Nope the edges are different in shape and size. And previous diffuser has 3 channels on each side of the central large channel + the narrow outer channels, while the new diffuser has a channel less and larger outer channels ;)
Here's a better view of the old spec. http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ar/398.jpg

I think the strakes were moved in a tiny bit on the edges.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

madly
madly

MarkedOne8 wrote:James Allison, Lotus technical director
“[..] There are a couple of new bits coming for the car, such as a new pushrod. ”

He says it would be new pushrod, not pullrod. Anyway, I think Lotus will be much stronger on this circuit.New parts plus more suitable weather and track conditions.
I understand it, as they plan to update front suspension which is a typical pushrod.