F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: F1 2019 Pre-Season Testing Thread

Who is the moron with Johny Herbert doing the commentary right now. First he says ferrari leading the lap count with 80laps, now he's saying Mercedes are lagging behind as Ferrari are dominating the testing! Does he think the Merc is running light and fully turned up ?

Also whats with the sound bleed ? Keep hearing others talking, funny noises ect ?!

Edit: Sierra117 beat me to it.

Now he is questioning Lewis' drive and enthusiasm because the W10 might not be up to it. And Vettel may be back to his best.
Last edited by NathanOlder on 20 Feb 2019, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

Sierra117 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:21
Have all the commentators taken an oath of just trolling? They're already deciding that Mercedes (or insert any other team) "have work to do", "two days in you can tell how it is" blah blah when Merc et al. have literally said again and again that everything is turned down and how literally every test session in past seasons has been more or less the same.
Sadly the only thing mainstream F1 media is good for anymore is photos, and quotes from drivers and team members. Everything else is click bate, hype, and fan boyism.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Mattchu

C5 for Kimi, remember no lines = softer for red, harder for white...

One thing I have noticed from testing [limited watching last 2 afternoons, will look some more today] is the Ferrari seems to really bounce up at the front when coming hard off the brakes [under DRS or not]. It does seem to settle back down real quick or even squat lower for the next corner.

Merc doing exactly the same as the last several testing sessions, pounding round on harder compound tyres, its quite monotonous but you have to say...it works for them!

Give the commentators a break, they have to talk about something even if its just made up nonsense :wink:
Last edited by Mattchu on 20 Feb 2019, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.

Morteza

Finally!

Last edited by Morteza on 20 Feb 2019, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

DrDejan
DrDejan

Interesting observation by Gary Anderson on Autosport about the new front wings. I’m paraphrasing, check the testing live feed for the video of the analysis.

Red Bull has a Mercedes-like front wing. Toro Rosso is using a Ferrari-styled one. Given their close collaboration, whatever concept they converge to during the season is the better one.

Morteza

DrDejan wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:31
Interesting observation by Gary Anderson on Autosport about the new front wings. I’m paraphrasing, check the testing live feed for the video of the analysis.

Red Bull has a Mercedes-like front wing. Toro Rosso is using a Ferrari-styled one. Given their close collaboration, whatever concept they converge to during the season is the better one.
Here's the video
Last edited by Morteza on 20 Feb 2019, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GPR-A

dans79 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:25
Sierra117 wrote:
Have all the commentators taken an oath of just trolling? They're already deciding that Mercedes (or insert any other team) "have work to do", "two days in you can tell how it is" blah blah when Merc et al. have literally said again and again that everything is turned down and how literally every test session in past seasons has been more or less the same.
Sadly the only thing mainstream F1 media is good for anymore is photos, and quotes from drivers and team members. Everything else is click bate, hype, and fan boyism.
When you put clowns to present a show and NOT those who have the experience of racing in modern generation of cars OR engineers with deep experience, this is what you get. The problem is, people of such experience cannot keep blabbering the whole day and hence, they don't fit for commentary. Some of these old generations drivers like Martin Brundle and Johnny Herberet have been morphed into stupid show presenters and nothing more. When there is Anthony Davidson, Paul Di Resta and to some extent Karun Chandhok, you hear at least something interesting. People like Crofty, Ted et al, bore you to death.

A program like F1 testing has so many beautiful and interesting details from new cars that a nerd can go and on digging the details of, but all we get is truck load of BS. Who really care about the pecking order based on the skewed testing picture?

FMP
FMP

DrDejan wrote:

I have been thinking about it for a while. Even if you're not allowed to share data on parts that you must hold the intellectual property for, my feeling is that Ferrari aligned teams (Sauber/Haas) are not going to share data with Ferrari whereas Toro Rosso does that for Red Bull. And this is pure speculation from my side. I would like to throw this out there just so we could see if anyone found information confirming or denying it? Not just feelings but interviews etc.

TwanV
TwanV

It doesn't look nearly as crude as I feared it would be, that's a relief. Is it me or does the front suspension look very compact/upstream?
Last edited by TwanV on 20 Feb 2019, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Front wing looks very simple.

FMP
FMP

GPR -A wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:34
dans79 wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:25
Sierra117 wrote:
When you put clowns to present a show and NOT those who have the experience of racing in modern generation of cars OR engineers with deep experience, this is what you get. The problem is, people of such experience cannot keep blabbering the whole day and hence, they don't fit for commentary. Some of these old generations drivers like Martin Brundle and Johnny Herberet have been morphed into stupid show presenters and nothing more. When there is Anthony Davidson, Paul Di Resta and to some extent Karun Chandhok, you hear at least something interesting. People like Crofty, Ted et al, bore you to death.

A program like F1 testing has so many beautiful and interesting details from new cars that a nerd can go and on digging the details of, but all we get is truck load of BS. Who really care about the pecking order based on the skewed testing picture?
Absolutely, just look at this forum... So much information about updated parts and their potential use/impact etc. If they would just follow this forum and discuss that on tv it would be better! I'm lucky to live in a country where we have F1 TV Pro (from this season) so I can have the FX channel instead of Sky commentators.

Tzk
Tzk

GPR -A wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:34
Some of these old generations drivers like Martin Brundle and Johnny Herberet have been morphed into stupid show presenters and nothing more. When there is Anthony Davidson, Paul Di Resta and to some extent Karun Chandhok, you hear at least something interesting. People like Crofty, Ted et al, bore you to death.
I'd like to add Nico Rosberg and Timo Glock to that list. Those two are the experts on german tv (RTL). Both can give interesting insights on how and why things happen. The rest of the presenters are just like you expect them to be, they usually prefer the car with the prettiest colors :D

But still, this is also a matter of targeting the audience. On RTL they explain literally every race what an undercut is. Somepoint in 2018 they found out what an overcut is and thus, are now explaining both every damn race #-o
Last edited by Tzk on 20 Feb 2019, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

FMP wrote:
20 Feb 2019, 15:36
DrDejan wrote:

I have been thinking about it for a while. Even if you're not allowed to share data on parts that you must hold the intellectual property for, my feeling is that Ferrari aligned teams (Sauber/Haas) are not going to share data with Ferrari whereas Toro Rosso does that for Red Bull. And this is pure speculation from my side. I would like to throw this out there just so we could see if anyone found information confirming or denying it? Not just feelings but interviews etc.
Agree on Haas, but 99% sure the reason “sauber” is now Alfa Romeo is specifically to solve this problem. Coincidence their chassis guy (resta) is now at Alfa, or that they share engine/gearbox/rear suspension, or that they converged on front wing designs? Alfa did a shake down at Fiorano - likely so Ferrari knew the engine was peachy before their own “filming day” in Barca.

Alfa is to Ferrari what TR is to RB. My opinion only of course, but that’s the impression I got.

Tzk
Tzk

Hum, those Williams sidepods actually don't look that wrong. Let's see how it goes.

Morteza

Autosport Live wrote:Ricciardo's taken over the Renault for the afternoon and has a rear wing that's able to use DRS.Ricciardo suffered a rear wing failure yesterday and Hulkenberg was not using DRS this morning.