2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marc.W

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Just caught up with the race, Max's moving under brakes should've been penalised 3 moves ago

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Marc.W wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:45
Just caught up with the race, Max's moving under brakes should've been penalised 3 moves ago
golden boy saved by F1.

Marc.W

selvam_e2002 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:51
Marc.W wrote:
golden boy saved by F1.
And as usual can't actually race fairly.

organic

Marc.W wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:52
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Marc.W wrote:
golden boy saved by F1.
He doesn't seem to have problems racing with Charles over the last few years even when Charles has got the better of him

Just Brits he has a problem with then

Xero

organic wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:56
Marc.W wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 18:52
selvam_e2002 wrote:

golden boy saved by F1.
He doesn't seem to have problems racing with Charles over the last few years even when Charles has got the better of him

Just Brits he has a problem with then
Charles has never been a consistent championship threat to him, Norris has emerged as exactly that over the last 5 races. I thought Max had matured over the past couple of years, surprised to see this side of him rear it's ugly head again.

McLaren are going to be fast at Silverstone, expecting a steely focused Lando to do the job.

Tomsky
Tomsky

Emag
Emag

I think it's fair to say that a wdc is far too unlikely to happen for Lando this year. The think is, Max is ahead by a landslide, and he plays the game dirty when he is so far ahead. He will risk everything in battles like these because a double dnf still keeps him ahead. Whereas in 2022, when he was behind at the beginning, he was a little bit more lenient.

He played the same game in 2021 really. Remember Jeddah, it was basically illegal "defending" in my eyes, and it remains so. It just happen not to change the result of the race in the end because Lewis won and Max was second. Still, Max basically was begging Lewis to crash into him there. Very dirty no matter how you look at it.

Anyway, the wcc is still on the cards though, and I really hope they keep this momentum throughout the entirety of the season. If the car keeps performing like this relative to the competitors, they should win again at some point. It's important not to take steps back in the second half though. Ferrari again showing it's not so easy to remain a constant threat and their upgrades have brought some unexpected behaviors in their car in the form of porpoising.

McLaren keeping this level until the end of the season is really important and telling for what could happen in 2025 and beyond.

Ir3NiCuS
Ir3NiCuS

You guys said everything about Nor vs Max incident but what breaks my heart is that stupid Piastri penalty in Q3. Most likely he would have won the race without that...

Marc.W

Emag wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 19:27
I think it's fair to say that a wdc is far too unlikely to happen for Lando this year. The think is, Max is ahead by a landslide, and he plays the game dirty when he is so far ahead. He will risk everything in battles like these because a double dnf still keeps him ahead. Whereas in 2022, when he was behind at the beginning, he was a little bit more lenient.

He played the same game in 2021 really. Remember Jeddah, it was basically illegal "defending" in my eyes, and it remains so. It just happen not to change the result of the race in the end because Lewis won and Max was second. Still, Max basically was begging Lewis to crash into him there. Very dirty no matter how you look at it.

Anyway, the wcc is still on the cards though, and I really hope they keep this momentum throughout the entirety of the season. If the car keeps performing like this relative to the competitors, they should win again at some point. It's important not to take steps back in the second half though. Ferrari again showing it's not so easy to remain a constant threat and their upgrades have brought some unexpected behaviors in their car in the form of porpoising.

McLaren keeping this level until the end of the season is really important and telling for what could happen in 2025 and beyond.
Honestly I don't think the WDC was ever on, we had too slow a start and Max is always there or thereabouts, if Lando had have made it past Max today and didn't get the penalty the fight for the WDC would have been closer, but I don't think anyone was expecting a proper title fight.

Thankfully Perez has a new contract so the WCC seems much more likely this year

mwillems

I made this point last week. Max has been steadily extending his lead. To have a chance we needed to convert a couple of those races into wins, but we didn't, but it is good practise for Lando.

Today was dissapointing. Max was going over the edge each time by a small amount, and that's how he gets away with it.

Lando was also being a bit silly but I don't think it ever deserved a sanction.

As Stella said, this is years of letting Max drive like a 12 year old on a PS4.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Not been following the thread much after the race so apologises if this has already been brought up.
Does anyone know why Verstappen wasn’t punished for forcing Lando off the track when they were both trying to limp back to the pits?
Just a fan's point of view

Ben1980
Ben1980

I was settling for a comfy second. But, that all went mad. (Like the football, settling for being knocked out, then it all went mad).

I was really impressed with Lando fighting it out. I thought it interesting what Davidson said on sky, about the drivers losing confidence with Max, due to him being erratic.

It may be different if it was an actual title challenge, but let's show we can fight them.

SchuMassa
SchuMassa

As a (mostly) neutral fan, I'm sad it went down like this. But one must say Norris didn't handle all of this professionally on the radio and in his post-race interviews.

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:
30 Jun 2024, 21:07
I was settling for a comfy second. But, that all went mad. (Like the football, settling for being knocked out, then it all went mad).

I was really impressed with Lando fighting it out. I thought it interesting what Davidson said on sky, about the drivers losing confidence with Max, due to him being erratic.

It may be different if it was an actual title challenge, but let's show we can fight them.
I thought Davidson’ analysis of the incident was spot on today, especially when he threw in the Leclerc/ Verstappen 2019 move.
Davidson provided the level of detail today that Mclaren wanted from the FIA yesterday for Oscars deleted laptime #-o
Just a fan's point of view

Darth-Piekus

Is it possible for Mclaren to appeal for a bigger punishment for Max? I don't feel his punishment was enough.