2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
yooogurt

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Paa wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 14:45
I don't really get Ferrari. I would offer this kind of power to Newey, even if he doesn't specifically ask for it.
I really don't think Newey wants these prerogatives, because of ego. He just wants to make sure that he will have the right structure/work environment to maximalise potential. And not stuck into the mud, due to some political s**t.

Why would you not want to give him that, outside of having big ego as Ferrari boss? The whole point of bringing him is to change the system/structure that didn't yield results in the last 10+ years. Adrian has a proven track record, while Ferrari bosses don't. Also I think Adrian got the same power in RedBull and probably will get it with Aston, so it not something extraordinary.
Yeah, i think it was straight bingo when Newey wanted to be more than just a consultant and build the next winning team (theres no better figure for this job). They had the best chance to get the long awaited championship, and threw it in the trash because of their egos. But the weird thing is why Elkann approved it.
Although Elkann back under Bin, blocked Todt coming to the team, maybe it was because of his ego.
FORZA FERRARI!

FDD
FDD

KimiRai wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 11:11
So Mister X is Mike Elliott it seems? Unless there's other name but it looks like it. If that's the case, Mercedes reunion with Loic Serra, Hamilton and Elliott
But FV said that is five letters name, who knows.
Eddie Jordan I think knows.

scuderiabrandon

KimiRai wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 11:11
So Mister X is Mike Elliott it seems? Unless there's other name but it looks like it. If that's the case, Mercedes reunion with Loic Serra, Hamilton and Elliott
Please reread that motorsport article and tell me there is anything concrete about Elliot. Nugnes' uses words like "could". He is purely speculating because there is nothing else to write about. Even if he ends up being right, which happens once in a blue moon, he still didn't write anything that "would" suggest an arrival for Elliot in Maranello.

yooogurt

scuderiabrandon wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 16:04
Please reread that motorsport article and tell me there is anything concrete about Elliot. Nugnes' uses words like "could". He is purely speculating because there is nothing else to write about. Even if he ends up being right, which happens once in a blue moon, he still didn't write anything that "would" suggest an arrival for Elliot in Maranello.
And Nugnes said that mr x was in an ununannounced gardening, Elliott does not fit his own description, because Elliott departure has already been announced.I think its either nobody/Serra and Nugnes messed up, or its going to be Fellows.
FORZA FERRARI!

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 12:39
I mean Elkann has the last word, and its strange, what does he care who chooses suppliers and builds the technical part of the team, Vasseur, Vinga or Newey? But the last one has built more than one winning team.
And, imho, it was necessary to agree to the terms, even if it would have cost the search for a new TP, because the chances that the winning team will be built by Newey (now in Aston) much more than Vasseur and Vinga will do it.
Ferrari has had the strongest Brand Strength Index for years now (1) and it's a publicly traded company on NYSE (2). This means they need to take exceptional care when signing up with different partners since:
1) they need to make sure they aren't going to lose value with any deal, irrelevant of the type of deal, money involved etc.
2) they need to make sure any deal is pre-approved with authorities, not prematurely announced, followed the proper procedures etc.

Nurturing the brand image and legal procedures for a public company mean you can't have any single person vetoing any deal related to Ferrari (as a company, not just as F1 team) under any circumstance. This is way above F1 team, which is why I strongly suspect Newey never really considered going to Ferrari and chose this approach to force them to decline.

As for building a winning team, Newey never did it himself, he's an engineer and a technical officer, not a TP. He wanted big decision-making influence in Williams and was declined, so he moved to McLaren. He wanted big influence plus shares in McLaren and was declined, so he moved to RBR. There was no reason to decline any of his requests by Red Bull when he moved there, but because of this pattern of ambitious demands I'm starting to think there was much more to him leaving RBR other than being dissatisfied with the atmosphere...

I don't see a problem for AM to meet all his requests, potentially even make him the TP or a new kind of technical position above the TP and CTO. His ambition within Ferrari is inappropriate for such a historic team, he should find an investor and buy a team and name it Newey GP or whatever if he wants to be the most important person in the team
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 19:49
Ferrari has had the strongest Brand Strength Index for years now (1) and it's a publicly traded company on NYSE (2). This means they need to take exceptional care when signing up with different partners since:
1) they need to make sure they aren't going to lose value with any deal, irrelevant of the type of deal, money involved etc.
2) they need to make sure any deal is pre-approved with authorities, not prematurely announced, followed the proper procedures etc.

Nurturing the brand image and legal procedures for a public company mean you can't have any single person vetoing any deal related to Ferrari (as a company, not just as F1 team) under any circumstance. This is way above F1 team, which is why I strongly suspect Newey never really considered going to Ferrari and chose this approach to force them to decline.

As for building a winning team, Newey never did it himself, he's an engineer and a technical officer, not a TP. He wanted big decision-making influence in Williams and was declined, so he moved to McLaren. He wanted big influence plus shares in McLaren and was declined, so he moved to RBR. There was no reason to decline any of his requests by Red Bull when he moved there, but because of this pattern of ambitious demands I'm starting to think there was much more to him leaving RBR other than being dissatisfied with the atmosphere...

I don't see a problem for AM to meet all his requests, potentially even make him the TP or a new kind of technical position above the TP and CTO. His ambition within Ferrari is inappropriate for such a historic team, he should find an investor and buy a team and name it Newey GP or whatever if he wants to be the most important person in the team
Wait, why you think that Newey want some power outside racing team? I dont think so.
The autosprint article says that Vasseur vetoed him coming in. And Fred is not involved in the main company, and they are separate from each other as far as I remember (unless of course the rumors that Elkann canceled Gianni and Enzo agreement are true). But in September we will see what Newey will get at Aston (whether there will be anything in the main company), and by that we can understand his requests at Ferrari too
FORZA FERRARI!

catent

If Newey is seeking full decision-making control/autonomy/veto-power within a given team as it relates to technical structure, personnel, and technical sponsorships, he is effectively seeking a role as de facto team principal rather than technical director.

bluechris

catent wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 20:33
If Newey is seeking full decision-making control/autonomy/veto-power within a given team as it relates to technical structure, personnel, and technical sponsorships, he is effectively seeking a role as de facto team principal rather than technical director.
Which is correct in his age & achievements, it's just not happening in Ferrari at least.

codetower

If the rumors of his demands are true, I'm fine with the decision. He's obviously proven himself as a designer, but it takes a lot to make a winning team. It wasn't just him over at RB, and it wasn't just Toto at MB, or just Todt during the Michael years.

yooogurt

codetower wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 21:47
but it takes a lot to make a winning team. It wasn't just him over at RB, and it wasn't just Toto at MB, or just Todt during the Michael years.
But Vasseur instead Newey will make a better winning team, especially on the technical side?
FORZA FERRARI!

djones
djones

I’ll be genuinely amazed if Newey is not going to Ferrari.

I suspect it was one of the primary reasons Hamilton was convinced to go. This is backed by interviews in the early days with Hamilton giggling like school girl every time Newey was mentioned in the context of Ferrari.

I’d bet there is even a clause in the contract and if Newey doesn’t go then Hamilton can back out.

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
yooogurt wrote:
I mean Elkann has the last word, and its strange, what does he care who chooses suppliers and builds the technical part of the team, Vasseur, Vinga or Newey? But the last one has built more than one winning team.
And, imho, it was necessary to agree to the terms, even if it would have cost the search for a new TP, because the chances that the winning team will be built by Newey (now in Aston) much more than Vasseur and Vinga will do it.

Do You work for Cavalino Rampante?
As simple as that, as you define.
Ferrari is institution.
Formula 1 is Ferrari.
They build a magic circle around them and they will keep it and upgrade it.
There were many exceptional engineers in Formula 1, like Gordon Muray etc, but only
ENZO IS ALIVE & KICKING
I can not say if this is pro Ferrari or not, but that's the way it is.
PS I was Alfa Romeo fan, cause my father had Giulia 1973 model, when they left F1 I had to choose other team from Italia :D magic is working for me :D

LetHimTrough
LetHimTrough

FDD wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 23:58
Vanja #66 wrote:
yooogurt wrote:

As simple as that, as you define.
Ferrari is institution.
Formula 1 is Ferrari.
They build a magic circle around them and they will keep it and upgrade it.
There were many exceptional engineers in Formula 1, like Gordon Muray etc, but only
ENZO IS ALIVE & KICKING
I can not say if this is pro Ferrari or not, but that's the way it is.
PS I was Alfa Romeo fan, cause my father had Giulia 1973 model, when they left F1 I had to choose other team from Italia :D magic is working for me :D
And In my case the magic worked because my dad had a FIAT Ritmo and those "gloriously beautiful" Ferraris of the beginning of the 90's had quite a big FIAT logo, so quite easy to choose the team to support :D

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 20:27
Wait, why you think that Newey want some power outside racing team? I dont think so.
The autosprint article says that Vasseur vetoed him coming in. And Fred is not involved in the main company, and they are separate from each other as far as I remember (unless of course the rumors that Elkann canceled Gianni and Enzo agreement are true). But in September we will see what Newey will get at Aston (whether there will be anything in the main company), and by that we can understand his requests at Ferrari too
It's all one brand and therefore inseparable. When Hamilton's move was leaked, Ferrari had to make a hasty official announcement to avoid prosecution by US SEC for market tampering (something that Elon Musk does all the time, btw)

Weather Vasseur or Vigna or both blocked the move, it stands to reason Newey wanted maybe even the biggest role within the team (reports suggest he'd overshadow both of them in some ways) and that can't happen. Brawn confronted di Montezemolo and said he'd leave if Luca interferes beyond the scope of their agreement. Schumi backed Brawn and said he'd leave as well if Brawn leaves. All of this happened when both where already in the team and started contributing massively

FDD wrote:
06 Aug 2024, 23:58
Don't ask such nasty questions :cry:

:mrgreen:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Aug 2024, 10:12
Weather Vasseur or Vigna or both blocked the move, it stands to reason Newey wanted maybe even the biggest role within the team (reports suggest he'd overshadow both of them in some ways) and that can't happen. Brawn confronted di Montezemolo and said he'd leave if Luca interferes beyond the scope of their agreement. Schumi backed Brawn and said he'd leave as well if Brawn leaves. All of this happened when both where already in the team and started contributing massively
My understanding of this situation is that Newey just had a conflict at RB when the team stopped listening to him and sidelined him that he had to leave. He is still full of desire to build another team, but he needs guarantees that the situation as in RB will not repeat, it is not taking away all the functions of TP, but that he would not have power over him in decisions on the technical part of the team (as most likely Horner sided with Vache and pushed Newey away). And the only question remains: whether they are ready to trust him and share power? Apparently Vasseur is not ready.
FORZA FERRARI!