2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Tomsky
Tomsky

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Balalu
Balalu

chrisc90 wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 23:48
FittingMechanics wrote:
03 Jul 2024, 23:32
Lando cooling things down a bit: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/norri ... /10630905/

But he says he wouldn't change what he did. Good call. Hold your ground.
Lando will need to learn that the race isnt made in one lap or corner.

Sometimes the old saying..... "patience is a virtue" is a key point to take from things.
In what world was that not Max's fault?
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Darth-Piekus

Actually Red Bull has brought significant updates in Japan, Imola and Barcelona. They all claimed to be big but there's a big distance between words and actual delivering. Any news on our own upgrade package?

organic

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 14:20
Actually Red Bull has brought significant updates in Japan, Imola and Barcelona. They all claimed to be big but there's a big distance between words and actual delivering. Any news on our own upgrade package?
Barcelona wasn't aimed to produce much performance. Was more flow conditioning & optimizing cooling. Japan was large in the sense that it was visually obvious, but again it was not a lot of performance. Imola was meant to bring performance but it only focused on the forward floor and floor edge wing, but didn't seem to work. So it wasn't large in scope

Stella said not to expect large packages after Miami. Front wing came at Austria so perhaps something of similar size at Silverstone

chrisc90

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

organic wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 12:58
FittingMechanics wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 12:29
I'm very sceptical of all these rumours (about big Red Bull upgrades). I think social media and sites want to have exclusives so they report all those rumors and then it just grows.

For example, Red Bull already brought upgrades in Suzuka, Imola and Barcelona and they didn't change the running order much. Imola one was hyped before hand as well.
None of those upgrade packages were large, and Silverstone is the first upgrade package that they are introducing after seeing the effects of McLaren's Miami step forward; perhaps here are all their cards being laid out this weekend. Whereas Suzuka, Imola were just small floor tweaks and Barcelona wasn't a performance upgrade

McLaren themselves will bring upgrades anyway. It's unlikely the pecking order changes much
Without circuit specific upgrades.
Imola:
Front wing
Floor edge
Floor body
Nose

Suzuka:
Sidepod inlet
Floor body
Floor edge

Spain:
Beam wing
Rear wing endplate

In those races - McLaren brought 0 performance updates.

McLaren brought a big update in Miami which covered the most of the car. To me it looks more likely that Red Bull is intentionally bringing smaller updates quicker to the car and that McLaren went with "spec B" way. I'm willing to bet that Red Bull updates for Silverstone or Hungary will not be much bigger than those done previously. They may bring more performance but it's not like Red Bull was holding back their updates for a big one.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Tomsky wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 12:07
LionsHeart wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 12:03
With subsequent updates, we can count on reliable victories. We need to be patient.
RB is preparing major updates for Silverstone.They say in the simulator they show a big increase in speed.
Great. Here you go, another challenge for McLaren.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Tomsky wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 13:06
I am so glad to see that rear wing. It was very effective in Miami along with the rest of the aero package.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 14:57
The guys talked, discussed everything. They came to a balanced decision among themselves, between their struggles on the track like adults. And only you continue to throw --- on the fan.

So maybe you can answer where and when after the sprint Lando said that he was disappointed after the sprint?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

bluechris

LionsHeart wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 16:39
chrisc90 wrote:
The guys talked, discussed everything. They came to a balanced decision among themselves, between their struggles on the track like adults. And only you continue to throw --- on the fan.

So maybe you can answer where and when after the sprint Lando said that he was disappointed after the sprint?
What's the point of what they do off track? If in the track we see the same brake & turn tactics from Max then nothing is changed and Norris will understand a lesson.

CjC
CjC

So we can assume there won’t be a new floor in Silverstone

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10631277/
Just a fan's point of view

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

bluechris wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 17:50
LionsHeart wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 16:39
chrisc90 wrote:

What's the point of what they do off track? If in the track we see the same brake & turn tactics from Max then nothing is changed and Norris will understand a lesson.
They must trust each other on the track. Without this, there will be no clean fight. But there will be accidents. Lando learned his lesson. And Max learned his lesson, too. Because it was Max's driving error that led to the accident.

A few days after the race, when I had calmed down, I carefully analyzed all the replays. I am sure that Max did not want intentional contact. But there are two options. Either he made a driving error by not leaving enough space for Lando, or Max expected Lando to steer away. We see that Lando did not steer away, and Max allowed contact between the cars. There is a third option. Max wanted a little contact between the wheels to scare Lando. But from Lando's actions, we see that he is not a timid person.

Emag
Emag

CjC wrote:
04 Jul 2024, 17:55
So we can assume there won’t be a new floor in Silverstone

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... /10631277/
Probably not.

There has been a noticeable slow-down in the "original" plan for their upgrades. Or at least, in the supposed original plan we could deduce from their words earlier on the season.

Let's look at the timeline:

- Before the season even started, they mentioned that they see big potential in the development curve and they would be accelerating development to reach that potential.

- Then the season started and they mentioned that they had planned (I believe) 3 big upgrade packages for this season. The first one comes in Miami and it's a huge success. By their own words, much bigger improvement than they expected.

- After a couple of races in the blind, Stella speaks out saying that they're now confident they understand why the Miami upgrade package brought forward more performance than anticipated, but he also says there won't be any more big upgrade packages for McLaren this year, but rather they would start bringing smaller bits as soon as they're ready from the factory.

- That holds somewhat true, but the first visible change only came in Austria in the form of a front wing. Zak threw some words around potentially hinting towards some more upgrades in Silverstone, but so far there's nothing there. Could be that they split the cars to maximize learning during practice (they have done that plenty of times before), so I am going to wait until both cars hit the track tomorrow to confirm.

So, all in all, even if they do bring something here, I was particularly surprised by Stella's comments a couple of races ago saying they won't be bringing a big upgrade package like Miami anymore. And that comment came around the same time he said they were confident they understand why the Miami package turned out better than expected.

I suspect the performance gains from Miami surprised them and it caught them off guard. In a bid to better understand why it happened that way, perhaps the factory was focusing more on correlation work rather than development. And I suspect they might have found something which could have nullified their initial development plan.

If that is indeed the case, then it's not great news for this season. However it's great news for next year since it means they rectified potential development issues early enough to adapt the 2025 concept. Of course they know that taking a step in the wrong direction is very costly in this regulation set. Discounting Aston Martin which has been lost for a while now, just look at Ferrari. Even they got caught off guard by unexpected problems their developments brought.

They have to make sure everything they work on now actually delivers the expected results, otherwise you not only waste resources for nothing, you end up losing double that in trying to rectify the problems.
Last edited by Emag on 04 Jul 2024, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.

SilviuAgo

We are out for Euro, but I am happy Oscar is driving for McLaren and not playing football :))))