Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

Quoting myself, there's this from the young drivers test...

It's different from their normal wings, and looks smaller no matter which way you look.

stefan_
stefan_

Sevach wrote:Quoting myself, there's this from the young drivers test...
It's different from their normal wings, and looks smaller no matter which way you look.
The angle strikes again. The only difference is the combination between FW34 cascade section + FW35 mainplane.

FW 34 front wing (USA 2012)

FW35 front wing that you are showing us.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Sevach
Sevach

No version of the 2013 wing have flaps like the ones at the young drivers test, that's quite obvious.

FW17

Williams admits it has a problem.

"I've never seen a racing car that reacts so little to modifications," veteran team manager Dickie Stanford told Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, referring to the FW35 that has powered Maldonado to just a single point in 2013.

wesley123
wesley123

stefan_ wrote: FW35 front wing that you are showing us.
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ul/074.jpg
I am very confident that that the angle is not fooling it. The larger cascade is significantly less wide. while the inside end plate of this cascade is at the same point. Now, you could say the end plate was just further inboard, but the footplate isn't bigger.

Also, Williams have been bringing like 6 different wing specs to every race, yet never brought this one. This one was only tested at that YDT and is significantly different than all of the other wings, and also clearly looks less wide than the others.

I do think they tested a 2014 wing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

wesley123
wesley123

Let's take 2 images of the front wing from races and practices. One image has the sideways angle of the image less and the other more big than the image with the 2014 wing.

As you can see, in both images the optical illusion is that the end plate extends past the tires width. This happens in both the larger and smaller angle image. Now, my logic tells me that when this optical illusion happens at two points, this will also happen at the angles in between those two points. So by that, the YDT image would also need to have this optical illusion of the end plate extending past the tires width. Yet, it doesn't.

Also, it isn't in the upward angle of the image, because then the "optical illusion" happening in the YDT image would surely happen in those two images I posted right?

The only optical illusion happening is that under a sideways angle the wing looks wider than really is the case(due to the end plate extending past the wheels edge), this is the case with the YDT wing also. It looks wider than it really is due to the sideways angle.

Comparing these 3 wings, it is clear that the wing is less wide. Both the fact that the YDT wing doesn't extend past the tire as well as the cascades being significantly smaller than in the two images I posted give it away.

stefan_
stefan_

That explanation doesn't stand up in my oppinion because we are talking about dealing with many many variables when it comes to photography and, above all, it didn't make sense to test a 2014 part when they were trying to figure out this year's car.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Huntresa
Huntresa

wesley123 wrote:
stefan_ wrote: FW35 front wing that you are showing us.
http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... ul/074.jpg
I am very confident that that the angle is not fooling it. The larger cascade is significantly less wide. while the inside end plate of this cascade is at the same point. Now, you could say the end plate was just further inboard, but the footplate isn't bigger.

Also, Williams have been bringing like 6 different wing specs to every race, yet never brought this one. This one was only tested at that YDT and is significantly different than all of the other wings, and also clearly looks less wide than the others.

I do think they tested a 2014 wing.

Cant you see that the angle is fooling you when the cascade on the left hand side of the image is normal width while the other side isnt ? Suggesting the angle makes the right one smaller...

wesley123
wesley123

stefan_ wrote:That explanation doesn't stand up in my oppinion because we are talking about dealing with many many variables when it comes to photography and,
Like said, I have taken two images of the 2013 front wing, one at a larger angle and one at a smaller. In both cases, the front wing had the optical illusion of being extended past the wheels width. If that was the case in those two images, then that sure would mean that that YDT image, which was between both angles, would also have the optical illusion of it extending past the tires it's width, yet it does not. As a matter of fact the tire surface is visible. This indicates that the front wing is less wide than the two in the images i have provided.

Not only that, but Williams have been bringing at least 4 different wing specs to every race and constantly ran everything on and off, yet they have never brought this one. Which is weird, since the team clearly is in doubt on what works and what not. If it was a 2013 legal wing, they surely they would have brought this one also.

Also, the wing itself is significantly different than any of the other wings they have brought.

Yes, I don't know either why they would run a 2014 wing, but I cannot think of anything photography related that would cause the image to be so skewed that it makes the front wing look smaller, yet the rest of the car would not.

wesley123
wesley123

Huntresa wrote:
Cant you see that the angle is fooling you when the cascade on the left hand side of the image is normal width while the other side isnt ? Suggesting the angle makes the right one smaller...
Take a look at the images I have provided, and compare the cascade on the outer side in the images, it still is significantly smaller. Both the inside and outside cascades are significantly smaller than the ones in the images i have provided.

Huntresa
Huntresa

wesley123 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
Take a look at the images I have provided, and compare the cascade on the outer side in the images, it still is significantly smaller. Both the inside and outside cascades are significantly smaller than the ones in the images i have provided.
Yeah and that means its smaller cascades which means nothing, since you can change them around width, height and everything size way, smaller inner, larger outer 3 planes 2 planes etc etc etc

wesley123
wesley123

Huntresa wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Huntresa wrote:
Yeah and that means its smaller cascades which means nothing, since you can change them around width, height and everything size way, smaller inner, larger outer 3 planes 2 planes etc etc etc
The cascades are smaller yet the end plate of those are around the same position. This means that the large end plate has moved further inboard, with the remote end plate this means that the overall wing would also have it's area further in board. So by that, the wing is less wide, most likely to 2014 width.

Sevach
Sevach

stefan_ wrote:That explanation doesn't stand up in my oppinion because we are talking about dealing with many many variables when it comes to photography and, above all, it didn't make sense to test a 2014 part when they were trying to figure out this year's car.
Williams makes a lot of things that don't make sense... Most of the time it doesn't pay off either, it's frustrating.

Anyway, when a photo is taken from this angle a 2013 wing usually extends well past the outside tire.

Sevach
Sevach

stefan_
stefan_

India 2013 - Thursday (24.10.2013)