Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Aced

Re: Lewis Hamilton's Crash at Spa - Unconscious?

I guess this pretty much answers the question Hamilton - Spa Crash May Have Knocked Me Unconscious

wesley123
wesley123

what interests me a lot is that the car, when the first impact occurs barely gets damaged, there isnt a large piece of nose detached off the car when he hits the wall, at least much smaller then you would expect.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

HampusA

He hit the barrier straight on with the nose. It was quite a big shunt and it´s probably a pretty strong part there due to safety reasons.

Most of the time you hit something head-on it´s a tire barrier absorbing the impact.
Or you hit things at an angle that breaks the car down in a supposed manner due to safety reasons.

It could be that he hit the barrier at the perfect angle at the right speed for the nose to fully be destroyed.

Think of it like this, boil an egg, gently hit it against your head.
It will hurt some but if you do it hard the shell will crack and it won´t hurt at all.

That´s my theory but it´s probably wrong ;)
The truth will come out...

Diesel wrote:
010010011010 wrote:
Could be onto something there, not only does he hit the barrier hard, the styrofoam sign seems to get him square on the side of the head in the photo above. Also about removing his hands from the wheel, some do some dont, going back to the accident he had at the nurburgring in 2007, he kept his hands on the wheel until the car had stopped. The only reason you remove your hands is to avoid injury, and hes finished crashing/spinning when his hands fall off the wheel in this instance. Makes no sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D11R56oSBQo&NR=
Procedure is to always remove your hands from the wheel in a crash, no matter how small. The forces involved are enough to snap your wrists.

He may have blacked out, I would say it was more likely he was just winded.
I know it is the said thing to remove you hands from the wheel in a crash, as it says in my post above, but still not all drivers do. I personally perfer to be able to support my body by pushing on the wheel during impact, personal choice

2007 Nurburgring crash
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weu2AKPOeto[/youtube]

anyway my point was that when he let go of the wheel in this crash he had already finished 'crashing' so to speak and looked pretty motionless. I definately thought the was something strange when I saw it live.