McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: McLaren MCL38

Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 14:55
Macklaren wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 14:52
Can't believe there are no pictures yet esp when sky and others are at the track. Embargo?
I am honestly so confused by the whole "launch" event from McLaren this year. First they drop a video which barely shows the car at all. Then they drop some edited photo/renders of a car that is 90% MCL60. Then the car runs on track for >1 hour and all that comes out of it is a grandstand video in which you can only hear the car.

This is bizarre and not in line with what they have done in recent years. I feel like the first time we will see live images of this car is when testing starts last week. Pointless to comment much on what we already have until then.
What about Red Bull launching the default FIA car with their livery in 2022? If at least McLaren gets similar levels of success I'm not concerned at all with their underwhelming launch.

edgelo
edgelo

Could somebody tell me what a overbite is? Thanks!

Darth-Piekus

Ive seen a video regarding the new car and the youtuber claimed that the car might be back of the grid saying that this is the MCL60. Andrea Stella said something about not a ready launch car? What do you think?

Emag
Emag

edgelo wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 14:59
It's when the top lip of the sidepod inlet extends further forward compared to the bottom lip (similar to the W14 last year).

organic

edgelo wrote:

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 13:31
As it looks right now, you could pass this for a race week upgrade package of MCL60. Externally speaking, it's the least developed/changed package of all cars released so far.

With how confident they have presented themselves lately I get the feeling like this can't be it. Genuine the crowd goes mild moment.

Maybe these are just stripped renders and they hit the track with something that looks different. But at the moment it appears to be an evolution albeit with a relatively big inlet change going to an overbite.
Well if you consider what Stella said during the off season… that they expect to see the the launch car to give them same the step in performance that the Austria and Singapore upgrades brought then you are correct with the assumption that it could just be a race weekend upgrade.

He also said today that not all the development made it to the launch spec… so is it a case of we’ll see the ‘real’ Mcl38 a few races into the season… again.
?
Just a fan's point of view

mzivtins
mzivtins

Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 15:00
Ive seen a video regarding the new car and the youtuber claimed that the car might be back of the grid saying that this is the MCL60. Andrea Stella said something about not a ready launch car? What do you think?
You have watched a video from 2023. There is nothing to say that McLaren has the slowest car on the grid.

Stella has not said this at all. It might be worth staying off of wherever you get your info from because that sounds like 1 year old data :lol:

Darth-Piekus

CjC wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 15:03
Emag wrote:
Well if you consider what Stella said during the off season… that they expect to see the the launch car to give them same the step in performance that the Austria and Singapore upgrades brought then you are correct with the assumption that it could just be a race weekend upgrade.

He also said today that not all the development made it to the launch spec… so is it a case of we’ll see the ‘real’ Mcl38 a few races into the season… again.
?
I cant say I like what Stella said. Shouldnt the launch spec car be fully ready unless the launch spec is ready and he means about the upgrade package. If the team wants to make the next step and getting some wins they need to be fast from the get go.

Vanja #66

Just a gentle reminder of a message from our forum mods, everyone please stay on topic of technical discussion and refrain from lap time discussions, especially about other cars!

hollus wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 14:40
Posts talking about gained tenths have been deleted or will be shortly. The posters got (get) the text back, you are welcome to post them in the team thread.
As usual every year at this time:
a) Welcome to all the newbies!
b) No lap times, no track or championship position, no winning and losing in the car threads. Only hardware here, winning and losing goes in the team threads. Thanks.
Last edited by Vanja #66 on 14 Feb 2024, 15:21, edited 2 times in total.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mzivtins
mzivtins

Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 15:16
CjC wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 15:03
Emag wrote:

?
I cant say I like what Stella said. Shouldnt the launch spec car be fully ready unless the launch spec is ready and he means about the upgrade package. If the team wants to make the next step and getting some wins they need to be fast from the get go.
The way it works in F1 is that your development package is planned in over the year.

It has always worked this way, it is not feasible to do one batch of development and thats it.

How can you know what your next step will be without data, doing it this way is normal and a positive thing, it means each step is verified and the foundation for the next idea/iteration has stronger foundations given the newly established baselines.

edgelo
edgelo

Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 15:01
edgelo wrote:
It's when the top lip of the sidepod inlet extends further forward compared to the bottom lip (similar to the W14 last year).
Thank you a lot!! It’s what i supposed but i was no sure
organic wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 15:02
ourlenny.pic
LOL very graphic description!
Last edited by edgelo on 14 Feb 2024, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

f1rules
f1rules

its definitly on track, but kept away from public. Many year McLaren fan Sarah is at Silverstone

https://x.com/Sareyware/status/1757697013548757137?s=20

Tomsky
Tomsky

Rear suspension-wise, the layout is similar to last year.

McLaren has retained the pushrod system (blue highlight).

A similar position top rear wishbone rearward leg (light green highlight) but with a lower top wishbone inboard forward leg mount (dark green highlight) will generate more anti-lift from the rear suspension geometry controlling the car's attitude better under braking.
The driveshaft and its shroud-cum-lower wishbone rear leg (magenta highlight) and the lower wishbone forward leg (yellow highlight) are mounted in similar positions to 2023 but at slightly different angles.
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/gary ... 24-f1-car/

hollus

Posts talking about gained tenths have been deleted or will be shortly. The posters got (get) the text back, you are welcome to post them in the team thread.
As usual every year at this time:
a) Welcome to all the newbies!
b) No lap times, no track or championship position, no winning and losing in the car threads. Only hardware here, winning and losing goes in the team threads. Thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics