2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, Sep 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, Sep 13-15

"I am stupid" moment.

erudite450
erudite450

For a driver of Leclerc's quality to still be having this number of unforced errors in his 7th season in the sport is difficult to understand.

Sevach
Sevach

ColaMuro now.

SKYnRacing24

JV keeping it real in the comms box, Harry and Karun probably abit miffed about his stance on Antonelli but i think he's spot on.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Sevach
Sevach

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 12:19
JV keeping it real in the comms box, Harry and Karun probably abit miffed about his stance on Antonelli but i think he's spot on.
What did he say?

atanatizante

ImageImage

It seems that top teams have split the high and low DF setup between the 2 drivers:
- HAM, PIA, LEC went for the low DF
- RUS, NOR, SAI for the high DF
- VER and PER both for the high DF
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

InsaneX_Badger

Was FP1 telling us anything useful? Or will we have to wait for FP2 to get a better idea of the true order

SKYnRacing24

Sevach wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 12:28
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 12:19
What did he say?
Roughly about Antonelli needing to be ready regardless if people think he isn't. Toto has been putting his all into raising a new Max Verstappen and needs Antonelli to deliver in his first yeah.

Then when Harry and Karun were impressed with Antonelli in Italy, JV stepped in to say he was technically overdriving to put it in the wall the way he did (ran out of tyres) and i agree with that. This whole " He crashed but he was fast as hell " narrative is getting stale. Qualy has always had that mentality of pushing the car over the limit. Maybe early pirelli years but these tyres in this era can't be pushed like that flat out through a lap. Depending on conditions and track you see where certain drivers are exploiting tyre grip in particular sectors.
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Sevach
Sevach

SKYnRacing24 wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 13:29

Roughly about Antonelli needing to be ready regardless if people think he isn't. Toto has been putting his all into raising a new Max Verstappen and needs Antonelli to deliver in his first yeah.

Then when Harry and Karun were impressed with Antonelli in Italy, JV stepped in to say he was technically overdriving to put it in the wall the way he did (ran out of tyres) and i agree with that. This whole " He crashed but he was fast as hell " narrative is getting stale. Qualy has always had that mentality of pushing the car over the limit. Maybe early pirelli years but these tyres in this era can't be pushed like that flat out through a lap. Depending on conditions and track you see where certain drivers are exploiting tyre grip in particular sectors.
JV has a reputation for insane takes, but i think he's on point this time.

This "he was so fast" is silly.
First, it was ridiculously early in FP1, Hamilton sure wasn't showing his true pace.
Second, you have to be fast and in control which he wasn't.

Not to say i hate the kid, good job today, 2nd on the grid .017 from pole.

organic

As Brandon points out F2 is also >2s slower than last year. Track is slow today

organic

RB are heavily sandbagging

Francis Bacon
Francis Bacon

atanatizante wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 12:45
https://postimages.org/ https://postimages.org/

It seems that top teams have split the high and low DF setup between the 2 drivers:
- HAM, PIA, LEC went for the low DF
- RUS, NOR, SAI for the high DF
- VER and PER both for the high DF
Norris observation: May have been on high DF RW, he wasn't strong in any sector or the speed trap, indeed far from it. Pastri was quicker everywhere. Yet Lando was fourth quickest, ahead of Carolos and Oscar. Since his quickest time was in S1, seems to me that they're dialing in slow speed cornering and especially exits and perhaps sandbagging on the straight. This, plus he may have been heavy fuel, doing long run testing on a green track and assessing tire degradation. Whatever the case, this isn't race pace we're seeing or anything close. Ominous, but need to see more data to be sure.

search

organic wrote:
13 Sep 2024, 14:52
As Brandon points out F2 is also >2s slower than last year. Track is slow today
Isola just said that contrary to last year, the organizers did not do a high-pressure track clean-up, which led to the much slower times.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Some serious long run pace by Red Bull. Piastri was matching the pace for a while into the stint but seemed to drop of in the end in all sectors, even though he looked to be in clear air. Still a lot to come of course with them being way off last years qualifying pace, but it should be the same for all.

search

Toto Wolff said that Russell's long run on hards was much worse than expected. They expected steady lap times, but this wasn't he case at all. So they aren't quite sure yet what the tire situation will be like this weekend.