2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, April 6-8

Sure you are allowed 2 wheels over the white line, but the fact remains that over the white line is off track, and if Lewis went wider, It would mean Max pushed Lewis off track, and thats not allowed in that situation.

I know probably every driver has done it before , but it doesnt mean its right. So it basically answers the question that it was Max doing the wrong on this occasion
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

George-Jung wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 13:43
But hé, ifs and buts..
Sounds like your typical post, always gotta have something to say to antagonize.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Mandrake
Mandrake

In the end I am happy as well that Verstappen has been shown his limit and that will hopefully change his attitude in the races to come.

Last year I wanted someone to actually plow into the back of Verstappen when he did his last minute moves under braking. Maybe Hamilton to do this year when the opportunity arises.

iotar__

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 14:36
Sure you are allowed 2 wheels over the white line, but the fact remains that over the white line is off track, and if Lewis went wider, It would mean Max pushed Lewis off track, and thats not allowed in that situation.
- "Not allowed" meaning my favourite driver was pushed? Hamilton sent Rosberg off (two wheels) in USA, Canada and Japan. I guess that was allowed? A. pushing off was secondary, B. you don't need two wheels for it to be illegal (imagine sand :roll: or a wall, kerb is enough) C. It was a case of causing collision if anything but good luck with Whiting even touching that.

- The only important part is that it was a clumsy, low skills attempt:
* jump, outbrake yourself late and at an angle you can't take a corner quickly enough with the other car on the outside
* notice the other car inside (Alonso), no second option, panic, although I suspect it would be easier (space) but simillar in terms of angle/pace without it
* panic steer left (partially forced, you can't take a corner without slowing down/losing advantage, example Hungary '17)
* overtake through collision/game of chicken not skills, survive or not, it was no different to three overtakes through collision in Monza '17, Abu Dhabi vs Hulkenberg start, Singapore '17 or some others.

Enough about that. What's the point of fake unsafe release penalties? That was as unsafe as it can be and the cost is zero. Stop pretending Charlie Whiting.

George-Jung
George-Jung

dans79 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 14:58

Sounds like I always gotta have something to say to antagonize.
I appreciate your honesty, but next time- please do quote my post in full.

ferkan
ferkan

Nothing about this little Max "adventure" makes me think he is any less of a driver I thought he was. If anything, it is probably exact opposite. With a tiny bit more maturity, he will make chumps out of other drivers on the track. Guy started 15th and in 2 laps was on Lewis gearbox. Had he gone a bit less aggressive in T1, he would have overtaken Lewis and half of field in front of him in span of 2 laps. He is talent that makes likes of Hamilton, Ric and Vettel scared. Reminds me of Lewis in his rookie year, he is just that good, if not better then anyone I've seen at that age.

GPR-A duplicate2

ferkan wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 15:53
Had he gone a bit less aggressive in T1, he would have overtaken Lewis and half of field in front of him in span of 2 laps.
Without focusing on shenanigans, Max could have and should have overtaken Lewis, purely because, Lewis was on harder compound, which naturally takes relatively longer to get into the performance zone.

If not for the sort of dive bomb speed that Max carried into that corner, where he could have easily rammed into the back of Alonso, he shouldn't have been that close to Lewis. When he did and tried avoiding ramming into Alonso, he moved on Lewis' front wing. Not a wise move.

You need to remember, there have been more instances where Lewis on harder tyres has managed to hold back guy behind him on faster tyres. Once again, it was the dive bomb speed that brought him closer, without which he would have been held back by Lewis under normal racing speed circumstances.

In my opinion, Lewis still remains the best rookie to have made a debut with such success, purely because of the control he demonstrated with the car, other than his natural speed. Max to his credit, has too many clumsy moves if you do a comparison of the number of races he has started to Lewis at the same stage of his career. Even in 2009, which was the most difficult year for McLaren after having won the driver's title, he still demonstrated a lot of maturity in handling the lack of pace in the car and never allowed his frustration to get better of him. 2011 was a disaster though.

I was hoping that 2018 would be a monumental year for Max and he would stamp his authority, but so far, he has been a let down.

dans79

GPR-A wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 16:23
If not for the sort of dive bomb speed that Max carried into that corner, where he could have easily rammed into the back of Alonso, he shouldn't have been that close to Lewis. When he did and tried avoiding ramming into Alonso, he moved on Lewis' front wing. Not a wise move.
Dive bombing seems to be the only move max knows. Worse yet, he apparently hasn't learned that it's not always a good idea. Spa 2016 taught him nothing.
201 105 104 9 9 7

langedweil

GPR-A wrote:
ferkan wrote:
Had he gone a bit less aggressive in T1, he would have overtaken Lewis and half of field in front of him in span of 2 laps.
Without focusing on shenanigans, Max could have and should have overtaken Lewis, purely because, Lewis was on harder compound, which naturally takes relatively longer to get into the performance zone.
They were both on soft’s ?
HuggaWugga !

langedweil

dans79 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 16:37
Dive bombing seems to be the only move max knows. Worse yet, he apparently hasn't learned that it's not always a good idea. Spa 2016 taught him nothing.
Then it’s at least exactly the same divebomb as Lewis makes little later on when passing Hulk and the 2 others (maybe even more extreme), where Lewis only lives to tell the tale because Hulk knows he lost the corner and backs out of that squable.
HuggaWugga !

GPR-A duplicate2

langedweil wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 17:10
GPR-A wrote:
ferkan wrote:
They were both on soft’s ?
Oops... You are right. My bad. #-o

Phil

ferkan wrote:
Nothing about this little Max "adventure" makes me think he is any less of a driver I thought he was. If anything, it is probably exact opposite. With a tiny bit more maturity, he will make chumps out of other drivers on the track. Guy started 15th and in 2 laps was on Lewis gearbox. Had he gone a bit less aggressive in T1, he would have overtaken Lewis and half of field in front of him in span of 2 laps. He is talent that makes likes of Hamilton, Ric and Vettel scared. Reminds me of Lewis in his rookie year, he is just that good, if not better then anyone I've seen at that age.
It’s always risk vs reward. Hamilton was careful at the start. He knows he is battling for the championship, Bahrain being a track where overtaking would be easy. There was no point in trying to overtake the entire field within the first 4 corners. Arguably, Max was in a sinilar position, in a car that would easily finish in the top 6 even if he hadnt been that aggressive early on.

Similarly, Alonso was quite aggressive too, but again, being aggressive in a car that is in the midfield is a bit something else. Less to lose, more to gain.

I think Hamilton was great in the first few laps, showing just the right mix between aggressive but careful. He lost the place against Max, but i am pretty confident he would have gotten by the RedBull at a later stage of the race, if not on one of the straights. At the end of the day, Hamilton finished 3rd when perhaps 4th was the best he could have hoped for. That’s a big win. As it is, he is only trailing the championship lead by 17 points, when it could be more.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

NathanOlder

Exactly what I was thinking. Lewis has had 2 big chunks of bad luck in 2 races. And he's 2nd in the standings with 2 podiums.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

GPR-A duplicate2

langedweil wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 17:15
dans79 wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 16:37
Then it’s at least exactly the same divebomb as Lewis makes little later on when passing Hulk and the 2 others (maybe even more extreme), where Lewis only lives to tell the tale because Hulk knows he lost the corner and backs out of that squable.
Are you calling this a divebomb? Not sure who would agree with you.

This fits your definition! Where one does a dive bomb move and other backs off!
Last edited by GPR-A duplicate2 on 10 Apr 2018, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Still can't figure out what Hulk and Ocon were trying to do :D
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie