McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mwillems

Re: McLaren MCL38

Unsuprisingly, we are running a very loaded wing. Still with the winglets however so the team are still prepared for that tradeoff between pure downforce and drag. Comparing it to Monaco, The V in the middle of the DRS flap is larger, for instance, along with some curvature on the outer side of the DRS flap compared to Monaco's straight as a ruler leading edge of the DRS flap. This allows the DRS flap to drop a little lower and in theory improve DRS efficiency, except that the main plane is still so large I'm not sure it will. An interesting configuration to try and get downforce and efficiency and balance against DRS requirements at a track with a pretty epic DRS Zone.

Monaco, ignore the purple arrow!

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

michl420
michl420

This rear wing has a flap which leading edge curves down on the end (outer 5 cm) now. Similar to the version of mercedes has. Is the benefit more outwash from the under side of the wing or whats the benefit?

mwillems

michl420 wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 14:53
This rear wing has a flap which leading edge curves down on the end (outer 5 cm) now. Similar to the version of mercedes has. Is the benefit more outwash from the under side of the wing or whats the benefit?
If you mean the DRS Flap leading edge(top flap), then it will be loading the rear wing more I believe. Because of this configuration, when DRS is open, the main plane is still pretty loaded, which I suspect is in part down to the fact that the biggest DRS zone starts on a curve which still requires some downforce. As I mentioned, it is interesting because of the way the Main Plane is huge and the DRS flap overlap, but I do suspect that this is to do with the configuration of the DRS "Straight", which is not straight.

You'll often see some DRS Flaps being larger and the main plane smaller to reduce drag under DRS conditions, but the DRS flap is simply larger for load purposes, and the main plan large enough that it produces enough downforce/extracts enough air from the diffuser when the DRS is engaged, something that isn't usually a consideration on a proper "straight"

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Upgrades in Zaandvoort.

mwillems

Two wings have been brought to Zandvoort. This is courtesy of Amus

This appears to be a lower DF configuration than the new wing and lower DF than what was used at Monaco.

Edit: I see Vanja had posted this pictuire already, although I don't think this is the new wing, is it? I think it's the Very High downforce wing I posted from Fabrega that is new.

Last edited by mwillems on 23 Aug 2024, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

michl420
michl420

mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 15:06
michl420 wrote:
If you mean the DRS Flap leading edge(top flap), then it will be loading the rear wing more I believe. Because of this configuration, when DRS is open, the main plane is still pretty loaded, which I suspect is in part down to the fact that the biggest DRS zone starts on a curve which still requires some downforce. As I mentioned, it is interesting because of the way the Main Plane is huge and the DRS flap overlap, but I do suspect that this is to do with the configuration of the DRS "Straight", which is not straight.

You'll often see some DRS Flaps being larger and the main plane smaller to reduce drag under DRS conditions, but the DRS flap is simply larger for load purposes, and the main plan large enough that it produces enough downforce/extracts enough air from the diffuser when the DRS is engaged, something that isn't usually a consideration on a proper "straight"
I mean actually that part of the flap that stays when the DRS is open (not the main plane). I do not think someone cares about downforce when DRS is open, the only interest is cutting drag. And maybe that´s the reason for this design, that this rounded "edge" reduces inducted drag also/mostly when DRS is open?
I mean that difference between the mclaren/mercedes version and red bull version.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GVlAKtVXEAA ... name=large

Lucky
Lucky

Emag
Emag

First look at the new floor edge

CjC
CjC

Emag wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 11:01
https://i.ibb.co/nfRddPh/IMG-6010.jpg

First look at the new floor edge
First look, looks like they have gone a different way than Red Bull, Merc and now Williams with the double stacked winglet at the front on the floor edge?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 10:52
Two wings have been brought to Zandvoort. This is courtesy of Amus

This appears to be a lower DF configuration than the new wing and lower DF than what was used at Monaco.

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/M ... 134820.jpg
Why is this rated negatively instead of an actual reply? It is a picture posted by Amus of the Zandvoort wing posted on the 22.08.24? It's clearly different.

Edit: Ahh, I missed that Vanja had posted the pic, but still, not worthy of a downvote, this seems a bit childish.

-Bandit

mwillems

michl420 wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 10:54
mwillems wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 15:06
michl420 wrote:

I mean actually that part of the flap that stays when the DRS is open (not the main plane). I do not think someone cares about downforce when DRS is open, the only interest is cutting drag. And maybe that´s the reason for this design, that this rounded "edge" reduces inducted drag also/mostly when DRS is open?
I mean that difference between the mclaren/mercedes version and red bull version.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GVlAKtVXEAA ... name=large
Because the DRS Zone opens before the start of the final high speed corner (Turn 14), I think at Zandvoort it may be a consideration that the Diffuser is having enough air extracted and the rear wing producing enough downforce so that exiting onto the straight isn't an issue. The last corner that leads to the straight is very much rear dependant. Would you get enough downforce and have a stable enough rear if the main plane was smaller in that DRS Zone?

Back to why, I can only think they are trying to efficiently get more load onto the wing when closed, when open, do you mean DRS flap will form a horizontal spoon shape like the main plane when the DRS is open? It would be more efficient to be a flatter profile, surely? I thought the spoon shape was an efficient means of creating downforce, if that is indeed what you refer to.

-Bandit

SSJ4
SSJ4

f1rules
f1rules

I think this is the new brake inlet design

And floor edge

You can see how much clear space they freed up under the inlet, before they tried to free up space above
and since this is landos car, it should be the new high df rw also on the picture

Luscion
Luscion

https://x.com/AlbertFabrega/status/1826953918326219233
New McLaren floor with smaller edge wing support brackets

Emag
Emag

Luscion wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 14:06
https://x.com/AlbertFabrega/status/1826953918326219233
New McLaren floor with smaller edge wing support brackets
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GVqk5wKXkAA ... name=large
That thing is almost floating. Surely it’s more flimsy and it would flex down under high load?