2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Don't know how people are blaming Lando for this. Also he had a good start, just was boxed by Lewis

mwillems

I think the softs were taking risks, to be honest. As was leaving out Oscar, it was a massive risk for each call. All or nothing, if it works out then we are Golden kind of risk. Except the odds are against you. I think they just need to calculate the risk reward better, whichever way that ends up, play the right odds to maximise points. I feel like the whole team is way to focussed on the win, and not each doing the best job they can.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:17
Piastri gained 10 seconds on Lando in that lash stint.
For me Lando should have won the race by 5+ seconds
But Lando had checked out after Max got past. What did he pull on Lewis or Max?

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:23
I think the softs were taking risks, to be honest. As was leaving out Oscar, it was a massive risk for each call. All or nothing, if it works out then we are Golden kind of risk. Except the odds are against you. I think they just need to calculate the risk reward better, whichever way that ends up, play the right odds to maximise points. I feel like the whole team is way to focussed on the win, and not each doing the best job they can.
It's not a risk, it's a scare for decision-making, which they pass on to the pilots.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:14
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:10
mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:07

With the time he lost behind Max, he could have been several seconds ahead, which would have meant he would have been in front of Hamilton even with the crazy strategy calls. Yes, he did great later, especially in the changeable conditions, but like the pit wall, you have to be on it for the whole race.
When he got passed Max, he was what 3 seconds behind Lewis. If earlier, it would have dependent on getting past both of them, which was not a given.
I thought it was more, but it was at least the same gap as there was the Hamilton when we rejoined on Softs. Let's park this until we can see what the gap was.
I tried to go back, but doesn't go that far. I'm sure it was around 3seconds, maybe 3.5.

Darth-Piekus

Now that's everything is done.

Positives is that they got 8 more points and the difference is 78 from Red Bull. They also got in breathing range of Ferrari and gained more points than Mercedes.
Negatives is that they screwed both drivers by not double stacking them when the team has one of the fastest pit stops. They despite what data saying that the fresh medium would be better than a used soft they went for the used soft. What the hell Mclaren? Data never lies.

Next we go to Hungaroring and the team should be able to be top also there. Can we do it right for just one single race and get the maximum points of an 1-2? Also what the hell is going on with those upgrades? Mercedes is upgrading like crazy and has reached the top.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Tomsky wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:25
mwillems wrote:
It's not a risk, it's a scare for decision-making, which they pass on to the pilots.
As shown its not passed on, but is discussed to take into account their views.

I hears RB say to Max great decision to go on inters, so was thar his call? Is it then their fault for listening. Or just blame when it goes wrong?

Dimond
Dimond

Dafnalina wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:22
Don't know how people are blaming Lando for this. Also he had a good start, just was boxed by Lewis
Literally "Hey Lando, choose soft if you want to win the race or medium if you want to lose"

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:25
mwillems wrote:

Team were very much taking risks, they made the final call for softs, Lando followed their advice. He said he didn't mind which and the team made the call.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Jul 2024, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Emag wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 17:45
It's crazy really. Double stacking Oscar and putting mediums on both cars at the end and this is an easy 1-2.

Take a goddamn random person from the grandstand and let him make the strategy and this team walks away with a 1-2 today.
Emag, let's make a deal. :) I take back my words. I agree, this is Lando's worst year in terms of the number of mistakes that deprived him of victory. I consider this argument closed.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:38
Emag wrote:
It's crazy really. Double stacking Oscar and putting mediums on both cars at the end and this is an easy 1-2.

Take a goddamn random person from the grandstand and let him make the strategy and this team walks away with a 1-2 today.
Emag, let's make a deal. :) I take back my words. I agree, this is Lando's worst year in terms of the number of mistakes that deprived him of victory. I consider this argument closed.
Ahahahaha

Such a dry British remark, Bravo 🤣🤣🤣

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

McLaren's strategists are in 10th place out of 10. This is a real shame.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:40
LionsHeart wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:38
Emag wrote:

Ahahahaha

Such a dry British remark, Bravo 🤣🤣🤣
Let it be so. If it will somehow mentally help the team in the future, then let it be so.

I will consider this as karma towards me. :D

Dimond
Dimond

Lucky wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:43
McLaren's strategists are in 10th place out of 10. This is a real shame.
I believe we're gonna live with this for the rest of the year at least. Hiring a proper strategist takes time

Ben1980
Ben1980

Dimond wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:36
Dafnalina wrote:
07 Jul 2024, 18:22
Literally "Hey Lando, choose soft if you want to win the race or medium if you want to lose"
It was all pretty much a pit call for softs, not sure the blame is on Lando for not overruling.

Maybe it was on Lando to pit one lap later at the end, but it's hard being the leader at that point.