2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 20:32
Albert says its from simulator times so not sure what his source of that is
I think F1/F1TV has some source - maybe their own simulator or maybe their guesses.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 04:30
Dafnalina wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 04:10
Is there any chance these upgrades will hinder our strenght in high speed corners? Wouldn't that be something lol. With the old package, I'd say Suzuka and Qatar were the closest we'd get to a win, and podium contenders for sure. With the new one, I guess we'll see during the practice sessions. Too bad red bull will be on top of the game once more.
McLaren was not the fastest in Singapore qualifying in fast corners.
https://sun9-14.userapi.com/impg/qqC29f ... type=album
This could be setup specific, or not..
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 08:53
Macklaren wrote:
I think F1/F1TV has some source - maybe their own simulator or maybe their guesses.
Is it AWS related, perhaps?

-Bandit

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 19:57
mwillems wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 19:54
Macklaren wrote:
19 Sep 2023, 19:15
It is interesting that the teams' simulations show McLaren in third place behind RBR and Ferrari. I would be surprised if we did not do better than that...
(I mean at Suzuka)
Do you have anything you can post around these simulations?
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 6-KlQ&s=19

EDIT: obv these simulations were VERY wrong in Singapore
Just RB I think, others were OK, or in fact spot on, Ferrari, Mclaren, Mercedes!

Because I am being a bit lazy and you might have access to them quicker, do you have links to the other sims so we can compare them to results and get an idea of their accuracy?

Obviously there will be differences, but it will be interesting to get an idea of how useful they are.

I'd not seen Fabrega posting these before for some reason.

-Bandit

mwillems

Dafnalina wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 04:10
Is there any chance these upgrades will hinder our strenght in high speed corners? Wouldn't that be something lol. With the old package, I'd say Suzuka and Qatar were the closest we'd get to a win, and podium contenders for sure. With the new one, I guess we'll see during the practice sessions. Too bad red bull will be on top of the game once more.
Yeah it is totally possible for an upgrade to improve some areas and retard others. I'd expect an overall improvement though and personally I don't think it will have impacted negatively the high speed corners, I'm actually thinking it will have some improvement as we appear to be getting more air to the rear and handling the tyre wake a bit differently. More air to the rear will help with the expansion around the diffuser and overall grip.

My gut feeling is this tyre wake is what will help with low speed. The sidepods are wider at the front and similar in their middle and I think this is designed to deal more with the lower speed wake, or to be more aggressive with the wake earlier, collect it to keep it away from the rear tyre but still maintaining the pod dimensions in the middle to catch a more aggressive wake, clean it up and protect the floor. But I'm doing armchair aero any may be totally wrong. but I think we weren't dealing well with the wake at low speeds and with the way the tyres behaved at those speeds. A different issue to high energy entrances to low speed corners though, which will likely persist,

But the Singapore speeds could be setup specific. it is why when folks are talking about RB and the performance changes among teams with Ferrari getting pacey again I say It's unique, wait for the next few races to see how it pans out.

Maybe Ferrari are faster, maybe it is Singapore. Maybe RB have lost a little performance, a bit more performance or none. It's too hard to tell at this point. There's rumours of trickery on the floor to extract extra grip but it is all heresay.

But you'd think or hope that Ferrari, Merc, RB and Mclaren might well be fighting with each other in Q. And you'd think that even with upgrades Ferrari might still drop back in the race as their tyres get chewed up, but maybe that his improved. Only a couple of days to find out but there is every indication this could be tight and hard fought at the front.
Last edited by mwillems on 20 Sep 2023, 11:36, edited 4 times in total.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 09:03
FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 08:53
Macklaren wrote:
Is it AWS related, perhaps?
Perhaps. I really don't know but I did notice they mentioned their "sims" during one of the broadcasts. Not sure which one. Maybe Sam Collins.

Mabye it is just some team feeding them info or someone really does some analysis I have no idea. Fabrega does stuff for F1TV so I guess that is the same "sim".

eurwynf1
eurwynf1

I think it was the betting gods that screwed us over last weekend, I will not bet on McLaren ever again 🤣 On a serious note do we know what tyres pirelli are bringing compared to Silverstone, if we have the speed maybe tyre deg will be our downfall.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Piastri extends to 2026. Good job team, good job Piastri.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 12:03

Massive!
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 12:03

Excellent.

CjC
CjC

Mwillems will be doing backward summersaults for days🤣🤣

Great news👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 12:25

Great news👍🏻
I quite like that the team locks in the drivers "early". Lando has a contract to 2025, Piastri now to 2026. They can focus on the work and not worry about driver market.

Stig14
Stig14

I was talking to the other half about this exact topic and mentioned I'd like to see them extend Oscar's contract for a few years soon to avoid the risk of him being pinched. Fantastic news - he's shown himself to be a fast, reliable pair of hands and I look forward to him pushing Lando and the team further in the coming years! McLaren doing a good job on and off track at the moment

BMMR61

Great news about Oscar, the rookie of the year, and the rookie of the decade so far - what a great youngster! What we need to take stock of also is that it is a huge vote of confidence by Oscar and his management to stake his future beyond next year in McLaren. Mark Webber is smart enough to know that his young guy is already high value in the F1 driver stakes and could easily be in the picture for a drive at Red Bull the way his career is accelerating. Any ideas what his salary may be worth? :D

mwillems

CjC wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 12:25

Great news👍🏻
Ahahaha!

It made total sense at this point that they would , I just expected it in the break!

Right now, f*ck him. Give him the worst equipment and make him always walk 1m behind lando with his head down like a b*tch.

-Bandit