Red Bull RB9 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
shelly
shelly

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

stefan_ wrote:
shelly wrote:
stefan_ wrote:Bahrain 2013 - Friday (19.04.2013)

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/191/rrrrvo.jpg
Is redbull getting ready for DRD? the slit in the engine cover seems consistent with a leaving the space for a periscope pipe.
From what I remember, RB doesn't have a special engine cover like Lotus, their pipe comes something like this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEROKijCcAEgIir.jpg:large
(picture taken at the 2nd Barcelona pre season test)
I do not think that what is shown in the picture is a DRD: it closely resembles a testing device that was used by redbull in winter 2012. Check my posts from march 1 2013 to see the comparison.
I could be wrong, but it seems strange to me that nobody spotted the close resemblanece and identified it as drd. We will see if redbull races it what it will look like
twitter: @armchair_aero

Pilatus

Rikhart wrote:It´s pissing me off that I cant find any pictures of the under nose turning vanes with holes in them... and I cant even find fp2 to download, so I can screenshot it!

There were no holes.
Just carbon fibers pattern and coloration.
https://imageshack.us/a/img687/5553/78272120.jpg

PS -On a first glance, and i though that they were perforated, but no.

Forza

F1 Bahrain GP - Saturday - 20/04/13

infy
infy

Neno wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Lovely as all the new bits are, they are pointless if you are stopping once more than those challenging for wins.
I dont know why they produce new bits, which are pointless because they already have superior downforce :roll: maybe they should work on how to understand tires instead :?
Maybe because the guys who are experts in aerodynamics cant upgrade the suspension.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Forza wrote:F1 Bahrain GP - Saturday - 20/04/13

http://imgur.com/mByXBpw.jpg
Front left in the air. And this even without hitting the kerb... It looks like they ran a very soft torsion bar (at the rear) at least at Webbers car. I wonder if this is fast or if they changed it for the Q
Last edited by McMrocks on 20 Apr 2013, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

Pierce89

Neno wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Lovely as all the new bits are, they are pointless if you are stopping once more than those challenging for wins.
I dont know why they produce new bits, which are pointless because they already have superior downforce :roll: maybe they should work on how to understand tires instead :?
I'm not sure they do have the down force advantage people claim. If they had more DF than everyone else, they should be sitting on pole. I'm starting to believe their excess tire wear just comes from a lack tire understanding. Maybe they're capable of more DF than other cars, but they don't seem to be running that way. Their poles in the wet and cold might have come from the fact that they abuse the tires(heating them up) rather than any DF advantage.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

henra
henra

Pierce89 wrote:I'm not sure they do have the down force advantage people claim.
By Video comparison of Apex speeds they were sometimes 10-15 km/h faster in medium to fast corners than the other cars.
This is at least an indication that they might have more DF than the others. This is compounded by a rather flat Rear Wing. With the regulations being what they are you wouldn't do this unless you have more DF than makes sense due to Top speed and tyres.
If they had more DF than everyone else, they should be sitting on pole.
No, that could simply be because:
I'm starting to believe their excess tire wear just comes from a lack tire understanding.
Agreed.
Last edited by henra on 20 Apr 2013, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Pierce89 wrote:
Neno wrote:
I'm not sure they do have the down force advantage people claim. If they had more DF than everyone else, they should be sitting on pole. I'm starting to believe their excess tire wear just comes from a lack tire understanding. Maybe they're capable of more DF than other cars, but they don't seem to be running that way. Their poles in the wet and cold might have come from the fact that they abuse the tires(heating them up) rather than any DF advantage.
They could be on pole here quite easily (and probably China too) but to get there would take so much life out of the tyre as to make it pointless. Who cares about starting on pole if you have no race pace.

The fact that Hembery says they can easily change the tyres and watch one team run away with races tallies with reports from journalists expecting RB to be cleaning up once (if?) they get the tyres working.

CottrellGP
CottrellGP

Pierce89 wrote:
Neno wrote:
They must have a lot of DF other wise they wouldn't run that mini rear wing? and they cant understand the tyres :P
Dan Cottrell

Master Of Innovation!

Mr.G

Speaking about flat RW on RB9, can this be right? I was wondering if they have so much rake in comparison with others even the RW looks much more flat the AoA is probably a little bit higher like it will be on other team with similar setup.

Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

wesley123
wesley123

The rake difference(if that is even there) isnt that much that it makes up for huge degrees of AoA
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

Mr.G wrote:Speaking about flat RW on RB9, can this be right?....
The RB wing looks flatter (less camber) even with the rake.

Pierce89

CottrellGP wrote:
Pierce89 wrote: I'm not sure they do have the down force advantage people claim. If they had more DF than everyone else, they should be sitting on pole. I'm starting to believe their excess tire wear just comes from a lack tire understanding. Maybe they're capable of more DF than other cars, but they don't seem to be running that way. Their poles in the wet and cold might have come from the fact that they abuse the tires(heating them up) rather than any DF advantage.
They must have a lot of DF other wise they wouldn't run that mini rear wing? and they cant understand the tyres :P
Regardless what people here say about Gary Anderson, he's a legitimate tech director from the "aero era" and he's at the track and he says RB were trying to add DF at China.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

tpe
tpe

I need to understand something. From the latest series of photos, it appears that RB is the only team that manage their exhausts not to pointing towards the rear tyres, but between the tyres and the diffuser. How could that be the case? Am I mistaken? I mean that the rules force teams to point the exhausts at a very specific angle.

turbof1

The red bull utilises much more bodywork to guide the exhaust plume, which keeps it rather undisturbed from airflow other then the downwash.. Other teams first use a semi-coanda bodywork and then let the plume run free from the bodywork. Because air coming from the sides pushes the plume inwards, they have to compensate this by angling the exhaust a bit outward.
#AeroFrodo