Williams FW35 Renault

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Re: Williams FW35 Renault

Looks like they put a strut bar over the cockpit as well.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

trinidefender
trinidefender

I think one of the reasons that Williams never got the coanda exhaust concept to work properly is closer to ther front of the sidepods. If you look at the other teams, they are pretty much all running some sort of device to keep the airflow attached to the top of the sidepods.some run vertical vortex generators, like McLaren. Some horizontal like mercedes. Some have a sort of wing attaching the barge board on the side of the side-pods which pushes airflow down. Some use a combination of all three like RedBull. Williams is one of, if not the only team which doesn't.

Yurasyk
Yurasyk

trinidefender wrote:Williams is one of, if not the only team which doesn't.
Are you sure? Just look at photos before Abu Dhabi Grand-Prix.

Matt Somers
Matt Somers

Owen.C93 wrote:Looks like they put a strut bar over the cockpit as well.
The original picture doesn't show that bar Owen, somehow whilst I was editing it I think a white section from the Engine Cover got dragged down the chassis :S
Catch me on Twitter https://twitter.com/SomersF1 or the blog http://www.SomersF1.co.uk
I tweet tech images for Sutton Images

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Matt Somers wrote:
Owen.C93 wrote:Looks like they put a strut bar over the cockpit as well.
The original picture doesn't show that bar Owen, somehow whilst I was editing it I think a white section from the Engine Cover got dragged down the chassis :S
Yeah I was kidding :P

oT v1
oT v1

Any guesses to what the exhaust gasses are doing now? are they more focused on following the bodywork over the whole of the diffuser or just going wild everywhere?
The Power of Dreams

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

oT v1 wrote:Any guesses to what the exhaust gasses are doing now? are they more focused on following the bodywork over the whole of the diffuser or just going wild everywhere?
Rear wing like the old days.

roadie

I'd disagree... I believe the gases will still be dragged down to the floor. I remember Malaysia last year when MALs engine blew. He carried on back to the pits with smoke coming from the exhaust, and the plume was being dragged down to to the gap between the RWEP and tyre.

However it's difficult to know for sure!
Last edited by roadie on 09 Nov 2013, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach
Sevach

Since the brake ducts are designed to guide the air to this area this is not impossible.

trinidefender
trinidefender

roadie wrote:I'd disagree... I believe the gases will still be dragged down to the floor. I remember Malaysia last year when MALs engine blew. He carried on back to the pits with some coming from the exhaust, and the plume was being dragged down to to the gap between the RWEP and tyre.

They removed their coanda set-up so the exhausts look like they are flowing onto the rear wing

roadie

Yeah that is what it looks like, but the flow from the exhaust will still be affected by the airflow following the shape and angle of the sidepods.

Seamus
Seamus

roadie wrote:I'd disagree... I believe the gases will still be dragged down to the floor. I remember Malaysia last year when MALs engine blew. He carried on back to the pits with smoke coming from the exhaust, and the plume was being dragged down to to the gap between the RWEP and tyre.

True.

trinidefender
trinidefender

There they had an engine problem and the engine went into (or was being driven like it was in) limp mode. Therefore there is very low mass flow coming through the engine and out the exhaust. Also this flow is at a very low velocity. This means that the airflow around the car will affect the exhaust much more. Therefore at those sorts of speeds at full throttle inside the powerband, so to speak, the exhaust plume will straighten out much higher. Probably above the beam wing and just hitting the top brake duct.

SectorOne

trinidefender wrote:Also this flow is at a very low velocity. This means that the airflow around the car will affect the exhaust much more.
Surely the wind around the car will affect the exhaust plume much less? It´s 100km/h or so if he´s on the pit limiter.

At 250km/h there´s a tremendous airspeed flowing right over the exhaust exit.
I think that exhaust layout blows the center of the beamwing at higher speeds and at lower speeds it sort of does spreads out irregularly because there´s not much air directing the plume.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

trinidefender
trinidefender

SectorOne wrote:
trinidefender wrote:Also this flow is at a very low velocity. This means that the airflow around the car will affect the exhaust much more.
Surely the wind around the car will affect the exhaust plume much less? It´s 100km/h or so if he´s on the pit limiter.

At 250km/h there´s a tremendous airspeed flowing right over the exhaust exit.
I think that exhaust layout blows the center of the beamwing at higher speeds and at lower speeds it sort of does spreads out irregularly because there´s not much air directing the plume.
What I mean by the airflow will affect the exhaust flow more is for both scenarios being at the same speed. The exhaust gas on a properly working engine at 100% throttle within the 'powerband' will have an exhaust flow with a lot more momentum in it as a result of a larger mass flow and that mass moving at a higher speed. Remember mass * velocity = momentum. As a result of this extra momentum the exhaust plume will be less affected by the airflow hitting it. Remember though, I was and am referring to two cars running at equal velocity in the same conditions.

This is just for my explanation on why the exhaust plume was so low in the picture.