Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

Good news for MS, probably a demand on his part, one can only hope that the two of them gets a decent car to work with.

I seem to recall Villeneuve brought some CART practices on how to set up the car, corner by corner rather that front to rear?

Regarding the Daimler environment, incidentally, that typically affects Daimler empoyees only, not the kinds of Newey and Ress.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

raymondu999

I always thought Jock never liked Michael as they had a bitter few rivalries over the years. Guess I was wrong
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

JohnsonsEvilTwin

So any new as to what Shovlin will be doing?

Looking at Clears' repertoire, it seems he has the credentials. Would love to be a fly on the wall when Schuey and Clear have the obligatory driver/engineer chat!
Was Clear not vociferous in his criticism of Schumacher in Jerez 97? Either way they both seem happy enough with this situation.
More could have been done.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

Shovlin was promoted to head of trackengineering this winter
Mark Slade was coming in as Schumachers Race engineer (he was Race enginbeer to Petrov last year).
Tony Ross engineering Rosbergs corner -at the start of the season he still had Clear as Ross was still on gardening leave (?) and at one race (?) he had both of them Ross and Clear and was raving on RTL interview how well that felt to have two brilliant guys engineering his car.
Clear was promoted to a not trackside position in Brackley ...

Intriguingly Clear was expected to engineer Schumacher not Rosberg originally in late 2009/early 2010.Somehow this was changed without further comment.

As I understand the reasons for the switch is private issues for Mark Slade ,he cannot travel as much anymore.

Jock Clear is INTERIMS Performance Engineer to Michael till end of the season. Peter Bonnington replaces Mark Slade as Michaels Race Engineer with immediate effect.He was
until now Assistant Race engineer to Mark Slade.
That´s Clear speaking out after Singapore last year:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n65KVKG-NzY[/youtube]

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/forme ... slade.html

raymondu999

I don't understand this to be honest. Spade was Hakkinen's engineer at McLaren, was he not?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

marcush.
marcush.

Rosberg confirming increasing input from Stuttgart side on technical items:

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 82612.html

so by the looks of things ....

Mark Slade was Hakkinens Race engineer and went to Renault .From there he went To MGP..

Pierce89

Re: Mercedes GP W02

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:You are being unfair on the team Marcush.

The car was born out of a team adhering to the RRA. Im not saying that with 150 more staff they'd be beating Red Bull.
But i'm saying they'd be closer and certain mistakes may have been averted, particularly with the the technical direction afforded by a decent technical director.
I'd say it was born of a team that misinterpreted the RRA, not adhered to. If Macca Red Bull and Ferrari weren't adhering to the RRA, why do they each have 550 rather than 700+ like they used to.
I just don't like the fact that you imply Merc does it right while others cheat, when the fact is Merc gets it wrong while others got it right.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

marcush.
marcush.

I have to say ,Mercedes recruiting 100 staff and still claiming to respect RRA it seems impossible they had been naively tried to keep up with the established teams with less people than allowed.
I understand the rra does make an allowance for external input -workers on lease ,subcontracting when you do not use up the max alocation of head count ...but it seems odd how they sell it now.

dren

That was expected, the input from Mercedes. The team received similar input from Honda, probably too much in terms of management though. Hopefully the team receives much needed input on tire modeling.
Honda!

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Im sorry you dont like it.

Certain restrictions were put in place, like team size.
Unless you outsourced less in which case you could incorporate higher numbers.This was to circumvent Mad Max plan of 40 million budgets and en masse lay offs.

There is no concrete evidence to suggest what Brawn is saying is right. What Im saying here is I dont think any of the teams are to blame, or wether the "others cheat" as you put.

My point here is the wording of the RRA is lax, and that some read into it far more than others.
When it comes to this soprt of thing it should be far more strongly worded.

We hear it being a "glide path" of regression. Well Mercedes have made a mockery of that by going on a recruitment drive, havent they?

So naturally you have them spending more.

Red Bull allegedly ran very close to their 2009 budget in 2010, a few quid short of matching it.
The proposed reductions of the RRA havent had the desired effect as teams are still spending now what they did in 2010.

My point is why have an initiative if its not going to be uniformly implemented.

Mercedes intentions of running 450 staff was inline with the RRA. Do you seem them moaning about them having adhered to it and others not so literally?
Nope.

So despite what you may think I think, I feel it is the FIA's job to write better rules regarding the governance of finances rather than me thinking its the "others that cheat".

Hope that clears it up for you.
David Purley

marcush.
marcush.

I don´t think tools for roadcar development have much on offer for a grandprix weekend ?

xpensive
xpensive

According to Google translate;

Besides the effort to expand the team, Rosberg has identified yet another positive development within the racing team, "Mercedes has also strengthened its links with the team to provide more input." Given the successful Formula 1 history of the brand with the star he was very optimistic that we'll go but sooner or later for race wins.

I'm not as convinced as Rosberg that, "Mercedes has also strengthened its links with the team to provide more input", is necessarily good news, it seems more like confirming my earlier suspicions that Daimler has been directly involved from the word go?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

munudeges
munudeges

Oh, not that RRA nonsense again............. How many inferior cars are Mercedes going to produce that were 'born out of the RRA'?

Should we be bothered that MHPE employs close to five hundred people - much more than any other engine manufacturer?

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Nonsense?

It's quite sensical actually, why bother employing another 100 staff if it was " nonsense".
You wouldn't.

Unless you know more than Brawn, Bell or mercedes? In which case I'm sure they love to hear it.
David Purley

munudeges
munudeges

I don't see what the point of moving people around is. They were supposed to have done that at the start of this season and it made no difference it seems.

I really can't fathom why Mercedes 'strengthening its links' would make anything different. Should they not already be as strong as they can be? It's no surprise that there are rumours of Schumacher getting out and doing DTM, particularly after what he hinted at what his thoughts were in an earlier article. I have a bit more respect for the guy and he's impressively stayed quite quiet.