2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

chasefreak wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 09:31
Hey all.
I have been keeping a close eye on this thread - being a die hard McLaren fan.

We keep comparing our self to last year and I feel that is wrong. We have moved past that and now have a car that can win us races. Evidence based on the last few races.
I personally see false in strategy. The team really needs to be quick on thinking and executing. God dammit I’m watching the race on TV and can call the exact timing on pits and tyre and the team with all sorts of data cannot achieve this much. It’s depressing
Yeah, I have the same.

CjC
CjC

No matter what you hear or read it’s the same astonishment that they didn’t use the medium in the last stint.

https://www.racefans.net/2024/07/07/ana ... -baffling/

Like Horner said, Red Bull put the hard on because it was the best tyre for them, they didn’t care what anyone else put on.

Another thought as well, they obviously saved 2 sets of medium for the race- that must have been an overall strategy decision made on Friday, why you wouldn’t reap the benefits of your clever thinking is only something McLaren can explain.

I feel this truck up has the potential to go down in history along with Kimi Raikkonen on extreme tyres on a dry track towards the end of the 2009 Malaysian Grand Prix and George Russell’s is it raining/ sweat on the visor faux pax :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

LionsHeart wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 09:43
chasefreak wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 09:31
Hey all.
I have been keeping a close eye on this thread - being a die hard McLaren fan.

We keep comparing our self to last year and I feel that is wrong. We have moved past that and now have a car that can win us races. Evidence based on the last few races.
I personally see false in strategy. The team really needs to be quick on thinking and executing. God dammit I’m watching the race on TV and can call the exact timing on pits and tyre and the team with all sorts of data cannot achieve this much. It’s depressing
Yeah, I have the same.

Same... :?

chasefreak
chasefreak

Oscar was so confident that he only wanted mediums. Kudos to that lad. If it wasn’t for sainz late pit stop , he had the fastest lap. Norris needs to get a bit matured. But I guess these failures will lead him on that path

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

chasefreak wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 14:43
Oscar was so confident that he only wanted mediums. Kudos to that lad. If it wasn’t for sainz late pit stop , he had the fastest lap. Norris needs to get a bit matured. But I guess these failures will lead him on that path
I blame Will Joseph and the strat team here for the tyre choice. They should have not worded to Lando the way they did. It’s amateur hour to me.

But to me it’s the catalogue of little errors that strike me. It needs improving.
Double stack/slow stops/starts/tyre strat/overall strat. All of this contributes to the end result especially with cars this close in performance

SiLo

chasefreak wrote:
Piastri was quick in the last stint, but his pace was comparable to Verstappen, so I'm not sure it would have been enough to get Hamilton?
Felipe Baby!

mclaren111

O'Ward Won in Indycar... :D :D

Macklaren
Macklaren

I really think everyone is Monday morning quarterbacking this one. While mistakes were made yesterday, it was far from clear what the optimal strategy was given the rapidly changing conditions. Also what killed the race is Lando's bad last stop (which was his fault though this happens in the wet) and likely the lack of front wing adjustment which killed the Softs.

Hopefully, all these disappointments are making Lando and the team tougher and more experienced. Stella's interview this morning was a great read

bauc

SiLo wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 15:09
chasefreak wrote:
Piastri was quick in the last stint, but his pace was comparable to Verstappen, so I'm not sure it would have been enough to get Hamilton?
It would have been, as we were only 3 seconds behind (with a slow pit stop) and we had 12 laps to go. VER was catching both by 0.6 sec per lap, but once he passed NOR he settled for 2nd as NOR is his biggest competitor for the title and wanted to avoid potential last lap drama with HAM at his home grand prix.

On to the next one, I hope we will learn from our mistake's, we could have won 3-4 races by now this season and not only 1 :(
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

Macklaren wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 15:44
I really think everyone is Monday morning quarterbacking this one. While mistakes were made yesterday, it was far from clear what the optimal strategy was given the rapidly changing conditions. Also what killed the race is Lando's bad last stop (which was his fault though this happens in the wet) and likely the lack of front wing adjustment which killed the Softs.

Hopefully, all these disappointments are making Lando and the team tougher and more experienced. Stella's interview this morning was a great read
Please can you share the interview?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

SiLo wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 15:09
chasefreak wrote:
Piastri was on average 3.5 tenths a lap faster than Ham over the 13 laps.

I think it was well within reach with mediums, a full battery and DRS.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

hudnut
hudnut

Macklaren wrote:
I really think everyone is Monday morning quarterbacking this one.
Don't agree. I think everyone yelled about the wrong tyre choice for Norris and wrong keeping Piastri out an extra lap pretty much straight away.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I think Lando will look back at those comments he made in 2020 about whether being in the fastest car means its easy to win and "anybody can do it", with a new outlook.

I think he probably already is by the sounds of it.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

CjC wrote:
08 Jul 2024, 16:14
Macklaren wrote:

Please can you share the interview?
I posted his interview yesterday. Read it.

venkyhere
venkyhere

Macklaren wrote:

what do you think of the double-stack miss ? Surely that can't be a 'marginal call' like the used S v/s new M tyre drama, was it ? Shafting Piastri's race with an extra inter lap on a dry track, instead of sacrificing 2-3s by making him wait in the pitlane -- that was stupid, because they could see how the laptimes were dropping, every successive lap was 3s slower. then 4s slower as the rain came down. The extra lap Piastri stayed out, he was 8s slower relative to the guys who by then were already on slicks. If a professional race team goofs up and misses that info, while people watching with TV subscription don't, it's inexcusable. How much time loss did they guesstimate about that extra Piastri lap ? 2s ? Because the previous laps were like +3, +4 seconds.

McLaren deserve every bit of criticism for f&&&king Piastri over. In yet another race.