2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Emag wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 23:07
Emag wrote:
05 Dec 2021, 22:55
Mediums were the wrong call. No clue why they risked it. Daniel was faster than Ocon in the first half of the race when they had the same tires. Mediums just fell off hard, particularly the rears.

Oh well, Daniel had a good race considering the circumstances. Lando got fu*ked hard though.
He didn’t had any Hard Tires, they had 2 for the event… Used one set during practice, started the race on Hards… He would have to go back to the tires with which he started the race, which were pretty old by the time they decided to change tires… Mediums was the only option at that point
That's just unfortunate then.
It was unlucky, they made the right call not Pitting under the first safety car, but once they had the red flags, they had to make a change since it is a free PitStop and the new set of Mediums was all that was available since two stops after that point was a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mclarensenna

Fantastic result for Ricciardo to finish 5th from 11th. Unlucky also with having to switch to mediums for such a long second stint as if Ric started on mediums then switched to hards he possibly could have finished on the podium. Norris did not really do anything wrong today he was just very unlucky with the safety cars and crashes.

Just 1 more race to go for the year. The last race we see this current generation of cars!
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

This season was extremely good in the sense that Daniel get acclimatised to the team and feedback from him with regards to next years car. Also got 1 year under the belt for working again with Mercedes which bodes well for next year in terms if integration of the Engine and communications/working with Merc HPP. So we they can further streamline that process in terms of feedback from them with regards to integration.

Next year the priority needs to be getting the Wind tunnel up and running along with the Simulator. Since Mclaren have already upgraded to the latest CFD we should not be losing out too much using the Toyota WT in Cologne. for 2022 there is definitely potential to close the gap even more to the front if not get lucky with the regs and come out ahead. The small added WT time from 4th instead of 3rd should help. The issue i see is Merc and RBR have already worked on 2022 prior to the cap, so the question remains how much effort did they put into the 2022 car with this years title battle.

We pulled out of this year in terms of development back in May/June which is extremely good. We may have not obtained 3rd but we have set up ourselves nicely for next year. I would like to see a new article with regards to the WT process as we have not had one in about 4 months.

diffuser

Mclarensenna wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 04:30
Fantastic result for Ricciardo to finish 5th from 11th. Unlucky also with having to switch to mediums for such a long second stint as if Ric started on mediums then switched to hards he possibly could have finished on the podium. Norris did not really do anything wrong today he was just very unlucky with the safety cars and crashes.

Just 1 more race to go for the year. The last race we see this current generation of cars!
You guys with the way you throw around "unlucky".

I'm sure that Norris thought Ricciardo was pretty lucky to have stayed out under the safety car. Think Norris would have taken 4th on Mediums instead of 16th on Hards? Really Ricciardo, like Ocon, didn't do much to deserve their positions. All they did was not pit for fresh tires behind the safety car.

I agree with Norris, if in a race there has been a safety car for 2 or more laps before being red flagged and cars have pitted for new tires under the safety car, the remaining cars should not be allowed to replace tires under safety car conditions. The only exception to that should be for safety reasons.

The reality is Ricciardo, and by extension McLaren, have nobody else to blame. They started the race on Hards, so if they wanted to complete a one stop strategy you need to use the mediums. In other words "ZERO" luck involved in Ricciardo being stuck with New Mediums tires for the rest of the race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

diffuser wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 17:37
Mclarensenna wrote:

I'm sure that Norris thought Ricciardo was pretty lucky to have stayed out under the safety car. Think Norris would have taken 4th on Mediums instead of 16th on Hards? Really Ricciardo, like Ocon, didn't do much to deserve their positions. All they did was not pit for fresh tires behind the safety car.

I agree with Norris, if in a race there has been a safety car for 2 or more laps before being red flagged and cars have pitted for new tires under the safety car, the remaining cars should not be allowed to replace tires under safety car conditions. The only exception to that should be for safety reasons.

The reality is Ricciardo, and by extension McLaren, have nobody else to blame. They started the race on Hards, so if they wanted to complete a one stop strategy you need to use the mediums. In other words "ZERO" luck involved in Ricciardo being stuck with New Mediums tires for the rest of the race.
Actually, the reason to start Daniel on Hards was exactly for that… To take advantage of potential Safety Cars during the first phase of the race… It guaranteed that he could stay on track and gain positions all the way until mid race, except in the event of a Red Flag, where you most probably have to make the tire change.

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 17:58
diffuser wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:

Actually, the reason to start Daniel on Hards was exactly for that… To take advantage of potential Safety Cars during the first phase of the race… It guaranteed that he could stay on track and gain positions all the way until mid race, except in the event of a Red Flag, where you most probably have to make the tire change.
That's a very good point. It enforces my argument that Ricciardo being "stuck" on mediums had anything to do with luck, it was a choice.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

diffuser wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:07
SmallSoldier wrote:
diffuser wrote:

That's a very good point. It enforces my argument that Ricciardo being "stuck" on mediums had anything to do with luck, it was a choice.
Not really choice though, they were unlucky with the 2nd red flag, where they were forced to do the change to medium much earlier than was ideal. If they didn’t do it then, they would loose a lot more changing under racing conditions. I’m pretty sure the plan wasn’t to do 30 laps on the mediums.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

diffuser

Ground Effect wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 20:10
diffuser wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 19:07
SmallSoldier wrote:

Not really choice though, they were unlucky with the 2nd red flag, where they were forced to do the change to medium much earlier than was ideal. If they didn’t do it then, they would loose a lot more changing under racing conditions. I’m pretty sure the plan wasn’t to do 30 laps on the mediums.
I think to get a 2nd red flag at an Ideal time would be lucky and not unlucky that it didn't. In FP2 LeClerc had an accident that turned into a red flag. I think everyone should have been expecting Red Flags. Not sure why so many teams weren't.

I think if you qualify 11th and finish 5th in a race at a track that's hard to pass at, you have to be happy. IMO at some point you need to stop saying you're unlucky, otherwise, why not just say " We were unlucky, If only Hamilton, Max, Bottas and Ocon would have collided we would have finished first". I mean where does it end ? I think in a race without safety cars and red flags, I doubt Daniel would have finished as high as 5th.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Hopefully have some fun in Abu Dhabi which looks a faster circuit than years gone by!

djos

I wondered why Daniel didn't go back onto the hards when he had the chance, turns out he didn't have any left. Darn shame as he could have gotten a podium if he'd been able to go hard-medium-hard.

https://apple.news/AxAvIoC6NRz2YbzbQbRIspg
"In downforce we trust"

diffuser

djos wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 00:41
I wondered why Daniel didn't go back onto the hards when he had the chance, turns out he didn't have any left. Darn shame as he could have gotten a podium if he'd been able to go hard-medium-hard.

https://apple.news/AxAvIoC6NRz2YbzbQbRIspg

He would have had to run mediums or softs at some point. He couldn't finish the race on the hards without having put another type on.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Abu Dhabi special livery!

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 18:20
Abu Dhabi special livery!

Looks cool :D =D>

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Livery presentation:

McG

That's lovely. Rainbow colours really go well with papaya as the main colour it seems.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.