2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisgr
chrisgr

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 17:21

Too much leeway in the rules. It's why this year has been such a mess. Ironically, the ending is fit the year.

I will add that the situation only happened cause Merc played it too conservatively. They should have pitted under the safety car and put softs on too.
I think the rule for the lapped cars during SC is quite clear.

If Mercedes pitted, Verstappen would have stayed on hards till the end. We dont know if Hamilton would have reached him. He would be a lot closer but he would have to try to overtake Verstappen, while having same points at the driver championship. Mercedes could have asked Bottas to crash during SC :twisted:

As a last comment, I am impressed from the power of the new Ferrari engine. We have a lot of work to do during winter.

Darth-Piekus

I am hearing that Mercedes and their lawyers are lodging an appeal over 2 strong cases. There is a possibility that Verstappen might lose the title as he passed Hamilton during the Safety Car even for some milimeters.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

For me, biggest takeaway for the season is our former driver Carlos beating Leclerc in his first season in Ferrari. Highly underrated driver.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McL-H
McL-H

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 18:42
For me, biggest takeaway for the season is our former driver Carlos beating Leclerc in his first season in Ferrari. Highly underrated driver.
Oh I wished he never left! Superb performance all year of him against Charles, who is one of the best drivers out there. People often forget that Carlos made Max’s life at STR also very difficult. He beated him in the qualifying battle in their rookie seasons. I hope that if Ferrari has the best car next year and we cannot fight them, that Carlos will win it!

yamnoc76
yamnoc76

Tbh, i am a little bit scared about next season, because there's basically two situations here: next year car suits Daniel's and Lando suffers a bit or the opposite, in both ways we only have one performing driver while both Ferrari drivers seem to be ok with their car philosophy, but to be fair maybe we won't even be fighting the Ferrari next year so,whatever i guess.

blastdoman
blastdoman

Ground Effect wrote:
Totally agree. Some gurus said that we signed Daniel to take a step forward as a team. Anyway...

Seerix
Seerix

blastdoman wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:17
Ground Effect wrote:
Totally agree. Some gurus said that we signed Daniel to take a step forward as a team. Anyway...
And by 'some gurus' I assume you mean everyone. Because everyone thought RIC will be improvement in driver lineup. This is clearly not the case, Carlos had a great season unlike Daniel. I just hope that the investment into RIC will pay out in next years.

Darth-Piekus

Daniel wasn't able to get in sync with the car. Hopefully next year he will be fully in sync and show us what he can really do. He is of championship material and I am sure he hasn't forgotten how to drive.

Balalu
Balalu

When is the post season test?
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

Darth-Piekus

It's official. Both protests have been dismissed. It would be a lie if I say I am not bothered by this cause in my opinion they have chosen for a champion behind the curtains.

For Mclaren we made another good step leading 3rd place till 5 races to go having a lot of badluck in the end. We managed to surpass last years point tally and we even got the only 1-2 of the season in Monza and missed a Back to Back victory in Sochi due to outside circumstances. Also gained a pole position and missed 3 more. Just like in 1997.

The year looks a lot like 1997 having obtained a master aerodynamist (Andrian Newey back then, James Key now). We got Mercedes engines which are gonna be even better next year. The facilities maybe a little outdated compared to the first 3 but they are not that far back. We got two championship material drivers since Button and Hamilton.The rules are reseting cars completely. It's true that we aren't playing by ourselves but I don't see why Mclaren can't create an innovative car that can make a 1998 repeat.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 21:51
It's official. Both protests have been dismissed. It would be a lie if I say I am not bothered by this cause in my opinion they have chosen for a champion behind the curtains.

For Mclaren we made another good step leading 3rd place till 5 races to go having a lot of badluck in the end. We managed to surpass last years point tally and we even got the only 1-2 of the season in Monza and missed a Back to Back victory in Sochi due to outside circumstances. Also gained a pole position and missed 3 more. Just like in 1997.

The year looks a lot like 1997 having obtained a master aerodynamist (Andrian Newey back then, James Key now). We got Mercedes engines which are gonna be even better next year. The facilities maybe a little outdated compared to the first 3 but they are not that far back. We got two championship material drivers since Button and Hamilton.The rules are reseting cars completely. It's true that we aren't playing by ourselves but I don't see why Mclaren can't create an innovative car that can make a 1998 repeat.
I agree, Max Verstappen..."The choosen one.".

Gonna put my crystal ball away on McLaren till next year for obvious reasons.

Darth-Piekus

diffuser wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 22:28
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 21:51
I agree, Max Verstappen..."The choosen one.".

Gonna put my crystal ball away on McLaren till next year for obvious reasons.
I am really dissapointed. As a fan of Mclaren I am against getting this kind of championship even if Mclaren was the one benefited from the rule. Michael Masi is as incompetent as Max Mosley and today he has clearly chosen who he wanted as champion. I am not sure if Mercedes can appeal to a higher body than the Court of Appeals of F1. I doubt they can get anything different than that as the FIA would never overturn a decision even if that decision was wrong.

I'm reading that Mercedes may lodge an appeal to the International Court of Appeals of the FIA and maybe even go this whole story to another level. The FIA screwed themselves big time with that. Let's hope they do not push Mercedes out of F1 with that kind of decision.

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

I hope mercedes pull out after this farce. 1000s of their engineers worked their arse off to achieve what they did late season. Masi gifted it to rbr on a silver platter.

If I was thr head ceo of merc I'd pull out and take my engines with me and let the sport die. It is absolutely disgusting how he completely went against the written rules

It's a professional sport. The way masi dragged it through the dirt is a disgrace.

Emag
Emag

Well guys, title controversy aside, I just wanted to say a few things in the scope of McLaren.

Maybe this season did not end perfectly for us, but I doubt many can deny that overall, this has been an amazing season for the team.

We got to taste victory for the first time since forever, and we re-experienced the thrill of fighting for poles (even got one).

We might have had a lot of frustrating moments this year, and some heated moments of discussion here, but I am sure at the end of the day we all share a passion for McLaren and we want to see them at their best.

I am cautious in my expectations for next year, but the team is more structured than ever, so we have to trust they know what they are doing.

I am sure we will get quite busy very soon again. Winter testing is not that far away. In the meantime, I wish everyone happy holidays. I hope you have a great time with your loved ones and I wish you all the best for 2022.

diffuser

1m0bius1 wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 01:05
I hope mercedes pull out after this farce. 1000s of their engineers worked their arse off to achieve what they did late season. Masi gifted it to rbr on a silver platter.

If I was thr head ceo of merc I'd pull out and take my engines with me and let the sport die. It is absolutely disgusting how he completely went against the written rules

It's a professional sport. The way masi dragged it through the dirt is a disgrace.
I doubt they're gonna go back and overturn the current rulling. What NEEDS to be done is the leaway needs to be removed in what Masi can do in a safety car situation. What ever they decide to do it has to be done the same way everytime. None of this "if he sees it" shiit.