2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Just cancelled my Sky F1 HD. Will watch some highlights on channel 4 to check in on McLaren but I'm done with F1 as a whole. I was a kid when this type of crap happened with Ferrari and Schumacher and F1 was free, and I had more passion back then. Now I'm older I can see things clearer and have less passion. I'm not funding this crap.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

diffuser

McG wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 03:20
Just cancelled my Sky F1 HD. Will watch some highlights on channel 4 to check in on McLaren but I'm done with F1 as a whole. I was a kid when this type of crap happened with Ferrari and Schumacher and F1 was free, and I had more passion back then. Now I'm older I can see things clearer and have less passion. I'm not funding this crap.
I understand where you're coming.

diffuser

Seerix wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:59
blastdoman wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:17
Ground Effect wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 18:42
For me, biggest takeaway for the season is our former driver Carlos beating Leclerc in his first season in Ferrari. Highly underrated driver.
Totally agree. Some gurus said that we signed Daniel to take a step forward as a team. Anyway...
And by 'some gurus' I assume you mean everyone. Because everyone thought RIC will be improvement in driver lineup. This is clearly not the case, Carlos had a great season unlike Daniel. I just hope that the investment into RIC will pay out in next years.
Carlos wasn't an option right, he bolted. Ric was option 2. So Ric was who Zak thought was the best of who was left. Yeah and most people thought he was at least equal.

There is still a good chance Ric has a recovery year in 22. He hasn't forgotten how to drive since last year.

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

McG wrote:
Yes. It was a --- disgrace. An absolute slap in the face to the thousands of Merc stuff who probably worked sleepless nights to overcome the deficit they had to RBR and basically win it right at the end only for Masi to basically break the FIA's own rules to engineer a winner. Absolute --- farce.

If the FIA have that power in a professional sport and can contravene its own rules then why the --- are teams competing.

Seerix
Seerix

diffuser wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 04:33
Seerix wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:59
blastdoman wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 19:17

Totally agree. Some gurus said that we signed Daniel to take a step forward as a team. Anyway...
And by 'some gurus' I assume you mean everyone. Because everyone thought RIC will be improvement in driver lineup. This is clearly not the case, Carlos had a great season unlike Daniel. I just hope that the investment into RIC will pay out in next years.
Carlos wasn't an option right, he bolted. Ric was option 2. So Ric was who Zak thought was the best of who was left. Yeah and most people thought he was at least equal.

There is still a good chance Ric has a recovery year in 22. He hasn't forgotten how to drive since last year.
I think Ric was always preferred option for Zak, he was trying to hire him earlier already. I agree he was the best choice. Most experienced with great record and likable guy as well, he has everything. I really hope he can get back to his form next year.

On the WDC decision... yeah that's super disappointing, I don't understand how can Masi just decide on the spot what the rules are. It's not right. I've seen my fair share of season finales since late 90s and this was by far the worst one.

basti313
basti313

1m0bius1 wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 08:32
McG wrote:
Yes. It was a --- disgrace. An absolute slap in the face to the thousands of Merc stuff who probably worked sleepless nights to overcome the deficit they had to RBR and basically win it right at the end only for Masi to basically break the FIA's own rules to engineer a winner. Absolute --- farce.

If the FIA have that power in a professional sport and can contravene its own rules then why the --- are teams competing.
1m0bius1 wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 08:32
McG wrote:

Good question in the end...
So why are teams competing although the FIA did not close the split turbo loophole?
And why are teams like McLaren and RedBull still competing after the 2010 $hitshow when Ferrari in blind anger against them lobbied engine rules to kick them into nowhere?
Don`t russel the hamster!

cyclon

It's been quite a long time i have not posted here but i really feel that i have to now.
First things first ! Congrats to our team 4th place is great since it is more than obvious that at least from summer brake and on they decided to go on with researching for 2022.
Now the ... bad news... I have been following F1 for more than 45 years now and maybe being slightly involved about a decade or so ago.
It is well known that F1 is a lot of politics as long gone dearest Ayrton had said.
But it is the first time ever it became so obvious. They even provide the dialogues between FIA and teams (as almost spitting on our faces).
The last 2-3 years a lot of things happened, Ferrari not being punished for illegal motor , Racing Point slightly punished for copy infrigments, both Lewis and Max not being punished or slightly punished for numerous infrigments, midfield drivers harshly punished for same infrigments, Mercedes and Red Bull not being punished for aero infrigments, Max should have been showned black or at least black and white flag in the previous race, Lewis outght to give his place after the early incident in last race, and the best one half the lapped cars to get their places just to set free road between positions 1-2 (although there were other fights behind that were not given the same 'privilage') etc etc....
IMHO New F1 owners drive the sport to a bad place. They like to give drama but in the way they like. They will not let the sport provide its own drama....
Very disappointed ....
If what i can see for the future is right do not expect our team or any other team go to the top if they don't bring money or something to "glorify" F1....

I hope am completely wrong!
Anyway i am sure our team will never 'surrender' it has a winner's dna !
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Good year for the team. A shame we kind of dropped the ball in the end of the year, but hopefully that means we focused on the new car earlier than Ferrari. About the race, another forgettable and unlucky race for McLaren. On the upside, by finishing P4 in the championship we get slightly more development time.

About the championship, I am quite saddened that in the end Max became a champion through luck (VSC/SC both benefitted him greatly). This cheapens the show.

About turn 1 incident, I cannot accept any penalty to Hamilton as Max forced him wide after doing a crazy dive bomb. In subsequent laps you can see Max takes a completely different line and that the turn 1 incident was a huge dive bomb/lunge that could have crashed both out of the race. This means that Max forced Hamilton off the track and we all remember that Norris received a penalty when he forced Perez wide. Of course there was no gravel this time so Hamilton kept his place but the point remains. This is probably why they did not ask Hamilton to return his place to Verstappen and why Verstappen did not receive a penalty.

Stewards need to be improved and rules clarified. No more "outside edge of kerb" is the track, white lines are the edge of circuit, you leave the track, you lose the lap. Same with forcing people wide, crazy dive bombs and similar.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Oh and remember guys the uproar we had over RacingPoint copying. We can see how that worked out for them. You can't copy your way forward.

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 12:08
Oh and remember guys the uproar we had over RacingPoint copying. We can see how that worked out for them. You can't copy your way forward.
By copying the 2019 Mercedes, they were stuck with a concept that took Mercedes a lot of time and money to adapt to the 2021 floor regulations, not to mention a lot of very smart people. All things RP does not have at the same quantity as Mercedes.

I don't usually believe in these things, but Karma was indeed a bitch for them. Can't say I feel too bad though. I would lie if I said I didn't "enjoy" Otmar's salty comments earlier this season. Especially after his smug statements last year.

_cerber1

Very good reliability from McLaren and Mercedes.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 12:41
By copying the 2019 Mercedes, they were stuck with a concept that took Mercedes a lot of time and money to adapt to the 2021 floor regulations, not to mention a lot of very smart people. All things RP does not have at the same quantity as Mercedes.

I don't usually believe in these things, but Karma was indeed a bitch for them. Can't say I feel too bad though. I would lie if I said I didn't "enjoy" Otmar's salty comments earlier this season. Especially after his smug statements last year.
They were unlucky that the new cars got postponed, without the postponement they would have had one good year and then a clean slate. This way they were forced to work and improve a concept they did not understand.

But as you said, karma is a bitch.

basti313
basti313

FittingMechanics wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 14:12
Emag wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 12:41

They were unlucky that the new cars got postponed, without the postponement they would have had one good year and then a clean slate. This way they were forced to work and improve a concept they did not understand.

But as you said, karma is a bitch.
The clean slate is the big issue. The aero change will require a new cooling concept for the engine. As we know from every customer team down to the time when McLaren was trying to work with Honda, there is never enough information from the engine side.
If anything the postponing of the new regs helped teams like McLaren as the last minute changes on the engine will not screw them as much as 2014.
Don`t russel the hamster!

mwillems

McG wrote:
Yeah I completely agree. I feel so let down by this sport, and disgusted, I'm not sure where I will be with it all next year.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McL-H
McL-H

Obviously, F1 has been a complete joke these last couple of races. I do not blame Max. He did a great job.. he did not have the best car the latter part of the season and he did everything he had to do to defend his championship. I believe he well deserves this championship. However, Lewis deserved it just as well and if not for race control, the championship would have been his. They have really degraded F1 into a reality show and therefore the race yesterday left me very disappointed. The FIA decided the outcome of the championship, which is unacceptable.

F1 should absolutely look at the rule book and the way they want to go at these things. Also, for incidents happening during the race, I believe they should be investing and relying on AI to apply the rules in a fair and structural matter. It is 2022 and this is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport. Use the technology available. And do not let show prevail over the integrity of the sport.