2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

bananapeel23 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:05

I agree to a point. The SF24 is definitely a much, much better platform in terms of tyre deg than the SF23 or F1-75 ever were, but calling it the primary strength of the car isn't really correct either. I'd say it's about as good as, or slightly worse than ....Red Bull in terms of deg.
:lol: :lol: Tell another joke, go on

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

bananapeel23 wrote:
I agree to a point. The SF24 is definitely a much, much better platform in terms of tyre deg than the SF23 or F1-75 ever were, but calling it the primary strength of the car isn't really correct either. I'd say it's about as good as, or slightly worse than McLaren and Red Bull in terms of deg. There have been several instances where the SF24 started off quicker than the cars around it and then suffered so much deg it just ended up uncompetitive. Especially in places like Imola, where it was faster than the McLarens the entire first stint and in the first half of the second stint, then fell off while the McLarens kept getting faster throughout the stint.
MCL might be a bit better on average in terms of tyre wear (and even then it's hard to distinguish whether it's wear or their car being plain faster), but the RB is hell no. RB20 is a downgrade tyre wear-wise compared to its predecessor and has been quite mid since the start of the season in this respect.

Vanja #66

f1316 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 23:50
100%. But I do also think it’s also an inherent compromise of the car itself (ie protecting to tyres to fix the prior biggest issue, at the expense of the prior strength - eg quali).
This is true, but with 1 tenth to decide P4 or pole I think there are many small things that had a big influence. Both drivers blamed too much understeer as track temp slightly dropped, I really think this is a consequence of race setup made towards tyre protection, ie 1-stop
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Xyz22
Xyz22

Think Sainz is going to have a huge chance in Singapore. What do you guys reckon?

bananapeel23

dialtone wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:42
bananapeel23 wrote:
ScuderiaLeo wrote:
31 Aug 2024, 18:57

Not to be “I told you so” but this is quite similar to what I predicted! And really shows the value of not overeating after quali - especially with this car where they’ve traded quali pace for tyre management.

I don’t think Oscar could have done a 1 stop - he was starting to struggle more than Charles before his second stop and we’ve seen Charles do these ultra consistent long stints multiple times this year. This is his and the car’s real strength - it’s not always what is needed, especially when they qualify too far back and can’t make use of it, but it worked a treat here.

Forza Ferrari!!!
I agree to a point. The SF24 is definitely a much, much better platform in terms of tyre deg than the SF23 or F1-75 ever were, but calling it the primary strength of the car isn't really correct either. I'd say it's about as good as, or slightly worse than McLaren and Red Bull in terms of deg. There have been several instances where the SF24 started off quicker than the cars around it and then suffered so much deg it just ended up uncompetitive. Especially in places like Imola, where it was faster than the McLarens the entire first stint and in the first half of the second stint, then fell off while the McLarens kept getting faster throughout the stint.
Have we just finished watching a race in which both Ferraris finished on a 1 stopper with a race pace similar to the rest and somehow you say it's worse than MCL in terms of tire deg?

I don't understand why some folks need to just negate facts in front of them.
I think this is recency bias. The Ferrari has been good, but rarely the best at tyre management all season. This was a rare instance of Ferrari and Leclerc doing very well. Remember that Ferrari looked marginally worse than the 3 other top teams in FP in terms of tyre wear as well.

Vanja #66

bananapeel23 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:05
I think this is recency bias. The Ferrari has been good, but rarely the best at tyre management all season. This was a rare instance of Ferrari and Leclerc doing very well. Remember that Ferrari looked marginally worse than the 3 other top teams in FP in terms of tyre wear as well.
Slightly better deg (in one or more stints) than RB in Bahrain, Jeddah, Australia, Japan, China, Spain, Hungary and Monza. Equal deg in Miami, Imola, Austria and Zandvoort. Other races were troublesome for one or both teams, so not much use in comparing them.

As for McLaren, slightly better deg for Ferrari in Bahrain, Jeddah, Australia, Japan (big difference), Monaco, Hungary and Zandvoort (McLaren quicker, but more deg in both races) and obviously Monza. Equal deg in China, Miami (different strategy for Norris), Imola, Spain, Austria and Spa (Leclerc slowed down in 3rd stint for bouncing, but no deg then). Other races same as for RB comparison.

Not a single race where deg was an issue for Ferrari and always at least as good as RB and McLaren. Ferrari had marginally better deg in many races and clearly better in a few - Japan, Monza, Zandvoort come to mind. This cost them a lot of trouble in Q, so I don't think it's a good feature overall, but at least they have used it very well whenever they had a real chance to do it.

#BlessYouLaddie

bananapeel23

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 11:31
bananapeel23 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 10:05
Slightly better deg (in one or more stints) than RB in Bahrain, Jeddah, Australia, Japan, China, Spain, Hungary and Monza. Equal deg in Miami, Imola, Austria and Zandvoort. Other races were troublesome for one or both teams, so not much use in comparing them.

As for McLaren, slightly better deg for Ferrari in Bahrain, Jeddah, Australia, Japan (big difference), Monaco, Hungary and Zandvoort (McLaren quicker, but more deg in both races) and obviously Monza. Equal deg in China, Miami (different strategy for Norris), Imola, Spain, Austria and Spa (Leclerc slowed down in 3rd stint for bouncing, but no deg then). Other races same as for RB comparison.

Not a single race where deg was an issue for Ferrari and always at least as good as RB and McLaren. Ferrari had marginally better deg in many races and clearly better in a few - Japan, Monza, Zandvoort come to mind. This cost them a lot of trouble in Q, so I don't think it's a good feature overall, but at least they have used it very well whenever they had a real chance to do it.
So about equal, then.

I do think the tradeoff between deg and quali pace they made this season has been worth it though. They are doing better than even 2022, and could conceivably be in the fight for even the WCC, however unlikely that is. They are definitely in the fight for 2nd, though, and will almost cettainly finish within 100 pts of the winner.

Of course it would be better if they had the monster quali pace of 2022 and the good to great tyre wear of 2024, but if you can only have one, I feel the great deg would be a no-brainer.

If only they could get on top of the bouncing they would probably be in the fight with McLaren for real.

F1NAC

Unicredit to be new sponsor starting 2015

Vanja #66

bananapeel23 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 11:48
So about equal, then.

I do think the tradeoff between deg and quali pace they made this season has been worth it though. They are doing better than even 2022, and could conceivably be in the fight for even the WCC, however unlikely that is. They are definitely in the fight for 2nd, though, and will almost cettainly finish within 100 pts of the winner.

Of course it would be better if they had the monster quali pace of 2022 and the good to great tyre wear of 2024, but if you can only have one, I feel the great deg would be a no-brainer.

If only they could get on top of the bouncing they would probably be in the fight with McLaren for real.
If this was 2022, this kind of trade off would have worked very good. With 8 cars so close on pace instead of 4, track position is very important now. Before TD39 the car had it all in 22, last year it was way too peaky on tyres and now it's quite ok, but just a tiny fraction too much on safe side. I don't think it was a bad decision at all after last season, but it's not the best descision overall as it tirned out

#BlessYouLaddie

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

bluechris

214270 wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 14:26
With damages like this you easily surpass the budget cap.... :)

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

dialtone wrote:
Have we just finished watching a race in which both Ferraris finished on a 1 stopper with a race pace similar to the rest and somehow you say it's worse than MCL in terms of tire deg?

I cannot for the life of me comprehend this new trend of thinking only the last race matters when judging performance or characteristics or whatever. Analyzing trends is far more important than one single race/race weekend.

Yes, Ferrari on the whole has had worse tire degradation than Mclaren. It's a strength of the car relative to previous years, but it's not something that has especially enhanced Ferrari's competitiveness over the top competition this season, either. I think that's an entirely reasonable claim. Monza was an exception, not the rule.

bananapeel23

Seanspeed wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 15:02
dialtone wrote:

I cannot for the life of me comprehend this new trend of thinking only the last race matters when judging performance or characteristics or whatever. Analyzing trends is far more important than one single race/race weekend.

Yes, Ferrari on the whole has had worse tire degradation than Mclaren. It's a strength of the car relative to previous years, but it's not something that has especially enhanced Ferrari's competitiveness over the top competition this season, either. I think that's an entirely reasonable claim. Monza was an exception, not the rule.
Thank you! That's exactly what I meant!

catent

Seanspeed wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 15:02
dialtone wrote:

We must not be watching the same season because I have not seen McLaren exhibiting consistently superior tire deg to Ferrari on the balance of the 2024 season. They’ve simply had a faster car since Miami.

deadhead

F1NAC wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 12:05
Unicredit to be new sponsor starting 2015

https://i.redd.it/yhjqseygzcmd1.png
Nice.