2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Just a fan's point of view

MCLvamos
MCLvamos

CjC wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 21:26
Mark thinks its advantage Red Bull
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... undertone/
One saving grace might be that Lando looked a bit snappy coming out the last couple corners and also discussed the car being on a knife-edge in the post-practice interviews, so there may be more time to come from us as well.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Looking at F1 Tempo it doesn't look like Red Bull is faster on all other straights (like Hughes said), but it does look like they have slightly different lines. Verstappen going deeper on brakes, are they unable to take the kerbs?

I feel a lot of commentators err on the side of caution so it is easy to say Red Bull are fast, usually that is true.

Same with Formula1.com predictions where they predict Red Bull to be fractionally faster than McLaren in both race and qualy pace.

Should be fun to see tomorrow, if Red Bull doesn't take an easy pole I'd take that as a great sign for the remainder of the season.

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
Like most. They are always the one to beat.

mwillems

Jdn1327 wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 11:21
mwillems wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 01:19
BMMR61 wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 01:14

It's just Horner at it again, clearly things are getting too much for the Red Bull. The rules are determined by the static load test the FIA devised. Any data gained from this will be used to decide what, if any, action or measuring set, can be used in the future to take away a so-called "ground effect" of the FW.

I think Mercedes will be our biggest threat this weekend but it is looking good, all things handled properly, for the win. It will be interesting to see how much Oscar has learned about looking after the tyres in the race after last year where he slid backwards, somewhat hindered by floor damage also.
If we flex too much then there's no point being sour. I'd want RB investigated if they were "bending" the rules.
What baseline are the FIA going to use for this though? And at what point does the flex actually generate gains for a car? Too many unknowns to police whether a team gains an advantage or not...
They will be looking at it to see how to create a test to prevent the flexing. I don't think they will be performing tests with the video, it's just analysis. This suggests that the FIA are going to clamp down on it. The teams will now know this and will be looking at ways around it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Xero

CjC wrote:
As usual with Mark Hughes, his arguments are always blinkered to a single perspective. Mentions how much time Max lost during his lap, on the assumption Lando's was perfect. Watching the onboard it was far from it. #-o

BMMR61

Xero wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 02:43
CjC wrote:
As usual with Mark Hughes, his arguments are always blinkered to a single perspective. Mentions how much time Max lost during his lap, on the assumption Lando's was perfect. Watching the onboard it was far from it. #-o
Is there a more reliable pundit? His assumptions usually end up close to he mark (no pun intended). If we look at how Checo is close to the mix it does appear for the time being that RedBull are managing this group of tyres on this track at these temperatures slightly better than McLaren. It looks so close that it could easily change tomorrow.

Unusually Mark didn't do a long stint analysis, maybe it was because the drivers were having to cool their tyres down every second lap, but Lando looked pretty good on this measure. FP3 will give greater insight, hopefully the team can dial #81 to Oscar's liking in time for Q1/2/3.

mwillems

There are several points at which Lando looked like he could find time. But it does look like RB may have a material advantage on the two high speeds here and on the exits after. Mclaren carrying more speed in the slow corners though.

There is setup work to be done, but it does look advantage Red Bull if I listen to my gut instinct.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 09:37
There are several points at which Lando looked like he could find time. But it does look like RB may have a material advantage on the two high speeds here and on the exits after. Mclaren carrying more speed in the slow corners though.

There is setup work to be done, but it does look advantage Red Bull if I listen to my gut instinct.
Did your gut say "advantage McLaren" in any race this year? :-)

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 09:57
mwillems wrote:

Ahaha it has, to be fair lol

I've definately been accused of potentially jinxing the team. Not today :D
Last edited by mwillems on 20 Jul 2024, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 09:57
mwillems wrote:

Yep! However here it looks like the RB20 may have the edge on us on race pace

CjC
CjC

Red Bull have bought a significant upgrade, we should expect them to return to the front if not step away from the pack. Look at Perez, now the car potentially is a step ahead of the field in the hands of Max, Perez is now in the mix with the following teams. It’s no surprise to have seen Perez slip so far back in to the pack when it was clear the Red Bull didn’t have a performance advantage.

All I’m interested in is what are McLaren going to do about it? When, where, what are the upgrades?
Just a fan's point of view

K1Plus
K1Plus

CjC wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 10:26
Red Bull have bought a significant upgrade, we should expect them to return to the front if not step away from the pack. Look at Perez, now the car potentially is a step ahead of the field in the hands of Max, Perez is now in the mix with the following teams. It’s no surprise to have seen Perez slip so far back in to the pack when it was clear the Red Bull didn’t have a performance advantage.

All I’m interested in is what are McLaren going to do about it? When, where, what are the upgrades?
When saying step away, you mean Max winning by 20 seconds? Well if this upgrade makes that happen, suddenly McLaren are back to the 4 tenth gap Ferrari was at the start, and Ferrari is at a 8 tenth gap then.
If this upgrade really produces 4 tenths for Red Bull it could be over unless something significant happens later with McLaren's upgrades

mwillems

Maybe let's wait for representative running.

As for development, it's always a back and forth. Mclarens progress is on target.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Perez was P3 ahead of VER in FP2 in Silverstone. He didn't run in FP1.

Doesn't mean his pace in FP2 here is anything different.

I am still optimistic, I don't think there will be a significant pace change after the Red Bull upgrade.

Everyone is overreacting to minimal data.