Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mikeerfol

Re: Mclaren MP4-30 Honda

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

I'm starting to get the impression that Mclaren are indeed struggling a bit with getting all of the car to sing together, whereas before they were putting a brave face on it, now there is general acknowledgement that they are behind.

I have a tenancy to make big calls at the exact point fortunes reverse, so bookmark this post lol

MercedesAMGSpy

The car looks fast and the rear is a piece of art, but they need to fix their technical issues soon, otherwise it will hurt the development of the car.

Del Boy
Del Boy

Richard wrote:Curious that it failed so early for Button while Alonso completed a lot more mileage yesterday. I thought Alonso had the same design as Button on day 1.
Car thread from a moderator?

PlatinumZealot

The new seal has not gone in yet folks. Arai said it is a material issue. They were running the KERS only at low rpms today and it still went kaput. They will have to suck it up and use duplex steel instead of titanium.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

lkocev

dren wrote:
ringo wrote:The car looks like it will be quick in high speed turns, but i get the feeling that the car is so well packaged that it might be very draggy, similar to the old redbulls. Not a bad formula to work with, but tracks like Monza may be their weakness.
That doesn't make sense. Why would a well packaged car be more draggy?

Have you located ellipses all over the car, too?
Hahaha oh that is quite funny, I remember that post years ago.

Seriously Ringo, I don't know how you equate good packaging with being 'draggy'. The car itself appears to be packaged very neat, tidy and narrow through its sidepods and coke-bottle area, in designing the car that way I can only assume it is for the purpose of exploiting the effectiveness of the floor further. The floor of a formula one car is generally accepted as one of the more efficient means of generating downforce, if not the most efficient.

It remains to be seen if this is the correct packaging compromise, remember the perfect package doesn't exist, only the most suitable compromise. The package may be well suited to some circuits, but less suited to others, no one really knows at this stage. Remember there is likely to be some form of performance penalty taken as a result of having those heat exchangers above the intake plenum of the engine, both mechanical and aerodynamic, you can't expect that an increase in the cross-section and volume of bodywork/components upstream of the rear wing not to have a performance impact on it. Would this suit Monza or not? again it is yet to be seen, but keep in mind Monza is not really about low downforce, its about getting drag low enough, it just so happens that usually means trimming the wings down in order to do so.

The car appears quick to me, they seem to be able to go out and post respectable times even carrying all the technical issues they are having. A well balanced car, which the 30 appears to be according to Button and Alonso, will generally be a well balanced car on any circuit. So if the 30 emerges as the 4th or 3rd quickest car this season, you can reasonably expect that would be the case across the calendar.

trinidefender
trinidefender

lkocev wrote:
dren wrote:
ringo wrote:The car looks like it will be quick in high speed turns, but i get the feeling that the car is so well packaged that it might be very draggy, similar to the old redbulls. Not a bad formula to work with, but tracks like Monza may be their weakness.

Hahaha oh that is quite funny, I remember that post years ago.

Seriously Ringo, I don't know how you equate good packaging with being 'draggy'. The car itself appears to be packaged very neat, tidy and narrow through its sidepods and coke-bottle area, in designing the car that way I can only assume it is for the purpose of exploiting the effectiveness of the floor further. The floor of a formula one car is generally accepted as one of the more efficient means of generating downforce, if not the most efficient.

It remains to be seen if this is the correct packaging compromise, remember the perfect package doesn't exist, only the most suitable compromise. The package may be well suited to some circuits, but less suited to others, no one really knows at this stage. Remember there is likely to be some form of performance penalty taken as a result of having those heat exchangers above the intake plenum of the engine, both mechanical and aerodynamic, you can't expect that an increase in the cross-section and volume of bodywork/components upstream of the rear wing not to have a performance impact on it. Would this suit Monza or not? again it is yet to be seen, but keep in mind Monza is not really about low downforce, its about getting drag low enough, it just so happens that usually means trimming the wings down in order to do so.

The car appears quick to me, they seem to be able to go out and post respectable times even carrying all the technical issues they are having. A well balanced car, which the 30 appears to be according to Button and Alonso, will generally be a well balanced car on any circuit. So if the 30 emerges as the 4th or 3rd quickest car this season, you can reasonably expect that would be the case across the calendar.
How tightly packaged a car is, is not a very good indicator of drag levels. A gentle tightening of the rear end will generally produce less drag than a read end that tightens up quickly at a sharp angle. Of course those doesn't take into accout things like how the airflow moves between the rear bodywork and the rear tyres but all the same if you want to reduce drag then you reduce the pressure gradients. How do you reduce the pressure gradients? You make the bodywork have a gentler curve on it as it travels back. Of course this introduces the problems of now you have more surface area. It is all a trade off and not something you can generally determine by looking at.

Take Williams last year, they are generally accepted as far and away the lowest drag car. Yet they weren't even near to the most tightly packaged. Food for thought.

ringo

dren wrote:

I'm tempted to type something to make you look stupid, but i wont.
The flow going through the car is more restricted than the other teams due to the compact nature of the heat exchangers within it. Not only that but their engine cover is not a low drag design.
For Sure!!

lkocev

trinidefender wrote:How tightly packaged a car is, is not a very good indicator of drag levels. A gentle tightening of the rear end will generally produce less drag than a read end that tightens up quickly at a sharp angle. Of course those doesn't take into accout things like how the airflow moves between the rear bodywork and the rear tyres but all the same if you want to reduce drag then you reduce the pressure gradients. How do you reduce the pressure gradients? You make the bodywork have a gentler curve on it as it travels back. Of course this introduces the problems of now you have more surface area. It is all a trade off and not something you can generally determine by looking at.

Take Williams last year, they are generally accepted as far and away the lowest drag car. Yet they weren't even near to the most tightly packaged. Food for thought.
I'm not suggesting that being tightly packaged through the rear either reduces nor increases drag, but I do think we can expect that the reason the team has taken this design route is for the purpose of exploiting the effectiveness of the floor. Last seasons Williams I would agree appears to be one of the lower drag cars, if not the lowest, but we still don't know how much downforce it generates relative to that drag. The same with the 30, we don't know how much drag it creates, or how much downforce it creates, but we can assume that if their floor is more effective relative to other teams, then in order to achieve a given downforce, they would have the option to design wings that create less drag, much in the same way that Red Bull did through the 2013 season.

Now I don't actually think the floor of the 30 will necessarily generate more downforce than the other teams, because lets be realistic, many of the teams appear to be converging on this design idea, and taking whatever disadvantage be it mechanical and/or aerodynamic that these high heat exchanger layouts carry. But we can reasonably assume that the teams are doing so, because the performance gain afforded by the 'presumed' increased effectiveness of the floor is greater than the aforementioned loss. McLaren, Red Bull, Mercedes, Ferrari, and to a lesser extent Williams, all look to be quite narrow through the sidepod and coke bottle area, with the 30 appearing to me to have a more pronounced undercut than the rest of the teams. I can only assume that the teams like I said are starting to converge to a design compromise that is somewhat more optimal within the framework of the regulations.

Again, I think the car will be reasonably quick once they can get the technical issues sorted, because I think the times posted are respectable. I doubt it will set the would on fire, but you never know, I guess stranger things have happened.

damager21
damager21

On the positives, McLaren definitely has made some progress this week. At Jerez, over 4 days, we completed only 79 laps. This week at Barcelona, over the first 3 days, 104 laps have been completed. Another 54 laps today and McLaren will cover double the number of laps over Jerez. Also, Barcelona circuit is 0.2km longer than Jerez. So in short double the laps and more than double the distance =D>

Also, the engine sounds much better than at Jerez. https://twitter.com/McLaren_Soul/status ... 2870052864 Some pit stop practise as well

Fingers crossed for a strong end to this test.

michl420
michl420

It surprises me that Renault and Honda have such problems with the mguk. The only problem should be next to the exhaust heat. So deep down remains much room for the weight. And actually, it's only an electric motor. I admit that the regulation seems complicated.

Mesteño

crbassassin

Mesteño

https://twitter.com/McLaren_Soul/status ... 2052956160
Comparing the sound, they seem totally different cars.

Avocado
Avocado

crbassassin wrote:
vor gen
What?