2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

Vegas and Abu Dhabi will not be good for AT, and Vegas will of course be very good for Williams. So Brazil points haul is critical; IMO Williams is out of sight. If Daniel had finished 4th-5th and Tsunoda had scored @ Mexico we could be talking about p7 in wcc

runningmanz
runningmanz

Well hopefully we have both guys finishing well in the points and of course if Williams have a DNF or two you never know. Will be interesting to see how this uptick in form plays out!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Nice praise from Horner for Dan after the Mexico weekend.

Christian Horner believes Daniel Ricciardo’s performance in the Mexico City Grand Prix was proof that Red Bull was fully justified in recalling the Australian back to F1.

Horner was left in no doubt that Ricciardo “fully endorsed the reason why we’ve brought him back into AlphaTauri just prior to the summer break”, and that, more pertinently, he “looked a lot like the Daniel of old”.

Although his comeback from injury in the United States GP did not go as well as he had hoped, his performance in Mexico City was eye-opening, with his P4 in qualifying even surprising Horner.

“Look at the delta to Max, as well,” remarked Horner. “It was a tenth (of a second), so a remarkable performance by him.”

After two tortuous years with McLaren, bar the anomaly of his Italian GP triumph in 2021, Ricciardo has seemingly rediscovered his mojo.

McLaren tried and failed to work with Ricciardo’s unique driving style, with that period now appearing to be an aberration.

Horner, though, stated: “I think that’s a bit of a fallacy.

“Sport is as much in the head as it is anywhere else, and I think he’s back to his old self.

“You can see he’s relaxed, he’s confident. He came into the weekend fully motivated after a tricky Austin.

“Coming back from injury, I thought he did a great job.”

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/11/02/da ... f1-return/

Wouter

F1 is back in Brazil!

Daniel Ricciardo Image

“Mexico was a great weekend from start to finish, and I was really happy. We had a good car and made the most of it. I stayed there for a couple of days after the race before coming down to São Paulo.

“Interlagos is a very short track, and there aren’t many corners, so you have to make sure you get them all pretty clean because if you make a mistake, there’s nowhere really to make up the time lost. Physically, it’s a tough one on the neck, being run anti-clockwise, and you feel like you’re always turning left at this track. Additionally, the fact that the asphalt has low grip means this is a tricky one. I know this is another race at higher than usual altitude, but while I definitely noticed it in Mexico, even just running up some stairs, I can’t say I’ve ever felt it in Brazil.

“This is another Sprint weekend after the one in Austin, and I’m excited about it as I feel we have much more confidence in the car and how to set it up. Obviously, with me having raced two weekends in a row since I came back, I’m looking forward to dealing with the Sprint format at Interlagos. Having said that, it’s hard to know how well this track will suit our car. I guess I haven’t done enough races with it to know which types of tracks are best for us. In Mexico, we did better than expected, so that gives us confidence for Brazil. I’d hope we can have another Q3, top ten car.

“There are some great corners here, the most obvious being the Senna Esses. It’s where you can overtake, usually planning it a while before, maybe seeing what the car in front has done on the previous lap, to understand if they’re going to leave an opening or defend, which is the fun part of the sport.

“Brazil is always exciting, and the crowd is pretty real there. It’s very similar to Mexico in that it feels like there’s a stadium atmosphere with the air horns and flares, bands playing, and people dancing in the grandstands. I enjoy it, and then the churrascarias are always fun!”

Yuki Tsunoda Image

“We could’ve finished with both cars in the points in Mexico, and starting towards the back on the grid, that would’ve been a strong result for me. With Piastri, I knew I had to pass him as soon as possible, but I was too eager. I’ll learn from that in the future. The most important thing from that weekend is that the car performed really well, and the updates are working. We’ve moved up in the Constructors’, and I think we can also expect to be competitive at Interlagos, as the slow speed corners should suit our car, so I must stay focussed, and hopefully we can score more points.

“Interlagos is a tricky track, and on top of that, it’s another Sprint weekend, so there’s not much time to set up the car. I hope we can adapt the car to it as soon as possible, also based on what we learned here last year. The first and last sectors are quite quick, but you need a medium to high downforce for the slower turns in Sector 2.

“It’s a very demanding track physically, so I’ve been preparing specifically for that. I survived Qatar with no problem, so I’m confident it should be okay. The fact that it’s one of the few circuits that run anti-clockwise with mainly left-hand corners does add a little bit to the difficulty, but the main reason it’s tough is because you’re always turning the wheel to the left or the right. Even the main straight is not a real straight coming after the two fast corners at Turn 13 and 14, so you’re always turning left there, which is hard on the neck. So overall, a lap here can be slightly harder than at some other tracks, but I train hard and am in good shape, so I’m not worried.

“We often get rain here, but I’d prefer a normal dry weekend as it makes life more straightforward, less complicated in terms of strategy, and we can just focus on maximising our performance. In the past, I’ve experienced driving in the wet in Brazil, so even if it were raining, that wouldn’t be a problem. I’m ready!”
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

AlphaTauri Formula 1 driver Yuki Tsunoda locked himself in a room and “cancelled everything”
while he processed guilt and frustration from colliding with Oscar Piastri in the Mexican Grand Prix.

Facing the media ahead of the Brazilian GP this weekend, Yuki said: "I was really frustrated after the race
because I lost the opportunity to score points for the team.

"I was having a good race until then. So, I really had massive frustration and actually, it was hard to digest that frustration on that day.

"Normally, Mexico, you can enjoy. I actually cancelled everything and just stayed in the room. It was a big moment, and it was an opportunity… P5 was definitely possible."

Tsunoda added that he "tried to be patient as much as possible" when passing the McLaren and that it was "easy" to be alongside Piastri given the overspeed he had with DRS at the end of the main straight.

But he recognised that he should have taken extra caution and used more "situation management" given it was a fight for points - as AlphaTauri tries to bank extra prize money by passing Williams for seventh place in the constructors' championship.

"I feel first of all guilty. I don't know whether it's a conscious thing or whatever, but I just feel pretty bad if I play around and have a distraction after I have a bad race.

"Maybe it's good, but it will be just for me. It will be just temporary. I thought about everything - what I can improve in the future.

"It was obviously tough, but it gives me time to rethink. For me, it's the thing I normally do if I have a bad race.
I only have a party if I have a good race."
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

:cry: :cry: :cry: Only 0.5 sec behind Russell.

The Power of Dreams!

HPD

Seen on twitter.
Yuki 8 De Vries 2
Yuki 4 Lawson 1
Yuki 3 Ricciardo 2

djos

There was 1/2 a second between P1 and P17 in Q1, that was insane!

Only 1/100th between Daniel and Yuki, that’s pretty impressive - shows that both got basically everything possible out of the car.

Edit: I just saw Karun analysing Daniels final lap - he made an error by going too deep into turn one which really screwed him for the rest of the lap. 🤦‍♂️
Last edited by djos on 04 Nov 2023, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

HPD wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 23:01
Seen on twitter.
Yuki 8 De Vries 2
Yuki 4 Lawson 1
Yuki 3 Ricciardo 2
Considering Yuki has been in the car all year, you’d think it would be more one sided in his favour.
"In downforce we trust"

organic

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 00:49
HPD wrote:
03 Nov 2023, 23:01
Seen on twitter.
Yuki 8 De Vries 2
Yuki 4 Lawson 1
Yuki 3 Ricciardo 2
Considering Yuki has been in the car all year, you’d think it would be more one sided in his favour.
Dan is ahead if you count sprint races too which is only fair imo. A race is a race.

Hungary
Ricciardo Race -1, Qualli -1

Spa
Sprint
Ricciardo Race - 1, Qualli -1

Main Race
Tsunoda Race -1 , Qualli - 1

USA
Sprint
Ricciardo Race - 1, Qualli -1

Main Race
Tsunoda Race -1 , Qualli - 1

Mexico
Ricciardo Race -1 (Leave as is due to Tsunoda getting a perfect run with strategy and red flag, had a chance to beat Dan given this if he was quick enough if not for the crash with Oscar. However given the radio transcript it seems Dan was managing the gap near the end.

https://www.racefans.net/2023/11/02/tra ... g-it-home/

Qualli -1 (However discount this as Yuki didn't properly qualify)

Brazil
Tsunoda Qualli -1

Total so far:

Qualli 3-3
Races 4-2 in Ricciardos favour

Not bad for Dan given a disjointed comeback with minimal car time and including a broken hand recovery. have to wonder how much more he can improve once the rust is out and hand is fully healed given he said last race he still can't close his hand fully. Even Tost said he wasn't expecting Dan to be back to his best until probably around the Vegas race weekend after the injury.

As for Brazil, disappointing to have both guys out. Def pace to make q2 and even possibly sneak into q3. Dan was quite quick on that first q1 lap. At least the car doesn't seem to be that slow so hopefully more to come.
Last edited by runningmanz on 04 Nov 2023, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

ME4ME

runningmanz wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 02:58
As for Brazil, disappointing to have both guys out. Def pace to make q3 and even possibly sneak into q3. Dan was quite quick on that first q1 lap. At least the car doesn't seem to be that slow so hopefully more to come.
Tbh I think the writing was on the wall already in FP1 that Alpha Tauri wasn't quick. Yuki popped up high on the timing screens wíth a flashy lap-time but that was on softs while most others where on (used) hards and some on mediums. Compound adjusted already then I thought it was quite far off.

I don't think Alpha Tauri has great pace this weekend. Q2 yes maybe. Q3 no way.
Like already said above, both drivers being so closely matched hints at them reaching a sealing of what the car can do.

Maybe its better in race trim.

Wouter

Yuki: “I feel like we didn’t maximise our package today. I didn’t have clean air on the last lap, which affected my lap time.
Our pace hasn’t been on it today, so we’ll have to look through what happened and see how we can improve."

Daniel: “It’s frustrating because we were definitely faster than what we showed, and there was the potential for Q2, and maybe even Q3, but we didn’t get it right on the last lap. I didn’t get the tyres in the right spot for the start of the lap, so I came too hot into Turn 1."
Jonathan Eddolls (Chief Race Engineer)

“We didn’t have the most successful Friday in this final Sprint of the season here in Brazil. We explored various setup options during Free Practice 1, focusing mainly on the hard and medium compounds, intending to save the soft tyres for qualifying. We had no major issues or limitations with the car, just the usual low grip to start the session with on a green track. We felt the car was reasonably competitive.
It was clear the gaps were tight, as is always the case in Interlagos, so during qualifying, we completed three runs on new soft tyres with Yuki and two runs with Daniel. After the delay to the start of Q1, the rain was very close but missed the track to the north and had no impact. Although we improved on each of the runs, we didn’t have enough pace to make it through to Q2 today, which was frustrating considering the gap was less than one-tenth.
We knew we wouldn’t be quite as competitive as we were in Mexico, but we were expecting more than we achieved today.
We’ll go through the data, try to understand what happened, and make any changes to the car within Parc Ferme to improve it for the Sprint Shootout tomorrow.”
Is that allowed after the Qualification? I thought not after Q2 in qualification.
The Power of Dreams!

djos

AIUI, Front wing angles and other items that can be adjusted during the race aren’t covered by Parc Ferme.
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

ME4ME wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 10:46
runningmanz wrote:
04 Nov 2023, 02:58
As for Brazil, disappointing to have both guys out. Def pace to make q3 and even possibly sneak into q3. Dan was quite quick on that first q1 lap. At least the car doesn't seem to be that slow so hopefully more to come.
Tbh I think the writing was on the wall already in FP1 that Alpha Tauri wasn't quick. Yuki popped up high on the timing screens wíth a flashy lap-time but that was on softs while most others where on (used) hards and some on mediums. Compound adjusted already then I thought it was quite far off.

I don't think Alpha Tauri has great pace this weekend. Q2 yes maybe. Q3 no way.
Like already said above, both drivers being so closely matched hints at them reaching a sealing of what the car can do.

Maybe its better in race trim.
I think given the gaps were so fine here sneaking into q3 wasn't out of the question. Dan seemed to think so. Let's see how Sprint qualli goes.