McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: McLaren MCL38

mwillems wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 11:35
Is that the first time those Winglets on the DRS flap droop like that, or just the angle. Or is it actually cut away as Vanja suggests? The fact I would still expect to see the black outline on the winglets, but can't, suggest to me that part of the winglet has just drooped behind and lower than is visible.

That looks to be a phenomenally thin wing.
No, you didn't imagine it. The upper edge of the upper flap actually falls down.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 11:42
mwillems wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 11:35
Is that the first time those Winglets on the DRS flap droop like that, or just the angle. Or is it actually cut away as Vanja suggests? The fact I would still expect to see the black outline on the winglets, but can't, suggest to me that part of the winglet has just drooped behind and lower than is visible.

That looks to be a phenomenally thin wing.
No, you didn't imagine it. The upper edge of the upper flap actually falls down.
I think what will be interesting is if it droops down or is just droops and is relatively parallel with the wing. But if those winglets actually drop below the level of the wing in front then that is something quite new, and unexpected.
Last edited by mwillems on 29 Aug 2024, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

f1rules
f1rules

mwillems

Brilliant, thanks.

So the tip of the winglets are not really dropping below the portion of the winglet in front, it is flattening out with a very slight droop, which makes more sense in terms of the interaction between the air behind the wing coming up and the air over the wing.

Is it me, or does this wing, despite being very thin, still have a pronounced (But smaller) spoon effect on the main plane too, more so than we'd usually see on a very low DF wing? That said, I'm not sure it does because you can see the gap between the main plane and the DRS flap, but there is still a raised "lip" on the front on the main plane, which also looks like a slight departure from other very low DF wings we have used. It might be my eyes or the angle, but it doesn't appear to be the flat tray I'd expect.

-Bandit

f1rules
f1rules

well it seems, as opposed to the last couple of years, where monza was a weekend to "survive" with whatever they had, this year they actually invested in a newly developed and dedicated rw. Shows how confident they are in their core concept and basic package.

Emag
Emag

f1rules wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 12:56
well it seems, as opposed to the last couple of years, where monza was a weekend to "survive" with whatever they had, this year they actually invested in a newly developed and dedicated rw. Shows how confident they are in their core concept and basic package.
I suppose they can’t afford that now that they’re fighting for a possible WCC as opposed to an unthreatened P4.

Also I think this wing would be usable at Vegas too, so they would have sacrificed two weekends if they hadn’t invested into a proper low df package.

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 12:56
Many of the parts are getting into more granular changes with smaller gains, I'd imagine. Since those obvious bigger gains have been developed into.the package, the rear wing is now showing the potential for time gain similar to other areas of the car, whereas previously the value from RW investment was dwarfed by the floor, sidepods, front wing etc

As you say, the core concept in front is also stable. Making RW changes previously may almost have been a bit throwaway because the airflows from the core concept were not yet fully mature.

-Bandit

f1rules
f1rules

yeah agree, also the explanation from mclaren the previous years, was, that it was focusing developments on the core concept with its "main" rearwing usable for many tracks, now the project is more mature and goals have been reached, and diminishing returns, they now focus on more specific developments

Vanja #66

I'm definitely certain the new wing is slightly smaller in frontal area of the flap span. On top of that, a massive taper towards the tips, overall a decent cut on frontal area (if we exclude the slot that was visible last two years). Main element is much thinner and seemingly more cambered, as is the whole wing. New wing should be slightly lower drag with DRS flap both up and down

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mwillems

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 14:58
I'm definitely certain the new wing is slightly smaller in frontal area of the flap span. On top of that, a massive taper towards the tips, overall a decent cut on frontal area (if we exclude the slot that was visible last two years). Main element is much thinner and seemingly more cambered, as is the whole wing. New wing should be slightly lower drag with DRS flap both up and down

https://i.postimg.cc/k41X6X75/monza-mcl.jpg
Your picture confirms that the new wing does indeed have a new curvature/profile on the main plane vs the old flatter tea tray profile. The DRS flap looks slightly bigger to drop down to the Main Plan, which itself is slightly lower at the rear but aided by a more efficient shape.

Same story as the last week? Similar load for less drag? Looks like it may be collecting a little more centrally vs less at the wingtips. or perhaps this is more about the sideways expansion of the airlow from the winglets?

How does this new shape aid the aero, is it energising the flow over the wing and increasing the effect on the pressure underneath and therefore helping the rear of the car be more effective in general for the same drag?

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

Emag
Emag

Lucky wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 18:05
Nothing else other than the rear wing sticks out. Floor seems to be the same as in Zandvoort. Not a good angle to judge whether or not they have trimmed the front wing or not.

Vanja #66

mwillems wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 16:58
Same story as the last week? Similar load for less drag? Looks like it may be collecting a little more centrally vs less at the wingtips. or perhaps this is more about the sideways expansion of the airlow from the winglets?

How does this new shape aid the aero, is it energising the flow over the wing and increasing the effect on the pressure underneath and therefore helping the rear of the car be more effective in general for the same drag?
I wouldn't want to make any assessments, these snall wings can have big differences as their aero foils are much flatter. In those cases, individual shapes can have a lot bigger impact in my experience. Highly cambered foils with decent thickness typically have very similar behaviour and you can get a decent assessment based on overall size and AoA. In any case, I wouldn't be surprised if new wing also generates more downforce overall, but I'm 99% sure it carries less drag in both DRS modes.

As for its "operation," more camber means more downforce and typically more drag. However, combined overall thickness of new wing is lower and tips are much smaller and both those features reduce drag. I look forward to seeing sideviews and actual angle of the flap, I think it's a very good design
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mwillems

Emag wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 18:11
Lucky wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 18:05
Nothing else other than the rear wing sticks out. Floor seems to be the same as in Zandvoort. Not a good angle to judge whether or not they have trimmed the front wing or not.
Plenty of cooling louvres. The camera is higher than in other shots so you can see that the "semi spoon" shape of the main plane is far from minor. The rear of the main plane is significantly lower than the front lip, must be DRS related, wonder what this will do.

Winglets do look cut out from this angle.

-Bandit

SSJ4
SSJ4