Mercedes GP 2011

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Mercedes GP W02

I've said this before of course, but if you settle for the wrong concept to begin with, such as a go-kart wheelbase, funny radiators or an odd xhaust, I don't think a thousand engineers could help you, unless you design and build an entirely new car mid-season?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Pierce89

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Im sorry you dont like it.

Certain restrictions were put in place, like team size.
Unless you outsourced less in which case you could incorporate higher numbers.This was to circumvent Mad Max plan of 40 million budgets and en masse lay offs.

There is no concrete evidence to suggest what Brawn is saying is right. What Im saying here is I dont think any of the teams are to blame, or wether the "others cheat" as you put.

My point here is the wording of the RRA is lax, and that some read into it far more than others.
When it comes to this soprt of thing it should be far more strongly worded.

We hear it being a "glide path" of regression. Well Mercedes have made a mockery of that by going on a recruitment drive, havent they?

So naturally you have them spending more.

Red Bull allegedly ran very close to their 2009 budget in 2010, a few quid short of matching it.
The proposed reductions of the RRA havent had the desired effect as teams are still spending now what they did in 2010.

My point is why have an initiative if its not going to be uniformly implemented.

Mercedes intentions of running 450 staff was inline with the RRA. Do you seem them moaning about them having adhered to it and others not so literally?
Nope.

So despite what you may think I think, I feel it is the FIA's job to write better rules regarding the governance of finances rather than me thinking its the "others that cheat".

Hope that clears it up for you.
You missed the point. The others all employ 550 without breaching the RRA, so all teams adhered to the RRA. Mercedes only employed 450 and are now ramping up to 550, so they either (a)misinterpreted the RRA rules on headcount or (b)thought they were that bit more clever than everyone else and believed their 450 would beat the other teams' 550. I see no evidence that Merc adhered closer to it wile others were more liberal. Either way the management didn't do everything possible to be competitive. Your long monologue on unclear rules is valid in many areas but when speaking of the RRA it seems a little disingenuous when the top three teams were all able to zero in on the 550 headcount number. The W02 is simply not a car MERCEDES BENZ should produce and there are no valid excuse, I only want to hear " We WILL DO BETTER next year". Your constant attempts to make excuses for Brawn and the team only irritate most of us Merc fans on here. I want results not a bunch of BS excuses from JET. Right now team deserves criticism, if they hear their fans or worse their management constantly making excuses what drive to get better is there? So please JET, if you really support this team, do like Marcus, and drop the excuses and take off the blinders. I feel that my 2nd favorite team is in dire need of help and I can only hope Bob Bell will start to bring that help by getting the teams head out of the clouds and coming up with solid fundamental concepts instead of a wheelbase a kilometer shorter than everyone else, stacked radiators because the car is woefully short on cooling etc.
Sorry if I come off as an a#$, but I want results from Merc and especially Rosberg and when people make all the excuses for the team, it reminds me of Honda and I just start feel like Nico will never get the car his talents deserve. I think Nico could be up there with Vettel, maybe not Fred/Lewis quality but definitely Vettel quality.
Last edited by Pierce89 on 26 Aug 2011, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

xpensive
xpensive

Truer words never spoken, thank you Pierce.

Pierce89

xpensive wrote:Truer words never spoken, thank you Pierce.
My pleasure. I can't stand the thought of Rosbergs career being being buried in uncompetitive machinery. Or Merc's name.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

marcush.
marcush.

Re: Mercedes GP 2011

my fears exactly.
I´m not bashing Brawn or Mercedes cos I find a special pleasure in this .No ,not at all.
My itch is really that from outside their deficits were visible and screaming loud and clear already in 2009..and I remember well that one f1_eng forum member slashed out at me for being just too stupid to understand that Brawn were in fact on top of their game...
Frankly speaking ..history has proven him wrong and in year 2011 the team has not overcome the issues ,even though nobody is talking of tyre issues anymore it is rather obvious that Brawn was catching the wrong elephant in the last years (weight distribution ,tyre temps you name it.)the team lacks application ,not expertise and that is clearly a lack of technical leadership,manifested in a car that looks like it was not going to be ever ready to race but -as Michael in friendly words put it:it is work in progress on several areas....nough said.
I don´t want to hear excuses or explanations why it cannot work .I want to hear what their next steps are and when they will happen.
To me the issuing of a statement we will introduce minor steps this year is utter nonsense.Stop right now or blast forward pull out all stops and risks to learn what you miss.The new design will not rectify the problems you were unable to solve in 2 and a half years just by starting from a fresh screen -this time Catia V5 R19 OEM "Startmodell"......(to allow Mercedes Cars to join the party).

xpensive
xpensive

marcush. wrote: ...
To me the issuing of a statement we will introduce minor steps this year is utter nonsense.Stop right now or blast forward pull out all stops and risks to learn what you miss.The new design will not rectify the problems you were unable to solve in 2 and a half years just by starting from a fresh screen -this time Catia V5 R19 OEM "Startmodell"......(to allow Mercedes Cars to join the party).
Now when the team seems to have lost the 2011 plot, with MS 0.2s behind the FIs at his "home-track", Mercedes cars' involvement for 2012 will be interesting to follow. Surely Daimler cannot possibly allow for another year like this without consequences?

Morteza

Man, this team is hopeless! It would be acceptable if they had started a new team from scratch and get no satisfying results. They've be fooled as it seems with Brawn winning both championships in 2009. The only time BAR/Honda produced somehow decent cars was in 2004 and 2006. At that time they had Geoff Willis as their designer. Sauber was another option which Mercedes neglected if they were that ambitious for coming back to formula1. But the 2009 championship winning was something they could buy and turn out to be up with the top teams from the beginning which didn't happen. Anyway, the car is not much of an improvement from last year(I don't think it can be even called an improvement). They are stuck with this SWB car and giving excuses that we would have done this and that had we been to start again. I don't buy this excuses. There's a saying which says "One who is good at making excuses is seldom good at anything else". I have come to believe this is the case with Mercedes GP. What input could Daimler put into this team? They have no F1 experience. Can they produce a decent car for 2012 without making up excuses again? I highly doubt about it. 2012 won't be much different in my opinion. Having Bob Bell is a positive sign, but I don't think he is the key solution to all Mercedes GP problems. I wouldn't tolerate another fruitless season if I were Dailmer.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

marcush.
marcush.

In fact buying saubers assets would have really closed the circle ...Sauber was originally committing to F1 on the assumption Mercedes would commit as well only to learn they lacked confidence and put concept by Mercedes stickers on iot only..
Now with Brawn basically preparing his own rocket launch ,the question must be why they bought the Brawn outfit that was already bled out. for a sum they could have aquired Sauber ...a more modern up to date outfit worthy of a worksteam status.

marcush.
marcush.

Isn´t it fitting that exactly now as it counts Mercedes is dropping the ball? Not even a sinle timed lap on your anniversary race..bravo.At least Schu will have all brand new tyres tomorrow.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Did Schumi --- up?????I missed the crash. Did he miss the breaking point,hit a damp patch???What happened??

marcush.
marcush.

The car lost a wheel ..just when I wrote things don´t happen twice at Mercedes..They still have that issue with rear wheels getting undone...

wunderkind
wunderkind

marcush. wrote:In fact buying saubers assets would have really closed the circle ...Sauber was originally committing to F1 on the assumption Mercedes would commit as well only to learn they lacked confidence and put concept by Mercedes stickers on iot only..
Now with Brawn basically preparing his own rocket launch ,the question must be why they bought the Brawn outfit that was already bled out. for a sum they could have aquired Sauber ...a more modern up to date outfit worthy of a worksteam status.

Buying the Sauber team was never on the table as Mercedes had deep concerns about picking up the ex-BMW assets. Both Mercedes and Sauber were mindful of the legacy issues. There was going to be some bad PR to deal with such a deal. Also, I believe the severance agreement between BMW and Sauber forbade Mercedes and VAG from acquiring the team.

Mercedes Benz's decision to buy Brawn was based purely on the cost/benefit analysis. Also, Only Brawn could have brought Schumacher onboard to make it the German Dream Team that is yet to realized.

Regarding the qualifying performance today. WTF happened??!!

marcush.
marcush.

I don´t think BMW could stipulate anything when Sauber saved what BMW left over.But ok ,I accept we would not have seen Scumacher in that scenario.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Pierce89 wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Im sorry you dont like it.

Certain restrictions were put in place, like team size.
Unless you outsourced less in which case you could incorporate higher numbers.This was to circumvent Mad Max plan of 40 million budgets and en masse lay offs.

There is no concrete evidence to suggest what Brawn is saying is right. What Im saying here is I dont think any of the teams are to blame, or wether the "others cheat" as you put.

My point here is the wording of the RRA is lax, and that some read into it far more than others.
When it comes to this soprt of thing it should be far more strongly worded.

We hear it being a "glide path" of regression. Well Mercedes have made a mockery of that by going on a recruitment drive, havent they?

So naturally you have them spending more.

Red Bull allegedly ran very close to their 2009 budget in 2010, a few quid short of matching it.
The proposed reductions of the RRA havent had the desired effect as teams are still spending now what they did in 2010.

My point is why have an initiative if its not going to be uniformly implemented.

Mercedes intentions of running 450 staff was inline with the RRA. Do you seem them moaning about them having adhered to it and others not so literally?
Nope.

So despite what you may think I think, I feel it is the FIA's job to write better rules regarding the governance of finances rather than me thinking its the "others that cheat".

Hope that clears it up for you.
You missed the point. The others all employ 550 without breaching the RRA, so all teams adhered to the RRA. Mercedes only employed 450 and are now ramping up to 550, so they either (a)misinterpreted the RRA rules on headcount or (b)thought they were that bit more clever than everyone else and believed their 450 would beat the other teams' 550. I see no evidence that Merc adhered closer to it wile others were more liberal. Either way the management didn't do everything possible to be competitive. Your long monologue on unclear rules is valid in many areas but when speaking of the RRA it seems a little disingenuous when the top three teams were all able to zero in on the 550 headcount number. The W02 is simply not a car MERCEDES BENZ should produce and there are no valid excuse, I only want to hear " We WILL DO BETTER next year". Your constant attempts to make excuses for Brawn and the team only irritate most of us Merc fans on here. I want results not a bunch of BS excuses from JET. Right now team deserves criticism, if they hear their fans or worse their management constantly making excuses what drive to get better is there? So please JET, if you really support this team, do like Marcus, and drop the excuses and take off the blinders. I feel that my 2nd favorite team is in dire need of help and I can only hope Bob Bell will start to bring that help by getting the teams head out of the clouds and coming up with solid fundamental concepts instead of a wheelbase a kilometer shorter than everyone else, stacked radiators because the car is woefully short on cooling etc.
Sorry if I come off as an a#$, but I want results from Merc and especially Rosberg and when people make all the excuses for the team, it reminds me of Honda and I just start feel like Nico will never get the car his talents deserve. I think Nico could be up there with Vettel, maybe not Fred/Lewis quality but definitely Vettel quality.

I dont get what you mean by Vettel quality. Vettel is probably 2 rungs ahead of Lewis in terms of pure qualifying side. Having said they he has done nothing great when he has started out of the front row.But he is a fantastic racer none the less,very quick ,maybe just not THE BEST in Formula 1 at the present.

mep

I have not watched qualy but seems I have not missed anything when this shitbox can't even last for 1 lap.
At least it is funny to watch automotive companies making fools of themselves in F1.