2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Brundle junior seems to think McLaren and Red Bull engine modes yesterday were similar.

Xero

BMMR61 wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 08:39
Xero wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 02:43
CjC wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 21:26
Mark thinks its advantage Red Bull
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... undertone/
As usual with Mark Hughes, his arguments are always blinkered to a single perspective. Mentions how much time Max lost during his lap, on the assumption Lando's was perfect. Watching the onboard it was far from it. #-o
Is there a more reliable pundit? His assumptions usually end up close to he mark (no pun intended). If we look at how Checo is close to the mix it does appear for the time being that RedBull are managing this group of tyres on this track at these temperatures slightly better than McLaren. It looks so close that it could easily change tomorrow.

Unusually Mark didn't do a long stint analysis, maybe it was because the drivers were having to cool their tyres down every second lap, but Lando looked pretty good on this measure. FP3 will give greater insight, hopefully the team can dial #81 to Oscar's liking in time for Q1/2/3.
He's good at relaying information from the pits, but it's the opinionated pieces that are really hit and miss for me. He has been notorious for downplaying McLaren over the years, definitely holds a grudge for whatever reason.

After watching FP3 it validates what I was saying, he assumed only Max had time in the bag. Ridiculous.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I wonder what are people thinking now?

VER was clearly unhappy with his run, he even tried to do another hotlap but locked up into T1.

Perez also nowhere.

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 13:36

VER was clearly unhappy with his run, he even tried to do another hotlap but locked up into T1.

Perez also nowhere.
Let's see what the picture looks like after quali. But even then, what matters is tomorrow. No unstable weather to throw them off this time. If they start with a front-row lockout, at least a win should not slip. If they manage to fumble it again somehow it would impressive.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

FittingMechanics wrote:

Perez also nowhere.
McLaren is strong with two cars. That's encouraging.

BMMR61

Key difference today is track temperature - massive drop! Yesterday 59 degrees, today 39 dropping to 37 at the end. I only saw the live timing but it looked like it was all Lando in sectors 1 and 2, Oscar in sector 3. Come on!

Xero

FittingMechanics wrote:

Perez also nowhere.
The Red Bull looked very loose on the rear, Mercedes even more so. That onboard with Lando looked incredible! It looks like the McLarens will have confidence to really push come qualifying. First time this season McLaren are a clear favourite? Feels that way!

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:

Perez also nowhere.
Sensible things. Don't write RB off, wait for quali. Take it with joy if we are ahead.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BMMR61 wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 13:42
Key difference today is track temperature - massive drop! Yesterday 59 degrees, today 39 dropping to 37 at the end. I only saw the live timing but it looked like it was all Lando in sectors 1 and 2, Oscar in sector 3. Come on!
Landos lap was great but had a bit of oversteer in last turn where he lost time. Piastri was clean in S3 which gained him time back to Norris.

Davidson and Rosberg were gushing about the lap and the car, that it looked almost perfect.

Verstappen doesn't seem perfect, was wide in T1 and the car was a bit more nervous in S2. But it is possible he will deliver when needed, they are working on it.

Mercedes and Ferrari seem to be off.

McLaren vs Verstappen for pole.

_cerber1

BMMR61

FittingMechanics wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 13:55
BMMR61 wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 13:42
Landos lap was great but had a bit of oversteer in last turn where he lost time. Piastri was clean in S3 which gained him time back to Norris.

Davidson and Rosberg were gushing about the lap and the car, that it looked almost perfect.

Verstappen doesn't seem perfect, was wide in T1 and the car was a bit more nervous in S2. But it is possible he will deliver when needed, they are working on it.

Mercedes and Ferrari seem to be off.

McLaren vs Verstappen for pole.
Don't write off Piastri for pole, he has done what he often does - chip away after a mediocre Friday and do the quick laps when it counts, a very good qualifier but up against two "quicks"!

I liked the response Stella gave to Brundle when asked about the post Silverstone debriefs.
https://www.planetf1.com/news/mclaren-b ... team-claim

Emag
Emag

Lando seems to have left some time on the table on the first two corners as well. Verstappen is the best through those corners, but Oscar is not so far behind him. Lando on the other hand lost 0.17s to Max there. Also the snap out of the last corner is easily visible on the delta. Lost about 0.15s to Oscar there as well.

Power units seem to be about the same level, so there's not much in terms of gap on that area. But there is time to gain for McLaren boys if they both nail the laps. Oscar needs to find a little bit more in S2, and Lando needs to hook up the first couple of corners and avoid mistakes on the last one.

Lucky
Lucky

Rain is possible in qualifying.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 14:13
Lando seems to have left some time on the table on the first two corners as well. Verstappen is the best through those corners, but Oscar is not so far behind him. Lando on the other hand lost 0.17s to Max there. Also the snap out of the last corner is easily visible on the delta. Lost about 0.15s to Oscar there as well.

Power units seem to be about the same level, so there's not much in terms of gap on that area. But there is time to gain for McLaren boys if they both nail the laps. Oscar needs to find a little bit more in S2, and Lando needs to hook up the first couple of corners and avoid mistakes on the last one.
In the second corner, Max loses all the time he gained from the first corner and that trait is consistent across his laps.

Looks tight between Mclaren and Red Bull.
Last edited by mwillems on 20 Jul 2024, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky