2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Lucky wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 14:31
4 KPH to Verstappen. About the same difference in the low speed corners, where we are consistently faster. That cornering 4kph is a bigger gain to lap time than the 4kph with DRS open. Significantly bigger. But a lot of folk will look at that DRS number and think there is an issue.

Worth stating, that as usual, along the straights we are as fast as RB and Merc until the last fifth of the straight when the drag starts to impact acceleration. Which is, again, why that number is meaningless. It'd be better to post charts with average minimum speeds through the different corner types and the average speed of the whole of the straight.

This would be a much better reflection of how the balance affects speed and lap time.
Last edited by mwillems on 20 Jul 2024, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Mclaren is not clear favourite.

My money is on Max. Hopefully will be close.

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 14:37
Lucky wrote:
4 KPH to Verstappen. About the same difference in the low speed corners, where we are consistently faster. That 4kph is a bigger gain to lap time than the 4kph with DRS open. Significantly bigger. But a lot of folk will look at that number and think there is an issue.

Worth stating, that as usual, along the straights we are as fast as RB and Merc until the last fifth of the straight when the drag starts to impact acceleration. Which is, again, why that number is meaningless. It'd be better to post charts with average minimum speeds through the different corner types and the average speed of the whole of the straight.

This would be a much better reflection of how the balance affects speed and lap time.
The maximum speed is not so important on the lap time, but it makes it very difficult to overtake in the race.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 14:38
Mclaren is not clear favourite.

My money is on Max. Hopefully will be close.
It's tight.

-Bandit

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 14:39
mwillems wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 14:37
Lucky wrote:
4 KPH to Verstappen. About the same difference in the low speed corners, where we are consistently faster. That 4kph is a bigger gain to lap time than the 4kph with DRS open. Significantly bigger. But a lot of folk will look at that number and think there is an issue.

The maximum speed is not so important on the lap time, but it makes it very difficult to overtake in the race.
It's very difficult to overtake here anyway. So they are setting it up for tyres and for cornering to help them be faster in the race in a way that is more productive and meaningful. The point I make is that the speed is a reflection of the setup balance, not the cars capabilities and that number alone is largely pointless.

But I am now starting to think that part of the reason this team consistently set up the car with higher downforce is precisely because it isn't as kind on the tyres as they would like.

-Bandit

willmesquita

P1/P2 will be Papaya.
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone. ― Bruce McLaren

papayaorange.com.br

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

No matter how qualifying goes, the fact that the car is fast all round is good. I have more questions about the pure speed at Spa and Monza than here.

Ir3NiCuS
Ir3NiCuS

Started to rain

mwillems

This is our average minimum speeds in the corners. The average speed through the corners is more dramatic as we spend much less time at the minimum speed, essentially carrying more speed in and out too. We are looking very nice in the corners. These speeds are a little less impacted by engine modes but could be reflective of a lighter car. Corner 1 is the exception, where RB hit a lower minimum speed, but carry a lot more speed for the rest of the corner for a net gain.

Actual minimal speeds per corner.

Last edited by mwillems on 20 Jul 2024, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

organic

Ir3NiCuS wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 15:03
Started to rain
Mercedes masterclass incoming

mwillems

Ir3NiCuS wrote:
Started to rain
If we have more DF, this may be to our benefit.

Hopefully we can have a repeat of performance of Silverstone's mixed conditions, where we were easily the best.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

organic wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 15:08
Ir3NiCuS wrote:
Started to rain
Mercedes masterclass incoming
Let's see what new ways McLaren can find out to f*ck things up.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
20 Jul 2024, 15:06
This is our average minimum speeds in the corners. The average speed through the corners is more dramatic as we spend much less time at the minimum speed, essentially carrying more speed in and out too. We are looking very nice in the corners. These speeds are a little less impacted by engine modes but could be reflective of a lighter car. Corner 1 is the exception, where RB hit a lower minimum speed, but carry a lot more speed for the rest of the corner for a net gain.

https://i.ibb.co/5T7GysZ/Minimum-Speeds-in-Corners.png

Actual minimal speeds per corner.

https://i.ibb.co/R6J2CcJ/Minimum-corner-speeds.png
Thank you. Nice table. The second sector is the most advantageous for us so far. In rainy conditions everything can change.

mclaren111

Let's Go Lando !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

This is probably soft in Q1.

The track is hot, it will dry off.