2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For the record, Multi 21 is a setting on the steering wheel. It will be a configuration defined by the team which will include things like fuel mixture and engine maps. It's nothing to do with car numbers, nothing to do with overtaking, and nothing to do with team orders.

Once again, people are blurring the line between team orders and an instruction from a race engineer. Vettel doesn't deserve any praise from ignoring instructions from his race engineer.

Nando
Nando

It was clear he made the decision to take the points and later just take on the criticism because at the end of the day he bagged 7 more points then what he should have gotten.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

hollus

GrizzleBoy wrote:If Lewis had been told to drive to certain deltas the whole race which resulted in him hardly having enough fuel to finish the race without crawling, wouldn't Nico also effectively have won third through team orders of a different kind?

Those orders being to tell Lewis to drive in a way that caused him to be out of juice and vulnerable to his team mate.

Thoughts?
Driving to a time delta makes you save fuel, now waste it. You coast a bit more, you spend less time on the throttle if you want, you can lower your fuel mix, you avoid small corrections mid-corner that waste the speed you built before by using fuel. There is no need to have lower corner exit speeds because of the delta, and that's the only thing that would cost fuel.

I think that Hamilton (and possibly also Rosberg) were marginal because the team made a call that made sense a priori. The race started in the wet, and the likelihood of either a safety car or more rain was very high. So you underfuel a bit and start lighter, helping you in the first part of the race where most positions are lost or gained. As it was, the race was 95% dry and in the end they had to back off, which cost them nothing. They wouldn't have been in the tail of the Red Bulls if they had started the race with 5 Kg more of fuel and they simply gave back the 0.1 - 0.2 seconds per lap (plus tire life) they gained in the rest of the race.
Rivals, not enemies.

Redragon

For me Newey telling off Vettel on the podium in front of the cameras.
A correct man and really measure with his words and character says it all.

Ray

I'm surprised Red Bull just don't come out and say "EFF Mark Webber". Because they do it every weekend. Blows me away that he resigned with them knowing they would screw him at every opportunity, that moron Helmut Marko would badmouth him every chance they get, and Seb would be all indignant if Mark didn't let him through but be surprised when he screwed him over in return. Red Bull is a joke. I wouldn't have any issue with them if they were upfront about it, but every single one of them that gets in front of a camera is a slimy liar.

JMN
JMN

MWcrazyhorse wrote:
JMN wrote:
f1universe wrote:Ferrari was painful to watch, Massa was invisible and Alonso had very bad luck, I saw wings with better damage staying 10 laps on the car without falling.
You can't be serious, the wing was hanging on half a pylon while scraping the road. Fernando drove brilliantly to defend his position, but staying out for a relatively minor gain by delaying the tire change will never stack up to the risks associated with running a dangling front wing. It doesn't matter whether it was Fernando or the team that made the call - it was a bad and risk prone decision all the same.
Well said captain hindsight.
On the other hand the track was wet while the racing line was much dryer. Hence overtaking much more difficult, if not impossible. Directly after the start if you can keep the field behind you and there are no gaps to close in, whilst you would end up last after switching tires and needing to change again 5 laps into the race onto slicks when the track dries more.
Good time to gamble. But you don't always win.
Fair enough, hindsight is the privilege of the armchair strategist. I'm not sure why that partout makes me the captain, as I'm sure you'll agree the vast majority of all fan discussion is based on hindsight. Be that as it may, should you gamble when loosing means loosing the ability to play? That was in essence the decision. If you have nothing to loose, i.e. Rounders and Matt Damon with his back against the wall after loosing his pot from the first round to KGB decides to put everything on a gut feeling about KGB's tell, then go ahead - you can't come out worse of. The Ferrari pit wall accepted a gamble on a situation, which (in hindsight) are clear-cut scenarios for risk avoidance or mitigation. From a management perspective, a weighted risk assessment (accepting a gamble) should never come into play if you run the risk of loosing the ability to play.
For the sake of argument and perspective, it's interesting (in hindsight) to compare to McLarens pit crew operations last year. The new nuts and operational changes offered a significant gain in terms of pit stop time. I believe the Sam Michael was quoted for saying the average in training was sub 2.5s. The problem was the outliers - outliers which in the grander perspective of a full race at times dropped their cars out of contention. The accepted a gamble at the the risk of loosing the ability to play. It took significant risk mitigation initiatives in the form of control mechanisms and routines for it to actually improve competitiveness.
TLDR: Don't gamble in operations if loosing means loosing the ability to play. That recommendation works prescriptively by the way, not just in hindsight.

Just for reference, here is Domenicali's evaluation
The team had hoped he could continue until it was time to pit for dry tyres.

"We took a risk that didn't pay off," admitted Domenicali.

"After the touch, the race was not over and I considered the situation where there was a transition from wet to dry.

"In normal conditions you would come in, but in this transition, if you believe the wing can survive, you try and bide your time. You may have the chance to pit to change to the dry tyres and be the hero of the weekend.
Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106346
beelsebob wrote: This incident actually highlights something I've been wondering for a while. The black and orange flag exists precisely for when drivers have dangerous cars. Surely the FIA should be a bit more proactive in getting the flag out as soon as a car is in a dangerous state. In many situations it would make no difference, as the team would bring the car straight in anyway. Every so often, it might prevent a major accident.
Agree, going +250kph with a wing in tatters does seem overly hazardous. I imagine operationalizing it could be an issue in terms of eliminating the possibility of false positives. Vettel in Abu Dhabi 2012 comes to mind as a situation, which were under control but could have been deemed hazardous.

Ray

Diesel wrote:For the record, Multi 21 is a setting on the steering wheel. It will be a configuration defined by the team which will include things like fuel mixture and engine maps. It's nothing to do with car numbers, nothing to do with overtaking, and nothing to do with team orders.

Once again, people are blurring the line between team orders and an instruction from a race engineer. Vettel doesn't deserve any praise from ignoring instructions from his race engineer.
For the record, you obviously didn't see them talking in the room before the podium. Mark clearly said that multi21 wasn't just an engine mapping setting. Unless you know for a fact, verifiably, that it means nothing else then you're just warping reality to fit your opinion. Multi21 means something more than change engine mapping to save fuel, it's a hold station order that Seb obviously ignored to benefit himself knowing nothing will happen to him because Red Bull screws Mark at every opportunity.

siskue2005

Ray wrote:
Diesel wrote:For the record, Multi 21 is a setting on the steering wheel. It will be a configuration defined by the team which will include things like fuel mixture and engine maps. It's nothing to do with car numbers, nothing to do with overtaking, and nothing to do with team orders.

For the record, you obviously didn't see them talking in the room before the podium. Mark clearly said that multi21 wasn't just an engine mapping setting. Unless you know for a fact, verifiably, that it means nothing else then you're just warping reality to fit your opinion. Multi21 means something more than change engine mapping to save fuel, it's a hold station order that Seb obviously ignored to benefit himself knowing nothing will happen to him because Red Bull screws Mark at every opportunity.
and you know this for a fact? that Multi21 is infact team order code? any source?
Last edited by siskue2005 on 24 Mar 2013, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.

stefan_
stefan_

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Ray

siskue2005 wrote: and you know this for a fact? that Multi21 is infact team order code? any source?
Yeah, the look on Webbers face, and his body language.

Juzh

Ray wrote:
siskue2005 wrote: and you know this for a fact? that Multi21 is infact team order code? any source?
JMN wrote:During the race a number of (admittedly team related) explanations for "multi 21" were offered in the race thread with some suggesting it was an internal code for the team order "car 2 ahead of car 1". It appears this is not the case.

Rather, it is the designation for the multi-map.
Source: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/red-bull-rb9/:
A hugely controversial race result at Sepang was all down to team orders. Both Vettel and Webber were told to switch the multi map to setting 21 “multi 21″, Webber did so but Vettel did not. The multi-map is a pre-programmable, driver selectable feature of the MES std ECU, on the RB9 the adjustment is on the right hand side of the steering wheel (below – on setting 4)
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... uprb94.jpg
Here you go. Multi 21 does not specify directly which car should stay in front.

siskue2005

Ray wrote:
you mean ur intuition from someone body language is a credible source? :shock:

Formula one fan
Formula one fan

Nando wrote:It was clear he made the decision to take the points and later just take on the criticism because at the end of the day he bagged 7 more points then what he should have gotten.
And let's be honest with each other. Wouldn't Fernando Alonso, who is arguably the most popular driver on this board done the same thing in this situation? I can't stand team orders. All those times you see poor Philippe Massa moving over to let Alonso pass. I know a lot of you don't care for Vettel but he def made the last part of the race way more interesting and also gave us something to talk about for the next 3 weeks until the Chinese Grand Prix! I wish Nico Rosberg had disobeyed his team orders! Could you imagine what all the Hamilton fans would have been saying! And to everyone saying that Mark Webber will remember this, he has never done any favors for Vettel so really I don't think this will make any difference. I'm sure everyone remembers brazil 2012....

siskue2005

Juzh wrote:
Ray wrote:
JMN wrote:During the race a number of (admittedly team related) explanations for "multi 21" were offered in the race thread with some suggesting it was an internal code for the team order "car 2 ahead of car 1". It appears this is not the case.

Rather, it is the designation for the multi-map.
Source: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/cars/red-bull-rb9/:
A hugely controversial race result at Sepang was all down to team orders. Both Vettel and Webber were told to switch the multi map to setting 21 “multi 21″, Webber did so but Vettel did not. The multi-map is a pre-programmable, driver selectable feature of the MES std ECU, on the RB9 the adjustment is on the right hand side of the steering wheel (below – on setting 4)
http://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp-c ... uprb94.jpg
Here you go. Multi 21 does not specify directly which car should stay in front.
=D> =D>

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Ray wrote:

Source his confirmation of this please? Otherwise leave this TECHNICAL forum for good, because this place is filled with poeple that understand this technology, and multi-map settings on the McLaren standard ECU are fact.

Fanatics :roll: