McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Emag
Emag

Re: McLaren MCL38

SSJ4 wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 19:04
That looks so wonky :lol:

I guess if it works it won’t matter, but it seems strange that a front wing is this versatile. I would assume that part is critical for the flow downstream. Although it does seem the outboard section is a little bit more loaded, so it’s not just a straight up “bite” of the old FW

mwillems

I think the AoA settings and camera angle may make it look more loaded, but I suspect this will look more normal once the elements are set up for the GP. That top element is almost standing up in this picture, most likely put back on at some point with no attempts to lower it and because the new picture was taken from a higher vantage. You can tell in part from the thickness of the black carbon edge around the element, which is bigger because it is more face on to the camera whereas the black carbon on the side is the same thickness.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

continuum16

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 11:34
CjC wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 10:46
Don’t think we have seen a low downforce rear wing like that before with the rounded ends from anyone else?
In 2022 Alfa Romeo had triangular cut on their flap tips :)

As far as I can tell, McLaren's wing is very close to frontal area of Ferrari in the main span, but tips are slightly smaller. The main difference is camber of the whole wing, you can't see the slot on McLaren wing which tells us it's obscured by the leading edge of main element
Sauber themselves had an evolution of the 2022 wing that they ran in Monza and Vegas 2023, flatter main plane and straighter DRS flap like the new McLaren one. New McLaren wing seems very similar in shape to me, except for the "detached" nature of the endplate connection popular for the last year or so. Different radius on the endplate connection to main plane but similar general concept, just less elegant.

Not the exact same but this is as close as it comes I think. Picture angle here makes the Alfa one look more loaded than it was IIRC.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Vanja #66

SSJ4 wrote:
They surely have a proper Monza spec too, both of those wings are way too big
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 20:30
SSJ4 wrote:
They do have one of, if not the biggest front wing on the grid. One has to wonder if there’s a limitation there and they just can’t go lower.

Edit: Although to be honest on a second look, judging by how less skewed the chrome logo is, it does seem like the photo was taken from a higher perspective. I think it will look flatter from a frontal view.

Waz
Waz

Or it flexes enough that allows them to run it so "big". Isn't that the whole point of a flexi wing? Best of both worlds

mwillems

They haven't brought a more outboard loaded front wing to Monza, it's just angles. You can clearly see the main plane of the first pic is pointing up vs down in the second, placing the second wing more face on to the viewer.

-Bandit

Huggles
Huggles

SSJ4 wrote:
Didn't RedBull do something like this on the rear wing earlier this year or am I misremembering?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Emag wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 20:42
Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Aug 2024, 20:30
SSJ4 wrote:
They do have one of, if not the biggest front wing on the grid. One has to wonder if there’s a limitation there and they just can’t go lower.

Edit: Although to be honest on a second look, judging by how less skewed the chrome logo is, it does seem like the photo was taken from a higher perspective. I think it will look flatter from a frontal view.
Bottom (new photo) is taken with the front wing on that stand next to the pit box. Wings there stand at a big angle compared to being mounted on the car.

Darth-Piekus

What do we have in terms of upgrades for Monza?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 10:58
From car submission document:
High Cooling Front Brake Duct - circuit specific
New Front Wing Flap - circuit specific
New Sidepod Shape - performance

Not sure why the new rear wing is not listed. Maybe they tested it in a FP in Spa?

Emag
Emag

FittingMechanics wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 11:05
Darth-Piekus wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 10:58
From car submission document:
High Cooling Front Brake Duct - circuit specific
New Front Wing Flap - circuit specific
New Sidepod Shape - performance

Not sure why the new rear wing is not listed. Maybe they tested it in a FP in Spa?
Also, new sidepod shape? I didn’t see any difference on the cars shown yesterday. Will keep an eye out on free practice.

mclaren111

mwillems

It's the engine cover specifically. I only noticed the louvres at the time.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
30 Aug 2024, 12:01
It's the engine cover specifically. I only noticed the louvres at the time.
McLaren would list that part under engine cover changes as they have done in the past, whereas here they specifically list the sidepod shape as the updated component.

Also, the cooling louvres are not considered an update. They are opened and closed according to the cooling demands of the circuit.