2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
MrGapes

Re: 2022 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

geogate wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 23:24
this is an absolute treat - looking at the MP4/4 with the guys that designed and built it. Some great old Mclaren boys telling stories
beautiful!

diffuser

MrGapes wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 02:15
diffuser wrote:
15 Dec 2022, 20:06
MrGapes wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 01:24

Saw a post where Stella said they are expanding the Aerodynamics team, they know the weaknesses they have, a lot of it is because of the infrastructure, but believes bringing in more people will help.
I read that two of them went to Alpine ...

Matthew Gibbons - composites design engineer left Williams for Alpine.

Craig Burrow - composites design engineer left Williams for Alpine also.

Didn't hear of anyone going to McLaren.

It was also reported by BlackOpts that Alpine have acquired a VTT (Virtual Test Track). McLaren rents space at AVL in Graz for the VTT.

No mention if Aston has one. I'd presume not. If they don't, they'll likely be getting one as soon as they have space with all the construction going on. They are spending money like a drunken sailor.
I’m pretty sure Red Bull also use the one in Graz
I would expect RBR and the top three to have their own.

MrGapes

https://f1i.autojournal.fr/magazine/mag ... rd/#item=9

The first article I have read about the MCL36 that is quite accurate about its strengths and short comings..

Also: "The new wind tunnel, whose construction was delayed by the Covid pandemic in 2020, has just been completed and is in the process of being calibrated. It is therefore the 2024 single-seater that will benefit from it."

ScottR267
ScottR267

Emag
Emag

If Honda came back and actually poured money into the partnership to work together with McLaren on all performance related topics (basically joining forces with them), then that's the only way I can see this thing as a positive for McLaren.

If they come back with McLaren simply as a power unit supplier, then the imbalance induced by the power unit change as well as the extra effort needed to integrate that new engine is definitely not worth ditching Mercedes.

Even if Honda (or RBPT) has the best engine at the moment, the difference is not big enough to justify all that trouble. McLaren needs stability to develop on their platform. They have to come up with a concept that can bring the fight to the top first before worrying about power units.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Emag wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 00:12
If Honda came back and actually poured money into the partnership to work together with McLaren on all performance related topics (basically joining forces with them), then that's the only way I can see this thing as a positive for McLaren.

If they come back with McLaren simply as a power unit supplier, then the imbalance induced by the power unit change as well as the extra effort needed to integrate that new engine is definitely not worth ditching Mercedes.

Even if Honda (or RBPT) has the best engine at the moment, the difference is not big enough to justify all that trouble. McLaren needs stability to develop on their platform. They have to come up with a concept that can bring the fight to the top first before worrying about power units.
Realistically, Mclaren are going to need a clean sheet design and architecture for '26. Switching to Honda might make sense.
A lion must kill its prey.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 00:12

This is for the new engine regs. All engines will be different so it is not so important as to how much effort it is to integrate the engine.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

djos

geogate wrote:
this is an absolute treat - looking at the MP4/4 with the guys that designed and built it. Some great old Mclaren boys telling stories
I've always loved the MP4/4, just a stunning car! 😍
"In downforce we trust"

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I didn't read the article, but I do know from past experience, the judge is probably the most unreliable and clickbait F1 website. They literally make things up and have misleading headlines. I'm not sure at the moment there's anything to these links, they are just hedging bets and probably they themselves are the creators of said rumour.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Ground Effect wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 11:45
I didn't read the article, but I do know from past experience, the judge is probably the most unreliable and clickbait F1 website. They literally make things up and have misleading headlines. I'm not sure at the moment there's anything to these links, they are just hedging bets and probably they themselves are the creators of said rumour.
Don’t dispute at all what you are saying mate- tend to agree.

Was more just for a point of discussion for the forum.

Darth-Piekus

If Honda wants to join as a works team with Mclaren I would say to welcome them back.Ron Dennis and the previous leadership are not here anymore and neither is Alonso.You never know.Third times the charm.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Being Hondas default partner would be superb news and I personally believe both teams would love an opportunity to right the wrongs of 2015 and consign it to history.

However, as per above, I haven’t seen any evidence or any seemingly legitimate rumours.

What I would say however is that the circumstances are aligning, with Honda keen to stay, Red Bull effectively having divorced them for 2026 and building their own, and nothing concrete about a full Honda team.

McLaren would be a very obvious choice, but all these are currently are unconnected dots…for now!

In separate news and into next year, I’m interested to see how we go as a Mercedes customer and whether we- and the other Merc teams- can get anywhere close to RBR and Ferrari in a straight line. I’m fairly certain it is down to drag, and all PU chat suggests they are within around 5KW of each other, but second season of the freeze and the new regs should confirm once and for all

Stu

djos wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 00:36
geogate wrote:
I've always loved the MP4/4, just a stunning car! 😍
Agreed! And it looks so clean & simple; wider than the current cars but much smaller footprint.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

djos

Agreed the current cars are just way way too long!
"In downforce we trust"

aran.vtec
aran.vtec

Darth-Piekus wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 13:39
If Honda wants to join as a works team with Mclaren I would say to welcome them back.Ron Dennis and the previous leadership are not here anymore and neither is Alonso.You never know.Third times the charm.
It was Ron that campaigned to get Honda involved, Zak had not nice things to say about both of them and Honda would not have forgotten that.

Mclaren should not be worried about what PU they have and focus on building a solid car that can genuinely fight for wins before jumping around with another PU supplier.