2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 23:13
Looked like having 2 new Hard is going to be a real tactical advantage vs Max and Ferrari tomorrow
It may revolve around how well the track "rubbers in" and gives greater life to the tyres. At the moment there is consensus that it will be beyond one stop strategy - that is three sets, 2 hards and 1 mediums v 2 mediums and 1 hard set. If there is "better than expected" life then two yellow sets may be advantageous in the last stint. Red Bull always look after their tyres and so I think there won't be any advantage to take out of it, sadly.

Was there overnight rain again last night to make the track green again for the race as was the Saturday situation?

BMMR61

PikeStance wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 05:28
The key will be getting a good first lap. If we can get a similar start we had in Silverstone, then we will finish well. I am not expecting Ferrari to be a challenge or Mercedes, especially if we get off the line quickly. if our race pace has improved then this is a possibility. But this looks like a two-stopper and our race day strategy has been suspect, so that could be our undoing.
McLaren have tended to have good traction off the line but I'm not optimistic there would be any great gain to be had mugging Max as he would have plenty of opportunities following Oscar or Lando. One thing from Silverstone was McLaren made the hardest compound work very nicely, even in comparison to Max (remember Max's concerns in the restart after about five laps once Lando got the hards going?)

BTW I disagree that race day strategy has been suspect, there's been a lot of circumstance at work though I do think some split strategy just possibly could have played dividends.

BMMR61

BMMR61 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 05:45
PikeStance wrote:
The key will be getting a good first lap. If we can get a similar start we had in Silverstone, then we will finish well. I am not expecting Ferrari to be a challenge or Mercedes, especially if we get off the line quickly. if our race pace has improved then this is a possibility. But this looks like a two-stopper and our race day strategy has been suspect, so that could be our undoing.
McLaren have tended to have good traction off the line but I'm not optimistic there would be any great gain to be had mugging Max as he would have plenty of opportunities following Oscar or Lando. One thing from Silverstone was McLaren made the hardest compound work very nicely, even in comparison to Max (remember Max's concerns in the restart after about five laps once Lando got the hards going?) From memory the Japan compounds are the same hardest three as Silverstone.

BTW I disagree that race day strategy has been suspect, there's been a lot of circumstance at work though I do think some split strategy just possibly could have played dividends.

organic

BMMR61 wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 05:38
Was there overnight rain again last night to make the track green again for the race as was the Saturday situation?
There was no overnight rain this time

mwillems

PikeStance wrote:
The strategy will be massize here. With the tyre dropoff whoever pits at the right time will do very well.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2023, 20:34
Now this is interesting. We have the highest top speed with DRS closed. This bodes well for the race.

Finally! :D

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 06:39
mwillems wrote:
Now this is interesting. We have the highest top speed with DRS closed. This bodes well for the race.

Lol It doesn't make the other wing High Df, they are close. Other setup and the fact RB are using a more loaded wing add context.

-Bandit

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

We need Scenario 7! Let's go, team!

mclaren111

Let's Go Lando & Oscar... :D :D

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 06:43
LionsHeart wrote:
24 Sep 2023, 06:39
mwillems wrote:

Lol It doesn't make the other wing High Df, they are close. Other setup and the fact RB are using a more loaded wing add context.
Yes, I can be satisfied. The progress of the team is impressive.

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Think the strategy will be to start on softs for a good start and the a two stopper on the new hards

EDIT: nope, they start on mediums

mwillems

Perez had a mare. This will help us get 2 podiums.

Max and Oscar were fighting on the dirty line and Lando say, thankyou lol
Last edited by mwillems on 24 Sep 2023, 07:11, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Good start - a shame they couldn't take the lead.

Hopefully this means no one will complain that Lando is given the undercut.

EDIT: Goal has to be double podium.

mwillems

It was a good start from both drivers.

-Bandit

mwillems

We've dropped the Ferrari DRS and now they will fight each other.

Alonso on softs.

The race is opening up for us.

-Bandit