2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

.Bole wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 13:49
Do we know why people like Serra and others that we have recruited have 1+ year of gardening leave, yet DT like Cardille had less. Seems like most of engineers we get have much longer gardening than the ones we lose
Serra was full time in Mercedes until April or May I think, only since then he entered the paid leave period. Same for D'Ambrosio. Toto didn't want to end Serra's contract until it ran out. Cardille was released by Vasseur on good faith I guess, he'll have 6 months paid leave I think.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

codetower

Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 12:34
Fakepivot wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 12:25
huh, have we seen that back wing before? looks bigger than the other and also has that small dip in the middle
Same rear wing from Spa 23 and 24. What's interesting is seeing Monza front wing flaps in Baku, it may be just because of quick shipping after Monza, but if not it's something different from Ferrari

https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -wing.webp
Very curious indeed. High-ish DF rear wing, and Monza front wing... Not sure this plays well into Charles' preference, but we'll see.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

codetower wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 15:14

Very curious indeed. High-ish DF rear wing, and Monza front wing... Not sure this plays well into Charles' preference, but we'll see.
+10 front wing incoming for charles :mrgreen:

Xyz22
Xyz22

codetower wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 15:14
Vanja #66 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 12:34
Fakepivot wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 12:25
huh, have we seen that back wing before? looks bigger than the other and also has that small dip in the middle
Same rear wing from Spa 23 and 24. What's interesting is seeing Monza front wing flaps in Baku, it may be just because of quick shipping after Monza, but if not it's something different from Ferrari

https://cdn-5.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... -wing.webp
We need Leclerc to be competitive in this track or there won't be any chance of fighting for the win.

ScuderiaLeo

Fakepivot wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 15:19

+10 front wing incoming for charles :mrgreen:
Pfft, +10 is child's play. With his record, we're due for a +12 soon :lol:

Do any of the other teams have similar setups IRT FW/RW or is it just Ferrari being Ferrari?

LM10
LM10

After the masterpiece from Ferrari at Monza I hope they can silence their critics once again. The last post here going with "Ferrari being Ferrari" because of their front wing choice just reminded me why I (sadly) increasingly avoid this thread.

Anyway, if Leclerc manages to get pole he'll win this one. I think that the SF-24 only got better on the suspension side with the new upgrade package (meaning they will be able to go softer) giving them a better performance in twisty sections and over kerbs. Even with compromises Charles got pole in Monaco.

On a different note, Loic Serra becoming TD is great news. I don't think that Ferrari has ever been bad on suspension or vehicle dynamics side - rather the opposite - but it does not help if the TD decides on not paying more attention to it like Cardile did. So bringing in an engineer who's had a ton of experience in this field and making him TD is a great move - even more so thinking of 2026 and beyond.
Serra's first years of hic career were really similar to Wache's when both, being close friends, were at Michelin until Michelin's withdrawal from F1 in 2006 and then both joined BMW Sauber (Serra as Head of Vehicle Performance and Wache as performance engineer) until BMW Sauber's withdrawal from F1 in 2009. Then Wache replaced Serra as Head of Vehicle Performance and Serra joined Mercedes.
If it's true that Wache alongside of Newey has played a key part in Red Bull's performance of last year's, we can only be more excited about the upcoming years with Serrari as Ferrari TD, who I rate as highly as Wache.

Polite
Polite

LM10 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 16:32

On a different note, Loic Serra becoming TD is great news. I don't think that Ferrari has ever been bad on suspension or vehicle dynamics side
remember Aldo Costa!

ScuderiaLeo

LM10 wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 16:32
After the masterpiece from Ferrari at Monza I hope they can silence their critics once again. The last post here going with "Ferrari being Ferrari" because of their front wing choice just reminded me why I (sadly) increasingly avoid this thread.
That's a bit of a reach, implying I'm being overly negative by making a joke while also asking a legitimate question? #-o If Ferrari are running a different setup than everybody else, it's something to note and I think it's understandable people (me, in this case) would be interested in theorizing why.

However, one race is not enough to definitively say if Ferrari can match McLaren or not. In general, not regarding my last post but about all posts in this thread - being pragmatic isn't the same as being critical of the team. There's a reason why Leclerc repeatedly says every weekend that the last race's momentum may not carry over to this one.

That being said, I don't see them doing anything less than a podium here, unless there's some unknown factor we aren't seeing.

In other news, Leclerc's Thursday interview is an interesting read:

On street circuits, race management is much more in the hands of the driver. On other circuits, if you lock the wheels too much, there are no consequences, whereas on a track like this one, you can face huge consequences. I think it’s a circuit that suits our car well. Nothing makes me think we’ll be extremely fast or slow here, but we’ll be in line with the rest of the season. It’s a track I particularly like, where as a driver, during qualifying, you can take a lot of risks and gain lap time.

To think about the drivers’ championship, we first need to take a step forward in terms of performance, but I mostly think we need a bit of luck because we’re quite far off. For the constructors’ championship, everything is possible; we have a real opportunity, but before thinking about the title, we need to take a big step forward in terms of performance. McLaren is still the team to beat; if they maintain the same performances as in the last ten races, we have no chance. I hope the improvements we brought to Monza will help us for the rest of the season and that we can put more pressure on them.

I said that Baku and Singapore would be more indicative for the updates, but I talked to Fred and the team, and I think it will be the case from Austin onwards. But we’ve already started to see what the updates can bring by putting them in the car at Monza.

About Newey? I’m not disappointed, I would have been if we hadn’t tried. We spoke to Adrian as a team, but he ultimately made his choice, and I totally respect that. It’s obvious that he’s incredible for everything he’s achieved, but we have some very good individuals at Ferrari, and I believe much more in the group. I’m sure we have the right team to get back to the top.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

its not about matching McLaren, it's about being consistent, till Spain they were consistent, even in Spain I think they did best of what their car could. they should keep that momentum going. overnight they can't magically make their car 2 or 3 tenths quicker than McLaren. but if they are Consistent in their race operation, when they do have a car that maybe even half a tenth slower they can start to take wins simply coz they are operating a better Race team with driver who can maximize the car This is what I like to see..

.Bole
.Bole

People forgot that we didnt win Monza on pace but on strategy and Charle's masterpiece.
I would rather wait for Austin and see how we are in those corners.
I think we are going to be competitive on Baku, Singapore and Las Vegas. Issues will be Abu dhabi, Austin and Qatar.

CjC
CjC

Fakepivot wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 18:03
its not about matching McLaren, it's about being consistent, till Spain they were consistent, even in Spain I think they did best of what their car could. they should keep that momentum going. overnight they can't magically make their car 2 or 3 tenths quicker than McLaren. but if they are Consistent in their race operation, when they do have a car that maybe even half a tenth slower they can start to take wins simply coz they are operating a better Race team with driver who can maximize the car This is what I like to see..
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/sainz ... /10653494/
Just a fan's point of view

Space-heat
Space-heat

.Bole wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 18:32
People forgot that we didnt win Monza on pace but on strategy and Charle's masterpiece.
I would rather wait for Austin and see how we are in those corners.
I think we are going to be competitive on Baku, Singapore and Las Vegas. Issues will be Abu dhabi, Austin and Qatar.
Can the argument not be made the Mcl were better on pace as they used their tires more. I agree though we won't know the car until we run in Austin. If we can hold our own in Baku and Singapore and if the new FW in Austin gives a similar boost as Mcl in Miami it could be a strong finish to the year.

Sevach
Sevach

Space-heat wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 20:47

Can the argument not be made the Mcl were better on pace as they used their tires more. I agree though we won't know the car until we run in Austin. If we can hold our own in Baku and Singapore and if the new FW in Austin gives a similar boost as Mcl in Miami it could be a strong finish to the year.
It is a fair argument, feel like Charles would've taken Lando both on 1 stoppers.

Piastri still had a solid lead and was more or less on pace with Charles, he could have survived but maybe not.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Sainz confirms that on paper Baku, Singapore and Vegas are good opportunities to do well.

In order to fight for more, they need to see where they are in Austin.

Vanja #66

Sevach wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 20:59
It is a fair argument, feel like Charles would've taken Lando both on 1 stoppers.

Piastri still had a solid lead and was more or less on pace with Charles, he could have survived but maybe not.
Piastri's stint on Mediums is interesting. He got them to start degrading a lap after Leclerc, who was pushing a lot to stay close and probably suffered while in DRS range for 10 laps. Deg rate was the same for both, but that 1 lap delta ensured Piastri had a nice gap growing every lap. I wonder if Ferrari decided to push Oscar into pitting by following Lando, to ensure McLaren didn't even think about 1-stop option for Oscar. It definitely did the trick for McLaren believing Leclerc will do a 2-stop.

As for Hards, Leclerc was actively saving and McLaren was pushing, both on purpose. If McLaren was saving to extend, Norris would have fallen back earlier and Oscar would have been caught. Overtaking is another matter of course. All we know is Oscar said they couldn't have done a 1-stop
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie