2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Shakeman

Re: 2013 Malaysian GP - Sepang

Ray wrote:
siskue2005 wrote: and you know this for a fact? that Multi21 is infact team order code? any source?
Yeah, the look on Webbers face, and his body language.
Both drivers know what Multi 21 means. It may well be a setting but it also means race over bring the cars home, Webber's reaction said it all.

henra
henra

myurr wrote: But let me be clear to you, Sebastian Vettel is a liar. He knew exactly what he was doing and he deliberately chose to ignore the team orders and then lied to live TV about it when he claimed it was an accident and he didn't know about the team order. His latest statements no longer claim that, again showing that he was caught in a lie.
Come on man, you need to calm down!
I guess we all have now -after felt 150 raging posts of you on this particular topic- understood your position on this.
It is pretty safe to assume some kind of Team Order was in place as everyone (including SV) confirms it.
SV has ignored it. we can deduct this safely by looking at the result.
He has been set straight by his Team on this. Pretty openly.
He has finally apologised to the Team admitting violation of Team Instructions.
That's it.
We will not come to any new and revolutionary conclusions by turning this wheel another 100 times.
Can we move on to something we haven't regurgitated ad nauseum now?

Shrieker

WhiteBlue wrote: Again I could not believe my eyes when Rosberg made no attempt to pass Hamilton on the last lap. He had enough fuel to do so and the team order in this case was an unfair advantage for Hamilton.
It's 'oh so convenient' for you to completely neglect the fact that Rosberg overtook Hamilton 3 times, and got passed back without even once having the chance to pull away. What did you expect the team to do then ? Allow an infinite loop of overtakes and dnf both cars with 0 fuel ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

turbof1

The radio communications at 9:12, very interesting. Vettel is told at lap 25 "3 second gap, save your tyres". The next lap he was close to Webber, more like a second or so from him. I could be wrong about the 3 second gap, it could perhaps meant his current gap towards an other driver, but I think he was by then already told to keep a gap which he blatantly ignored also then.
#AeroFrodo

Ray

Diesel wrote: Source his confirmation of this please? Otherwise leave this TECHNICAL forum for good, because this place is filled with poeple that understand this technology, and multi-map settings on the McLaren standard ECU are fact.

Fanatics :roll:
So the look on Webbers face, the incredublity in his body language, the look that Seb had after the race was over, the body language of the three people (Newey, Seb, and Webber) had while in the podium hat area, and the fact that Webber mentioned what usually happens with radio calls and car settings near the end don't mean anything? All three looking like something was very wrong during the podium celebrations means nothing? I'm not a fanatic, and if you're going to want Tomba to start censoring posts, I suggest you quit calling people names when they have a differing opinion than the one you have. Seb knew what he was doing, Newey knew that he had made the call for them to hold station, and Webber was clearly pissed that the multi 21 call was ignored by Seb. See it how you like, but you should be cognizant of who you call a fanatic. Don't urge Tomba to censor posts if you're going to call people names. There is quite likely a setting called multi 21 inside the McLaren ECU, but that doesn't mean it can't be classified as something particular to each team.

Dragonfly
Dragonfly

Ray wrote:
Diesel wrote:For the record, Multi 21 is a setting on the steering wheel. It will be a configuration defined by the team which will include things like fuel mixture and engine maps. It's nothing to do with car numbers, nothing to do with overtaking, and nothing to do with team orders.

Once again, people are blurring the line between team orders and an instruction from a race engineer. Vettel doesn't deserve any praise from ignoring instructions from his race engineer.
For the record, you obviously didn't see them talking in the room before the podium. Mark clearly said that multi21 wasn't just an engine mapping setting. Unless you know for a fact, verifiably, that it means nothing else then you're just warping reality to fit your opinion. Multi21 means something more than change engine mapping to save fuel, it's a hold station order that Seb obviously ignored to benefit himself knowing nothing will happen to him because Red Bull screws Mark at every opportunity.
I think what Diesel wrote is most probable. No one knows for a fact. Multi 21 may mean "Multifunction switches at positions 2 and 1". Which may be a preservation and economy mode and supposed to imply holding station also. But I don't see it as a coded message now that team orders are not banned and we hear some direct explicit instructions over the radio. We don't know how much it affects car performance and whether it is not possible to fight and overtake with such mode on.
One thing I know is I was excited to see two teammates battle for the win. Something which some people here may not even have live memories about.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

SilverArrow10

Could Multi 21 be the engine setting that Webber was on when Vettel passed him when his engine was turned down? something that Vettel should have been on but wernt.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Lurk

Errr. there is only one "multi" switch on the wheel and it is octogonal. I don't think RBR counts like that: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 21.
So yeah, "multi 12" and "multi 21" are code to freeze positions.

Ray

Dragonfly wrote:But I don't see it as a coded message now that team orders are not banned and we hear some direct explicit instructions over the radio.
When have Red Bull been forthcoming over the radio? When have they ever stated something like "hold station" explicitly over the radio? They haven't. Not even in Silverstone last year. They are among the last, if not the last team to ever say anything over the radio in plain English. The drivers were told to hold station, end of story. The proof that is the palpable tension between all three teams members in the pre-podium area. Webber stated very plainly "Multi 21 Seb,.......yeah, multi 21" and in between the first and second times he said it, his body language was "what the hell, man"? It's very obvious what that call means inside Red Bull. The utter silence afterwards is all the confirmation that anyone with any sense needs. It was a call to hold station, and Webber was the only one to honor it. Just like he did in Silverstone when he was clearly faster than Seb, but was told, with radio code, to back off and he did. Team orders suck, but if you are going to allow it, and it is, don't try and act like you don't do it. Even Ferrari don't hide it as much as Red Bull does. It's posturing where it isn't necessary. Webber obviously feels screwed, so there's more to "multi 21" than such dial the wick down.

Horner even said that it was a team decision to stop fighting and hold station, and they (Seb) took it on their own to continue racing after they were told to back it down. It's clear cut, Seb did something he was told not to do.

I quote Horner, SkyF1 coverage if you want to doubt me:
"We are, um, gave instructions to both cars after the final stop, of course Mark, you know, is going to feel aggrieved by it, you know but the instructions were clear, clear for all to hear, and the drivers have taken it into their own hands."
Last edited by Ray on 24 Mar 2013, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

Neno
Neno

SilverArrow10 wrote:Could Multi 21 be the engine setting that Webber was on when Vettel passed him when his engine was turned down? something that Vettel should have been on but wernt.
Multi 21 is replica of "Agenda 21". Agenda 21 is a non-binding, voluntarily implemented action plan of the United Nations with regard to sustainable development. And sustainable development in Red Bull is arranged in advance deal between teammates on passing each other on track, in case of "stealing" teammate win :wink:

Joie de vivre

I just think it means lean fuel mix or remain on your station. But whatever it means I'm pretty confident they both know what it means.

It is what it is but I'm sure Webber won't forget it for a long time. And this can end pretty badly for Vettel.

myurr
myurr

Ray wrote:
Dragonfly wrote:But I don't see it as a coded message now that team orders are not banned and we hear some direct explicit instructions over the radio.
When have Red Bull been forthcoming over the radio? When have they ever stated something like "hold station" explicitly over the radio? They haven't. Not even in Silverstone last year. They are among the last, if not the last team to ever say anything over the radio in plain English. The drivers were told to hold station, end of story. The proof that is the palpable tension between all three teams members in the pre-podium area. Webber stated very plainly "Multi 21 Seb,.......yeah, multi 21" and in between the first and second times he said it, his body language was "what the hell, man"? It's very obvious what that call means inside Red Bull. The utter silence afterwards is all the confirmation that anyone with any sense needs. It was a call to hold station, and Webber was the only one to honor it. Just like he did in Silverstone when he was clearly faster than Seb, but was told, with radio code, to back off and he did. Team orders suck, but if you are going to allow it, and it is, don't try and act like you don't do it. Even Ferrari don't hide it as much as Red Bull does. It's posturing where it isn't necessary. Webber obviously feels screwed, so there's more to "multi 21" than such dial the wick down.

Horner even said that it was a team decision to stop fighting and hold station, and they (Seb) took it on their own to continue racing after they were told to back it down. It's clear cut, Seb did something he was told not to do.
Even Rocky, Vettel's race engineer, said over the radio that "there was some explaining to do." It's incredible that some people are trying to claim there was no team order...

Nando
Nando

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

JMN wrote:I thought so too. However, I don't know how much sense it makes based on this picture
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v66/I ... ll-VET.jpg
Interesting. Maybe it increases more aggressively then so the last number is 21 or something.

There´s only 8 or 10 faces on it so i don´t know what to make of it.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

turbof1

Lurk wrote:Errr. there is only one "multi" switch on the wheel and it is octogonal. I don't think RBR counts like that: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 12, 21.
So yeah, "multi 12" and "multi 21" are code to freeze positions.
It could also be something like "multi 2" on the wheel, with the "1" belonging to a related setting, or a team demand/order/strategy.
#AeroFrodo

Lurk

Re: Red Bull RB9 Renault

Nando wrote:Looks like it´s set to Multi 14 there. The one on the other side seems to be apart of it.

As it would not have room to hold 21 numbers on that single knob. (Octagon)
"C" is "C" and "multi" is "multi". 2 different things. Otherwise both would have been marked as "multi"

Plus "C" exists only since the RB8 while "multi" was already there in the RB5.