Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Red Bull RB19

organic

CriXus
CriXus

F1 Aero Analysis : Red Bull Racing RB19 Floor Analysis | LATERAL DOUBLE DIFFUSER ??

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

I feel like the analysis of Red Bulls strakes at 6:40 is incorrect. The inboard strake on the RB19 is definitely more straight up until the final kick, as apposed to the double kick nature outlined in the video

vorticism

No louvers for Canada.

racefans.net:
𓄀

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

vorticism wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 16:51
No louvers for Canada.

racefans.net:
https://i.postimg.cc/BQK6Nsch/Screen-Sh ... -50-AM.png
In wet conditions, probably not needed.

Are the teams allowed to change cool gills in parc ferme?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 16:53
vorticism wrote:
No louvers for Canada.

racefans.net:

They were closed for the race. It was very cold today. The car struggled to keep tire temperature.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

AR3-GP wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 21:51
Just_a_fan wrote:
18 Jun 2023, 16:53
vorticism wrote:
No louvers for Canada.

racefans.net:

They were closed for the race. It was very cold today. The car struggled to keep tire temperature.
Thanks.

Are they allowed to open them in PF if conditions change?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

vorticism

Given that we've seen the letterbox sidepod inlets used at both low and high downforce circuits, safe to say it's a permanent change this season.
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This may be a bit subjective, but when I look at the contouring of the RB floor, there are some areas where it doesn't look like something that a human could draw. Some of the height variation and seemingly random scalloping (like a potato) almost looks like it's been generated using an adjoint method or some other optimization algorithm.

Zynerji

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 04:38
This may be a bit subjective, but when I look at the contouring of the RB floor, there are some areas where it doesn't look like something that a human could draw. Some of the height variation and seemingly random scalloping (like a potato) almost looks like it's been generated using an adjoint method or some other optimization algorithm.
I'm sure there is a GPT for that somewhere. 🙄

Farnborough
Farnborough

AR3-GP wrote:
Clearly it's of a different level in detail than the competitors, that's obvious to even the most casual observers.

But origins.....if the design team intent was calling for maximum volume in that space above the reference plane, then it just looks like a scan of the bottom of the car, sans floor. If those dimension were aggregated with conditional radius etc, then that would be a close assimilation of the floor we see now.

In essence, rather than approaching with the design direction of producing a inverted wing form, as the more simple floor example displays, create the component set to give the volume space asked for to maximise the volume in that area, then effectively "shrink wrap" it to produce the surface.

It's not as simple as that, I know that. But of very different intentions between the two design aims.

Bill
Bill

Farnborough wrote:
22 Jun 2023, 08:22
AR3-GP wrote:
Clearly it's of a different level in detail than the competitors, that's obvious to even the most casual observers.

But origins.....if the design team intent was calling for maximum volume in that space above the reference plane, then it just looks like a scan of the bottom of the car, sans floor. If those dimension were aggregated with conditional radius etc, then that would be a close assimilation of the floor we see now.

In essence, rather than approaching with the design direction of producing a inverted wing form, as the more simple floor example displays, create the component set to give the volume space asked for to maximise the volume in that area, then effectively "shrink wrap" it to produce the surface.

It's not as simple as that, I know that. But of very different intentions between the two design aims.
they are using technology from oracle yacht racing but all team use cfd to some degree

Cassius
Cassius

It seems most of the aero work by RB is done on the floor. The overall concept of the sidepods haven't been changed since the 2nd week of Bahrain testing in 2022, bar some small changes and the update in Baku.
The next upgrade will be a new floor, likely appearing in Silverstone.

Do you think there is still anything to gain from improving the sidepods, for example by adding a waterslide such as the AMR23 has?

If so, you think the aero penalty is the reason we haven't seen any changes to the sidepod concept and RB just focuses on the area where they think they can gain the most. And we just have to wait for the RB20 when they have a bit more aero time to see whether they also move to a waterslide sidepod?

joeyg02

Long time member, rarely ever post comments. I'm more of an observer.
But anyway... I was looking online at some pictures and came across this one of the Red Bull (Monaco 2023) without the engine cover. Can anyone tell me what the square thing above the engine is (one of it's supports is bolted on to the left of the watermark)? Doesn't look like it's something that stays on the car when the covers are placed back on it. My best guess would be some sort of stand or object to help the mechanics in some way, but like I said i'm clueless. I'm just curious and I knew if anyone could answer this question it would be you all.

Thanks in advance,
Joey
Drafting & Design Engineer - I crave information & live in a never ending quest for answers to whatever piques my curiosity.

Joey Griffin - Owner - JG GraphX.
Lifelong Motorsport Fan from Southern Georgia, United States.