2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 22:05
cliffgamerz wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 21:39
All the people think RedBull will dominate because Max put in a time 1 sec ahead of everyone, the real reason he was 1 sec ahead of everyone was because today was the only day he gets to do a representative qualy lap at late evening since tomorrow Perez is driving whole day and Friday he gets the morning run, the conditions of qualifying was only possible for him today, tomorrow we an expect many drivers run qualy runs before doing Race runs like we always get. We will get McLaren qualy pace from Oscar tomorrow and that's vital for us to know where McLaren stands
Perez drives in the morning tomorrow. Verstappen again in the evening. Perez full Friday.
I think they changed plans, two days back it was different.

organic

cliffgamerz wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:48
AR3-GP wrote:
cliffgamerz wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 21:39
All the people think RedBull will dominate because Max put in a time 1 sec ahead of everyone, the real reason he was 1 sec ahead of everyone was because today was the only day he gets to do a representative qualy lap at late evening since tomorrow Perez is driving whole day and Friday he gets the morning run, the conditions of qualifying was only possible for him today, tomorrow we an expect many drivers run qualy runs before doing Race runs like we always get. We will get McLaren qualy pace from Oscar tomorrow and that's vital for us to know where McLaren stands
Perez drives in the morning tomorrow. Verstappen again in the evening. Perez full Friday.
Just take it from the source

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

BMMR61 wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:03
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:24
mwillems wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 23:22
Oscar was setting the car up all morning, ready for Lando to do some longer runs.

For all we know, the car is rubbish. Or... the team are hiding a ton of pace and are sandbagging.

I doubt it is either of those things to be honest. I suspect the team came into the session with their deltas already planned and are just minding their own business, being careful not to push the car too much to ensure they don't lose any testing time.

Doesn't mean they aren't fast (or slow), just means we can't possibly know what they are up to and that second guessing it all doesn't really work.
If Oscar was setting the car up, that would have been for himself though. Surely Norris would have gotten inside and maybe preferred some changes.
It's good that Lando and Oscar have fairly similar setup directions so the afternoon session should have been quite a linear continuum of the earlier setups. Oscar's gentle comment "The car felt reasonable and I would say there are some differences from last year which are moving in the right direction" is promising, in tune with the Stella administration the chat is very chilled and short on hyperbole.
Yeah, I'm hopeful this points to a good evolution of last year's car. How did the longer runs look?

mwillems

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 07:50
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 07:48
These are just tests. It's too early to read the lap analysis. Verstappen did his best lap when the track conditions were optimal. The road surface is clean, there is enough rubber, optimum conditions in cooler conditions, there is a lot more grip. Lando showed his lap in the first laps of the outing. That's roughly speaking. Then he just switched to working on a long series of laps. Conditions are different, plus by that point, Lando hadn't had time to get used to the new car. Maybe today and tomorrow we'll get tighter results in the same conditions.
Max did a lap a couple of minutes after Lando's 1.32.5 that was a 1.31.7. So that was with comparable conditions. However it's obvious that McL are running with lower engine than RB on day 1, and like you say Lando would've been less up to speed
I tried to get that from the data yesterday but couldn't. What is in the data that leads you to that idea of different modes?

I was looking at gear selection and RPM but I couldn't see anything. Only that the continued and balanced time loss through the lap did lend itself to that idea.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Feb 2024, 09:06, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

cliffgamerz
cliffgamerz

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:51
cliffgamerz wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:48
AR3-GP wrote:

Just take it from the source

Thanks but i dont follow them on X so i didnt know, i saw the table on Crash.net which was unrialble i guess and they modified it presently it shows as your X post.

De Wet

Aero rakes on the car again...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

organic wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
These are just tests. It's too early to read the lap analysis. Verstappen did his best lap when the track conditions were optimal. The road surface is clean, there is enough rubber, optimum conditions in cooler conditions, there is a lot more grip. Lando showed his lap in the first laps of the outing. That's roughly speaking. Then he just switched to working on a long series of laps. Conditions are different, plus by that point, Lando hadn't had time to get used to the new car. Maybe today and tomorrow we'll get tighter results in the same conditions.
Max did a lap a couple of minutes after Lando's 1.32.5 that was a 1.31.7. So that was with comparable conditions. However it's obvious that McL are running with lower engine than RB on day 1, and like you say Lando would've been less up to speed
Also, for what it's worth, Max had been in the car all day, would probably have been a bit more settled in than Lando.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

organic

mwillems wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:55
organic wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
I tried to get that from the data yesterday but couldn't. What is in the data that leads you to that idea of different modes?

I was looking at gear selection and RPM but I couldn't see anything. Only that the continued and balanced time loss through the lap did lend itself to that idea.
Honda usually revs lower than Merc and the lack of difference in the revs between them is indicative. Plus non-linear time gain along every straight unrelated to quality of their respective corner exits

mwillems

organic wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 09:09
mwillems wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 08:55
organic wrote:

Honda usually revs lower than Merc and the lack of difference in the revs between them is indicative. Plus non-linear time gain along every straight unrelated to quality of their respective corner exits
Yeah the second certainly lends itself I agree. I was thinking about rev differences too but disregarded it at this point because gearing could affect it so wasn't confident to run with that idea, but on balance it's probably at least some of the difference.

One thing to note is that with DRS open, RB did not gain additional speed advantage, something the team were looking at.

Edit: Looking at the last 8 races of last year, I don't see too much difference in RPM, so I think I'm going to wait to see how this pans out, still not sure I can see definitively that we are running a different mode, though I'd still think so based on the logic of the far too consistent time loss through the lap.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Feb 2024, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

haza
haza

Gotta love the downshifts on the McLaren listening it has such a barky downshift compared to the other merc cars

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
LionsHeart wrote:
Yes, but later Max did 1.31.3.
Last edited by LionsHeart on 22 Feb 2024, 10:11, edited 1 time in total.

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems

In general, around 19-20kph difference with DRS open vs closed, so it seems like most have worked through the DRS efficiency trick.

Not that it counts for anything, but I was thinking yesterday how pretty the beam wing is, like a butterfly.

-Bandit

mwillems

Anthony Davidson suggesting that the Mclaren looks easy to drive and doesn't seem to have "any spite" in the way it reacts to being driven.

-Bandit

organic

first proper stint of the day