2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

Didn’t want to imply that the folks at AM are stupid or something like that. I think is quite “easy” to pay the price balance wise when trying to add performance to the car. It happened to many teams in the past.

I was so impressed looking at the AMR23 in Bahrain last year. The balance in race trim was remarkable.

SSJ4
SSJ4

5th fastest in race trim

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Xyz22 wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:57
Didn’t want to imply that the folks at AM are stupid or something like that. I think is quite “easy” to pay the price balance wise when trying to add performance to the car. It happened to many teams in the past.

I was so impressed looking at the AMR23 in Bahrain. The balance in race trim was remarkable.
Yeah,but this car still much faster as last year car on race pace. I mean if they would run the same time as last year then still would be damn good on tyres Aston.
2023:
https://www.formu1a.uno/wp-content/uplo ... 40x397.jpg

yinlad

Traffic looks horrendous here this year, worse than before with the extra load. Wouldn't shock me to see the top 3 or 4 runners disappear on Saturday with everyone else stuck around a quali outlier like a HAAS starting p6 or something, hopefully Fred can be one of the top 4...
MVRC - Panthera

diffuser

Xyz22 wrote:

I was so impressed looking at the AMR23 in Bahrain last year. The balance in race trim was remarkable.
Last years car was strong on the rear and that's about it. Was slow in quali and slow in front limited. So the AMR24 looks to not be as strong in the rear but much better in quali. Hopefully they don't fall into the 2023 Ferrari trap where they could never fix the deg issue.

Waz
Waz

Is the rear weakness maybe something to do with the new Mercedes designed suspension?

Possibly haven't had enough time yet to figure it out.

dren

diffuser wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:39
Xyz22 wrote:

Last years car was strong on the rear and that's about it. Was slow in quali and slow in front limited. So the AMR24 looks to not be as strong in the rear but much better in quali. Hopefully they don't fall into the 2023 Ferrari trap where they could never fix the deg issue.
Didn't they sort of get "forced" the rear suspension on them from Merc?
Honda!

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

The full fuel fp2 delta is higher than folks around them and maxs laps were around 0.6 faster at a min. Merc and Ferrari looked better too. Low fuel single lap pace is good. And last stint at Bahrain his deg was not much plus laps were just a lil slower than Perez.

Maybe my observation could be wrong, let’s see how it goes in the race.
MichaelxScarn wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:18
nowaysthatsreal wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:15
I don’t think it’s tyre degradation, my sense is car balance isn’t great in full fuel race mode. Not a problem that can be fixed easily.
Xyz22 wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:10

Quite a lot of deg in this track as well on the mediums. First sector times going up yep.
May I ask where that sense is coming from?

Alo_Fan

Such a shame that it seems we have the worst deg in the field, the drop off from Alonso's first laps to his last in his stint were the largest out of anyone (bar Stroll). It seems like he could genuinely get a pole position at some point this year, but it clearly is the wrong direction to take in terms of maximising one lap performance as opposed to race pace.

Alo_Fan

nowaysthatsreal wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:46
The full fuel fp2 delta is higher than folks around them and maxs laps were around 0.6 faster at a min. Merc and Ferrari looked better too. Low fuel single lap pace is good. And last stint at Bahrain his deg was not much plus laps were just a lil slower than Perez.

Maybe my observation could be wrong, let’s see how it goes in the race.
MichaelxScarn wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:18
nowaysthatsreal wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 20:15
I don’t think it’s tyre degradation, my sense is car balance isn’t great in full fuel race mode. Not a problem that can be fixed easily.
May I ask where that sense is coming from?
First laps in the stints are fine, it's the last laps which are dreadful. Was the same in Bahrain, at the beginning of stints Alonso was competitive but then the longer they went on the bigger the gap to the other cars.

Bisonas

Traffic was bad in did for ALO.
Alonso was doing mid 34s but he started to catch up with MAG ahead fast.
He then made the decision (i guess) to test tire behavior running close to another car.
He closed up on MAG & stayed within 1-2 second for a few laps IMO destroying his tires.
He was still doing mid to high 34s, but doing that behind another car meant he was asking more of the tires & taking life out of tires in medium & fast corners while gaining some time in the slipstream of MAG and the straights.
Overall, not the best practice regarding tire management.
After he realized he can't pass MAG on the straight and already running some laps 1-2 sec behind MAG, he then decided to back off, make some space from MAG ahead and continue his run. The 1.40.237 time was because he slowed down before the last corner to make space between him and MAG.
After that it was obvious that the tires had taken a beating. There where not in their best shape.
He was also running with a few laps older tires compared to HAM RUS and SAI.
I just wanted to point out that lap times alone, don't always tell the whole story in a long run.
VER was running alone in his run. He had a perfect long run.
Overall from what i saw today, RBR long run pace and tire deg is the best by far.
Easy 1-2 in the race if you ask me, if no issues in the race.
Behind them though AMR Ferrari Mercedes and Mclaren IMO are probably in the same ballpark.
I wouldn't worry that much about todays long run tbh.
I am still "cautiously" optimistic for tomorrow that ALO can fight for positions 3-5 in a normal race.(If he qualifies well)
I don't think that their simulations today would put them 9-10 in this race as it was the case last week, as they said.

diffuser

Waz wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:42
Is the rear weakness maybe something to do with the new Mercedes designed suspension?

Possibly haven't had enough time yet to figure it out.
Maybe.

diffuser

Alo_Fan wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:49
Such a shame that it seems we have the worst deg in the field, the drop off from Alonso's first laps to his last in his stint were the largest out of anyone (bar Stroll). It seems like he could genuinely get a pole position at some point this year, but it clearly is the wrong direction to take in terms of maximising one lap performance as opposed to race pace.
You mean the top 5 not the WHOLE field ...
I don't see any runs by Norris on the Medium tire in FP2. His HARD tire run of 5 laps was good but Hard Deg will be lower. maybe Live timing is off ?
Last edited by diffuser on 07 Mar 2024, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Alo_Fan

diffuser wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 22:45
Alo_Fan wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 21:49
You mean the top 5 not the WHOLE field ...
I don't see any runs a by Norris on the Medium tire in FP2. His HARD tire run of 5 laps was good but Hard Deg will be lower. maybe Live timing is off ?
Can you show me a worse drop off, percentage wise from any other driver on their race run?

xReVo
xReVo

Don't even think about the fact that this car could fight for pole position. It probably improved in the flying lap compared to last year, but it is by no means the best car in qualifying. Don't take Alonso's time in fp2 of 1.28.8 as a reference because I remember that Verstappen did 1.28.4 in fp3 last year and last year's pole was Perez's 1.28.2 (With Verstappen it would be 1.27.8 i believe) So this year it will drop in my opinion to the low 27. Horrible race pace, they will fight for the same positions as Bahrain.